The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The Speedy Pro is a great watch no doubt about it. However, its not the only watch to have gone into space...Seiko, Rolex, Breitling, Sinn, and Fortis to name a few have been in Space. I think its a great historic footnote and does make the Speedy a conversation piece. Still, you previously referred to it as more of a tool watch, and to me, as great as it is, today's Daytona is a bit more tool watch. Once the time has been set and its running, I can wear it and forget about it. I don't have to wind it, it has a 3 day power reserve, and I can wear it to go swimming or snorkeling. I don't know about you, but I'm not that friendly with Richard Branson, so its more likely I have a better chance of being at someone's beach front property or a house with a pool and going swimming than I do of being on someone's personal space shuttle.

The Speedy definitely beats it in the price department, I guess I was lucky to get in early well before they were anywhere near 5 figures. As for your desire to have a flyback or split second chrono if its a 5 figure watch... I don't think a flyback function or split second would add to my overall enjoyment. Could have bought a BP with Flyback several years ago for less than my Daytona...just never able to fall in love with their designs.

As I've said before, both a great watches and each is iconic enough to justify having one of each in a collection.
    I think its fine that AP has a much sportier offshoot of the RO line, with the Offshores. I find them clunky, a bit silly with all the bright colors and funny names Bumble Bee, Volcano, Safari etc. I'm not sure I understand how AP collectors get so excited about buying essentially the same watch over and over again just with a different color set of hands and chapter ring around the dial? Also, I won't go into my pet peeve again (some of you have already read it), but they make a new limited edition basically anytime someone blows their nose. After a while if you do a lot of "limited" editions...how limited or special are they? The one Offshore that I do like a lot is their Scuba.

The suspense is killing me!!! [​IMG]
    The dial swap is a big pain here in the US. You can only get the dials on Ebay or some other source, Rolex USA won't sell them to you, and even if they would, they only sell parts here with the buyer exchaning the old part toward the new (not that you get a discount for the "traded in" part. And if your watch goes in to Rolex for service, you have to swap the dial out again. Rolex will not work on the watch until its "corrected." I've heard in Europe Rolex isn't quite as tough with parts as they are here.
    Hi, its 16610V. Everyone calls them LVs (lunette verde) for the green bezel, but the reference number only uses the V.
    Excellent choice! Definitely my favorite version of the old manual wind sun/moon. I tried one on many years ago, but even with a healthy discount back then it was more than I could consider. Still one of my favorite Reverso designs.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

its killing me too, dino. believe you me.

3. no frills

no frills Senior member

I'll stop asking you about what's next on your hunt... at least in public. [​IMG] Best of luck in making sure you land that next one!

For 2015 I'm looking at a two-word complication that has the initials "M" and "R." It will, ideally, be from a watchmaker whose initials are "P" and "P" and the "MR" complication won't be the only complication on the piece. Because I am still somewhat sane, I will not pay retail for something currently in production so unfortunately it will not be a 7 figure watch.

F*ck I hope it's not a 7 figure watch. Otherwise kill me now. It will be an excruciating death if my wife has to do it.

They work by having you squint your eyes, check what % of the moon is showing at a given time of the month, and then gasp at how beautiful the display is. Here, have a look:

[​IMG]

I just had a look and now I have to wipe my drool.

stitchy, I await your comment about that dot between "31" and "1"...... [​IMG]

wurger, kidding aside the moonphase display basically does what its name implies: tracks the phases of the moon through each day of the month, and if it's a perpetual calendar, for example, it adjusts for different lengths of the Gregorian calendar month (28/30/31 days on regular years, 29 days in February during leap years, etc). You don't have to reset it for a hundred years or so or something to that effect, so basically it'll be my great grandchildren's problem once the adjustment needs to be made.

But practically speaking if you have the watch wind down and/or have it serviced every few years then it's not like the moonphase will really run for 100+ years uninterrupted... it's still an interesting concept in my mind. Now, whether that would justify the extra premium a watchmaker may want to charge for that "extra" complication is, as usual, in the eye (and pocket) of the collector/wearer.

4. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Hey Frills, just a quick question.

So, currently you own several pieces that really are, for all intensive pieces, end-game pieces. But now you are thinking about obtaining THE endgame piece, the M-R. Is this just evidence that there really is no such thing as the "out" watch? What is drawing you to go down this path? And why stick with PP? I think that it would be very interesting to see the "rationale" of purchasers at your point in the game!

Let me elaborate a bit more. Let's pretend that I have a perp cal chrono from PP, and a few other complicated timepieces from PP. I think that at that point, I would probably move laterally instead of vertically. Maybe stray into AL&S, VC, some vintage pieces, and for me, DEFINITELY independents. I just would really enjoy hearing your side of things on this! I apologize if I am prying, but I know that you are pretty open about your frillyness :)

:slayer:

5. no frills

no frills Senior member

No need for apologies, Nuke. I appreciate all that you share, and your line of questioning reflects the kind of thoughtful approach that I've come to like about folks who frequent this thread. I'm still not convinced that I'll blow that much funds on a PP MR + whatever-complication, but I'm attracted to the usual stuff that we like: relative rarity, elegance in execution and decoration/finishing, a great and storied history would be a plus too, and the kind of skill it requires to create that blend of engineering and art. A watchmaker who works for Patek told me that the split seconds chronograph is actually the most challenging complication to execute/perfect, while the minute repeater complication is of course elevates the piece in terms of rarity. I've handled vintage pieces, AL&S, VC and AP at various levels too, and for whatever personal reason they just haven't sung to me as much as PP has, levels of complication held constant. Have I been brainwashed? Is it all PP's marketing? Can't rule out factors influencing my id here, but given limited resources it becomes a question of which "end-game piece" I need to get, whether I can find pleasure in the interim by enjoying a rare double red Sub/SD or - given my current stable - whether I should keep my eye on the "prize" (which, given PP's price points, require quite a bit of focus indeed).

