The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hayward,

Thank's for the disclaimer about taking your post with a grain of salt, I had to. I often agree with your assessments of watches, but here...I simply can't. If you are a newbie I can more easily understand the fascination and being drawn in by Omega's marketing, "This is the watch that passed their tests and went to the moon." Yes, that may be true if you have one with Cal 321, but the current watch is simply not the same as what went to the moon. So relying on the NASA test is like saying, you wanted the car with the highest top speed in the world so you bought a current Jaguar XK8...because according to a 1964 edition of Road & Track magazine they said an E-Type Jag was one of the fastest cars in the world. It simply makes no sense. I completely, understand the historic importance of the Omega Speedy Pro, and if you like the history behind the model, I can appreciate and understand that. But a roughly 45 year old test to justify the modern version doesn't make much sense.

As for the Daytona being an old man's watch and the Speedy being more exciting to operate, I've used both. While I think both are great watches, I didn't find the Daytona to be for old people, nor did I find the Speedy Pro more exciting to use. If you are using your Speedy Pro and finding it more exciting, what are you doing with it? I hope they explained to you it gets strapped to your wrist and not to your...never mind...have your fun.[​IMG]

Both are great watches and owners need not justify choosing one over the other. Each is a great choice...although having both is probably even better!

+1

Spot on !
    I like the use of titanium for a watch. Its definitely a nice change from steel, and its great on watches with large cases and what would normally be very heavy bracelets. However, that design just doesn't call to me. Sounds, like maybe it doesn't work for you either, but at least you found a use for it. Who knows, maybe at some point it will get sold or traded for something that will get actual wrist time.
    Very accurate and interesting statement (+ disclaimer). Doesn't appear that the amber 80 proof liquid affected your writing skills.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

newC - great speedy post, very well done.

agree with points about present speedy not being old speedy, and i cant possibly imagine the daytona to be an old mans watch. that is reserved for the all yellow gold day/date in my book. also, do not agree that a chrono is primarily a tool watch. most people rarely, if at all, use the chrono function. its just another complication to most people, or a pleasant dial layout.

3. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Daytona vs Speedy? Yes, thank you very much. I only own a Daytona for now, but that might change :)

Let me share my wonderful day with you guys! Summer has finally got a strong hold on my northern hood. Spent the day with my family on the beach, walking distance from home. The water was just a bit too cold for me, but my daughter doesn't care. We ate ice cream. Went home, had in-laws over, I escaped to the local gym and managed to get a decent workout before hurrying home to man the grill. Cooked a simple meal of salmon, veggies and potatoes. A glass of crispy dry rosé. Photographed my Daytona while my dinner companions laughed at me. Strawberries, ice cream and a local ice cider for dessert. Watched the sun set from our balcony. All good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013

4. wurger

wurger Senior member

As I mentioned before as well, while it's a tool watch, never used it as one and it's all for the looks.

5. in stitches

NS - awesome pics, and that sounds like a great day!

6. wurger

wurger Senior member

It's great to see people having a great time with family, minus in-laws where you escaped to gym, haha.

Jokes aside. Lovely dinner and wine, interesting 2 colored dial.

7. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

I know I'm pages tardy to the AP ROO party but the only ROO that over seemed vaguely attractive to me (and might still buy) was the Safari model. White face worked somehow better than usual on the hornback strap.

To wit:

[​IMG]

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Nah. Looks like lots of other ROOs, does nothing for me. The only Offshore that would possibly interest me and is a bit different, is the Scuba. However, it would need to be on a bracelet. But if the Safari puts a smile on your face, go for it!

9. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

Sorry but I'm with Hayward, I give a solid thumbs up to orig. early Speedy's for ones collection. I think when one mentions this kind of watch, it would be a remiss not to mention orig. Heuer Carrera's or Autavia's.

I do think when one is ready to spend this kind of money on a watch that they should just focus on getting the orig. rather than a re-issue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013

10. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Except that the 3570.50 has also seen EVA time, and will likely continue to do so. It's still the only watch qualified for EVA by NASA.

[​IMG]

That ain't Skylab or the Apollo Soyuz in the background. It's the ISS.

Even the X33 isn't qualified for EVA due to the alarm diaphragm. If the Daytona were a better choice, I'm sure Putin could've stolen some for his Cosmonauts.

Keep in mind of course, I never said the Daytona wasn't an exquisite piece of craftsmanship. It is. But it certainly doesn't match my aesthetic. I keep thinking of celebrities and gangsters when I see one.

As for using the chronograph function, most the time it is indeed a toy. Nevertheless I have used it for real events including fairly mundane ones.

There's also the whole value for money equation. If I'm going to pay for five figures for a chronograph, I'm going to want a fly back or split second.

11. in stitches

the lume on that orig speedy is delectable. le sigh.

i kinda like the safari. there are so many ROO models tho, its kinda silly imo.

12. wurger

wurger Senior member

Nice find of a recent Speedy Pro in space.

13. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

The only right answer to Speedy vs Daytona is "both."

I'm in London right now. Suuuch a dangerous place! Just walking past the Vintage Watch Company gives me the cold sweats ...

14. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Yeah, until you inquire about prices. Crazy expensive everywhere. Too much money in London these days, no good deals to be had. The window shopping is out of this world though. When in London, I practically live in Bond St and Burlington Arcade :embar:

15. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I kind of get the Safari more than most ROOs. It's a fun watch, but I can help thinking that any number of Panerais would be more fun for less money. Or if it has to be AP, a RO jumbo chrono seems so much more stylish in the same price range.

Or, to bring us back up to date: brand new Daytona and Speedy Pro, and change. On which subject, brilliant and thought-provoking posts Wayward and Devo. I suspect the division between these watches is not far from my own ignorant and simple-minded perspective: vintage and collectible models aside, I would like a Speedy for its history and practical feel. But I woud love a Daytona primarily because it's so damn pretty.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.