The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

That's such great coverage. When it comes time to replace my Patek straps I will consider this since Patek straps will cost you a cool $450 to $500 or so anyway, off the frigging rack, and if you want anything more special than the standard brown or black you often have to wait MONTHS.

Burgundy, gabardine, navy with light blue stitching - why can't that be too common?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  2. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

3. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Personally (2cent alert), I'd prefer a date bubble. I can't--never could--handle the "flat" date window on SD but this is still a beautiful pic

4. dbln79

dbln79 Well-Known Member

Just messing around:

[​IMG]

5. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

As overly general as that may be, I cannot completely disagree. Classic Ariel article.

Also, I went to a local watch shop today, which is a Rolex AD. Finally saw a black dialed Daytona. I have to say... I am pretty darn smitten. Just looked phenomenal on my wrist. I have never really understood the allure, but what an incredibly solid feeling watch. It just handles so nice as well.

7. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Ive decided I must investigate both panerais and daytonas

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Women love Panerai
    Kate Upton is a Woman
    Kate Upton loves Panerai

I buy Panerai

9. no frills

no frills Senior member

Although I have yet to own a Panerai, I cannot - much like Cylon's post a few pages back - deny the irrefutable logic of this post.

10. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

11. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

The message about Patek, Rolex and JLC is spot on, especially for those who want to do business in Asia.

Personally, I can care less about the other brands. I would not consider Cartier a watch manufacturer, regardless of how many in-house movements they make unless they can sustain and focus on this business for a long, long time.

12. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

Then reach out to Jacek from hqmiltion.com. I am sure he'll be able to find something.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Still not a fan of the ROO, even the End of Days Edition. Still there is no denying its iconic in the AP collecting world, and it really got collectors interested in AP's limited editions. Unfortunately, in recent years they have gone crazy releasing limited edition Offshores that seem to commemorate things nearly as uninspiring as opening a new tube of toothpaste. And even with hot models wearing them, Offshores generally do not interest me.

As for the Double Red SD, what a stunner! Don't deny yourself...that is one hot watch!!!
    Charlize is pure HOTNESS! Still I don't like the DSSD, and I don't like it on her.
    Nice Tank Francaise Chronograph.
    I've never minded the old vintage SD without cyclops, but in a way it does look like something is missing on the DR SD without it. Maybe I'm just so conditioned to seeing that overall look with a cyclops as I've seen more photos and a few Red Subs in person. I've never seen a DR SD in person.

14. wurger

wurger Senior member

Yeah, I reckon the GMT is a worthy buy only if you getting the 2 tone version, or if you can to different time zones. A SUB is perfect for every occasion.

15. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Entertaining, but a lot of fluff. What does this mean "Next to Rolex, Patek is the top high end brand in the world..." I have been a huge fan of Rolex for years, and I enjoy wearing them, but I've never thought of Rolex and Patek being in the same catagory as top high end brands. Patek, Lange, AP, VC, Piaget, and some JLCs, yes...Rolex I see them in a completely different catagory. I will say one thing I have noticed that was somewhat accurate is that several Cartier owners I know are very artistic (which is something I had not considered until reading the article). While I found the article amusing I thought there was not much value in the article.

I've owned at least 1 Daytona in some form or other since 1994, and they never fail to put a smile on my face or impress me. I used one as a daily wearer for 5 years, it was dead on accurate (maybe the most accurate watch I ever owned), banged the hell out of it, and sold it for nearly twice what I paid for it when they were nearly impossible to get brand new. Kept some of the money and used the rest to buy another one at list price.

A quick photo of the last one I purchased new back in 2005.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.