The 2015 timetable is just a straw man - it may take me a decade to get there after all. Maybe I won't ever get there. I've got to say though that there is something different about this "hunt" - I am not as "hungry," I find no great need to immediately scratch that itch, and it's relatively easy for me to say "yeah, that piece is nice, maybe someday, maybe never" when faced with some really beautiful watches. Perhaps this is a sign that I'm at relative peace - even if I look around, even if I had "if I won the lottery and/or saved up a ton over a decade" pieces, I could honestly say I'm pretty content with what I've got.

And yet that doesn't mean that I don't visit this thread several times a day. Or that I don't desire or covet some of the really wonderful pieces you guys share via camera pics of such great quality that my lame a** Blackberry can never hope to match.

More thoughts soon. For now my daughters just woke up! Heh heh.

6. in stitches

thanks, man! although whatever medium you ask me, the answer will likely stay the same. never know though. i, for one, hope beyond all hope, that it is a 7 figure watch. either way, an MR is a superb choice. i think you should head to PP and commission your very own MR, tourb, perp cal split seconds chrono. if ever there was an end game piece, that would be it id think.
    :) no hate here. as to maker, you love PP so i see no reason to venture to another maker, if you do, youll just end up back on the hunt for a PP MR. also, i would wager your MR comes in 2014. :devil:

7. wurger

wurger Senior member

Thanks for the explanation, No frills, and now I am reading up on PP MR, I actually didn't know what MR stood for, :embar:

8. in stitches

themoreyouknow.jpeg. TWAT cares. :)

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Cares about ridding you of all your money, that is :).

Frills: thank you much for the response, I really do find it very interesting! And you know, you certainly picked the right brand to sing to you! Does not get much better than that!

And I completely understand what you are saying. You don't really have any desired that need to be sated at this point in time, so there is no real "need" to go out there and pick up that DRSD. I am glad you have reached--to an extent--a sense of calm within your collection. I too have reached a state of relative calm, although that might be a function of currently having no income :embar:. It does feel nice when you are OK with "window shopping." I guess it is like being happy in a relationship, but taking the odd glance every now and then :). It sounds like the DRSD may have been close to causing you to stray though...

10. in stitches

FTFM. but as well, although my list of wants is almost endless, i am quite satisfied with what i have at present.

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Or at least, you will be when that new watch arrives...for a while...contentment is a most elusive mistress. :)

12. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

One of my watch goals for 2013 was being content and happy with my collection. It is a difficult exercise. I have already found a candidate for leaving my watch box (Omega Planet Ocean) and a candidate for taking its place. For some reason, the monetary diff of out and in is never in my favour. Why is that? :)

The orange PO was my summer beater for a while, and I do find it an excellent everyday watch. Still, I have a few Rolexes on bracelets, and usually end up with them instead. My white Exp II has become my go-to watch for any adventure summer or winter, or if the adventure involves submersion, I'll use my 16610, the only watch that gets a yearly test of water resistance. I've also come to prefer the thinner Oyster-cases to the more beefy PO. Still love the orange bezel, though!

The in-candidate? I'll get back to that one. Both the model and the complication has featured on TWAT recently :satisfied:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013

13. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I've often looked at this one and tried it on just because of the orange bezel.

Nice looking watch.

14. in stitches

:nodding:

Plus one. Looking forward to hearing about your potential new watch in, NS.

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

I've asked. [​IMG]

Interestingly they rarely do such commission-based work anymore. A ton of work and not enough scale for profitability; yes, they'll charge the client enough to cover the costs, but with limited resources they could have put their watchmakers to work on pieces that could be "mass produced" (to the extent that 53,000 watches a year, 25% of them quartz pieces, is "mass production"), sold potentially for higher margins and help build the brand versus being relegated to one person's private collection. The kind of people for whom PP feels "compelled" to produce special pieces also tend to be savvy negotiators who rarely allow them to charge high margins. There is one collector in the West Coast who has over 400 Pateks and who keeps the pieces in a safe, employing one person part-time to catalogue and update his collection. There are Sultans in the Middle East who demand a visit from Thierry Stern every year or so; these are the folks for whom PP might do commission-based work. Unfortunately, "Sultan No Frills" doesn't quite make the cut. Heehee.

They are strange beasts and are fiendishly rare and difficult to execute, at least at the level of finishing and decoration that PP usually requires. I am not completely convinced that the complication is (a) really to my liking or (b) worth the LARGE premium versus the stuff I already have. But there may be little ways for me to own some nice complications without completely breaking the bank.

I know Nuke posted this a while back but here's a little video from Hodinkee showcasing the current PP minute repeater collection:

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/video-...epeater-collection-chiming-for-your-enjoyment

Even cooler if you could actually have been there to try one on, right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hahaha, that too. [​IMG]

I am sated and I'm happy I can say no. The Hunger(TM) is a truly terrible thing to experience and feed. I'm glad you brought up the relationship analogy. This analogy is going to be horribly flawed, but here goes: I'm quite happy with my wife and family, immensely so. That doesn't mean I don't do a double-take every single time I see your avatar, Nuke.

Don't I know it.

An admirable goal to be sure. The hunt and the attendant adrenaline and endorphin rush is I'm sure part of the process why we still look around for "that next piece." I'm just happy I feel somewhat sated right now.

With that said, I've exchanged about 15 emails with a couple of dealers over the last 48 hours for my "2015 plans." [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.