• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cylon

Reaction score
surprise surprise me and nuke agree again!!

top of the list ATM is in fact a 1675

thanks dddrees!

Im going on a cruise to celebrate July 4th,and damn I wish I had a sub to take with me

Last edited:

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frankly I cannot decide between a 5513, 1675 or a 1680

OmegaMale, can you explain to me why you say "D-Series or later" or perhaps point me toward an article?

is it about the bracelet?

Talking about Subs only, I don't think vintage is the way to go for a first-time Rolex buyer, which it sounds like Mimo might be?

If you opt for the 16610, you can get a pretty much new watch (< 10 years) that also looks -- in my opinion -- quite a bit nicer than the current generation. D-Series forward is mid-2000s, no lug holes and RRR -- which just makes it slightly less likely you'll end up with a fake.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'd dearly love a red Sub from my birth year (1969) myself, but the prices are ... unattractive.

musicboohoo[1].gif

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]The most iconic of Ahh-Nold's watches is the AP "End of Days" RO. He wore it in the movie of the same name and those sell for many times their original price and collectors love them. I've never been a fan of it. [/FONT]

"End of Days" AP ROO! Boom!

Ahnold looking SERIOUS in "End of Days"! Boom Boom!

I am not a big fan of AP ROO but this piece in titanium somehow seems very attractive to me, as portrayed in this picture. Why is that?

Boom! Boom! Boom!

(I am not sure why I ended up liking and using the term "Boom!" recently)

I would go for the 1675 or the 1680. Aesthetically though, I think I do prefer the pepsi 1675. Just such a damn good looking watch. I have really been craving one.

The 1655 is also just super cool. One of my favorite references.

But seriously speaking, this is on offer right now for me. I am sorely tempted, but I am belatedly - after the splurge from November through March - exercising my willpower.

Rolex Double Red Sea Dweller Mark IV ref 1665 baby! Ugh, so tempting.

Last edited:

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pow! Right in the feels! Get behind me Satan.

But how to resist THIS!

As you said - GET BEHIND ME (and on topic)!

In "End of Days" Gabriel Byrne was an investment banker who ended up being the Devil himself. Is that just cliche or what. I mean, I do know one or two decent investment bankers...

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

chrono24, timezone, rolex forums, google, ebay. good luck!
Where would you guys suggest I start if I am looking for a very specific year vintage rolex (1980). Condition is not as important. Any good websites specializing in vintage rolex? Timzone.com or rolexforums.com. nbTimes is a respected vintage Rolex seller. He sells from Hong Kong. If you do not want to deal with a forum, try hqmilton.com. Jacek knows his stuff. Beware that many vintage Rolex watches have been severely molested. They may come with parts that are not correct for the time period, some of which, like date dials, will be a dead give away to anybody who knows anything about Rolex. Finally, always buy a seller, not a watch.
Thanks for the advice. the condition or the 'accuracy' of the watch is less important to me than the year. I am trying to create a heirloom that my father would have bought for the occasion of my birth. Long story....

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always preferred Al Pacino's power lawyer in Devil's Advocate.

He's probably wearing that watch ...

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always preferred Al Pacino's power lawyer in Devil's Advocate.

He's probably wearing that watch ...

I loved Charlize Theron in Devil's Advocate. Then again, I love Charlize Theron. Period.

"Iconic" pic of Charlize at a Lakers game wearing a DSSD:

Lovely pic of Charlize getting all passionate about the game - while some guy with a PP Aquanaut sits beside her, most likely thinking horrible thoughts.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's such great coverage. When it comes time to replace my Patek straps I will consider this since Patek straps will cost you a cool $450 to $500 or so anyway, off the frigging rack, and if you want anything more special than the standard brown or black you often have to wait MONTHS.

Burgundy, gabardine, navy with light blue stitching - why can't that be too common?

Last edited:

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cylon

Reaction score
But seriously speaking, this is on offer right now for me. I am sorely tempted, but I am belatedly - after the splurge from November through March - exercising my willpower.

Rolex Double Red Sea Dweller Mark IV ref 1665 baby! Ugh, so tempting.

Personally (2cent alert), I'd prefer a date bubble. I can't--never could--handle the "flat" date window on SD but this is still a beautiful pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads