1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Wasn't totes random.
    Not sure if same can be said
    for chrono subdial.

:hide:

1 person likes this.
  2. Foley

Foley Member

Very good my man
    Haiku and horology
    Make good bedfellows

(That's all I've got...)

1 person likes this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

I do not love the new PP either.

Nice DJ, cyc!

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

What's the opinion on SevenFriday watches? I didn't knew those were sold in Mexico and that they were not that expensive.

[​IMG]

5. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Geneva is lost
    Now even Patek Philippe
    Makes A Douche Wrist Watch

1 person likes this.
  6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i wouldnt go that far. every company has hits and misses. im sure for people who lust after a PP complication like that but cant quite shell out the cheddar, the steel version is a welcome addition.

7. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

And it's not like that's the first ugly watch PP has issued (4980, 3733, 4715, 4910, 7071, I'm lookin' at you...)

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Well, those nba free agents signing their second, bigger contract need somewhere to go from Hublot :nest:

1 person likes this.
  9. mimo

mimo Senior member

Loving the haiku diversions; perhaps we should have a haiku-only posts day...I mean, sometimes this thread just isn't pretentious enough [​IMG] Nice to see Belli back with some trademark bile! Weirdly, on a second look, that PP is growing on me. I suspect in the flesh it's quite fun. But then it's my birthday next week and I'm trying to curry favour with Frilly. Or becoming more of a douche in my tastes perhaps...

Re. the GO rotor, I get why that might be irritating to some. I store that one as "quirky", and the same for the motif on the second hand that many don't like. I just think it's a GO "thing" and suits their slightly over-sized and very deliberate, bold design philosophy. But it's not inherently pretty like some, that's for sure.

BH: two things for you. Firstly, check out Roland G Murphy for a US-made dress watch that has some similarities of style, and is in that five grand ball park. Much more interesting, and some lovely vintage-machined guilloche dials for a bit more money, if you like that. I really like some of their watches and there's a decent range of prices. Secondly, for Mrs Hedonist, Raymond Weil does a few mechanical watches in that price range that are really rather attractive - actually, the "Maestro" automatic looks like a tribute to the GO Senator, so maybe you want one! It's 39mm so man-sized, I don't know if Mrs BH likes that kind of thing. Otherwise, Longines have a dozen different nice ladies' watches bang in that price range, both classic and sporty. Oris and Rado too, but I don't like them.

10. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Eh. Put it on leather, with the old style hands and a matte grey dial or dark sunburst dial and we can talk. As it is it's trying too hard.

11. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Very elegant ...

12. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Sold off two cherished vintage pieces this weekend. Heuer Autavia and nipple dialled Rolex 18k GMT-Master. Sad to see them go, but they were examples of my of redundancy habit :embar: I have two more Autavias and another nipple dialled 18k Rolex still. And they were not sold to finance a "mud bike", but another watch, of course. More info on that later :D

Bye bye!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. academe

academe Senior member

Just because I'm a TWAT nerd, here are some images of automatic rotors. :happy:

AL&S Sax-O-Mat:

[​IMG]

New movement in the AL& Saxonia Automatic:

[​IMG]

AP 2120:

[​IMG]

AP 3120:

[​IMG]

VC 1120:

[​IMG]

VC 2455:

[​IMG]

Micro-rotor for Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda 195:

[​IMG]

In comparison, the GO and JLC movements are more utilitarian.

GO 39-47 (which powers the Senator Sixities Panorama Date):

[​IMG]

JLC 925 (which power the Master Ultra Thin Moon):

[​IMG]

Perhaps as discussed this is an apples and oranges comparison, given the greater premiums demanded by AP, VC, etc.

How important is the movement decoration to you, compared to the rest of the watch? I've been thinking about this quite a bit given my current quest for a top-tier 2- or 3-hander...

2 people like this.
  14. academe

academe Senior member

Liking that Rolex, I must admit! :satisfied:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  15. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I set my expectations based on the price point it's competing in, I'm never going to compare the movement of a Saxonia Dual Time to a Master Dual Time. I also give a lot less cred to finishing if they are finely finishing a movement that is sourced, but that's just me personally. It's something I certainly consider, but I have found it matters less to me now as it once did. At some point I just stop checking out the watch back, at least with any frequency, yet I still find myself comparing at time or pruchase. It's also why I like NOMOS so much as I think you get a level of finishing on the movement well beyond the price point. And to your point of a two or three hander, I think I tend to consider movement finishing more on those pieces.

16. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Maybe Patek took a step too far in adding complications to that model. Something without the triple date could work.

NS - Love the nipple dials in 18k. You have great taste so I assume the next purchase will be just as lust worthy.

17. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

LOL, not sure I would go that far, but you this is the best poem yet.

18. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Not to beat the dead Costco horse, although I am sure they sell those there as well, but they had 3 Panerai's, non less that $15K, IWC Big Pilot at $12K. I guess if you are not getting any deals at AD level, you could get the 5% rebate, that is a decent discount.

19. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hahahha ! Well it wouldn't be the first time they have blundered...the Neptune, the Sculpture, the Cabriolet, and their first version of a Nautilus on a strap in the 1990s.

Details man...or at least a hint [​IMG]
    When dealing with a 2 or 3 handed time only watch, the movement and its finish is very important to me. When you are choosing something simple and elegant, often its the subtle details, and design elements that really distinguish a watch from its competitors (be it from other brands or within a brand). For me that applies to the movement as much as the dial, and case. I've yet to see the new AL&S Saxonia automatic in person. However, at least in the photo you posted I think I prefer rotor to that of their micro rotor which I find a bit heavy handed in appearance (I know weight is important but I've never been in love with AL&S's micro rotors). As for the AP cal 3120 and VC 2455, but are beautiful....but if you don't already have a watch with AP cal 2120 or VC cal 1120 they are both iconic and something I would want in at least 1 watch I own. Although, sadly...there is a rather high premium on any watch carrying those movements. For me whether a movement is made completely in house is not such an issue for me as long as it is from a very respected movement maker, THA, Lemania, Piaget etc., and top quality in terms of any revisions and finish. Wishing you luck on your journey for a beautiful 2 or 3 hander.

20. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Oh hey, I like the RGMs, particularly the Model #222. Thanks for the recommendation!

For Mrs. Hedonist I'm looking at a Raymond Weil Tango in mother of pearl, a Longines Prima Luna or Flagship and I'll see if she bites on a B&M mother of pearl/diamond. Never been a big Oris fan and Rado is a bit contemporary. Interesting designs there though.

Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.