The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

many of those watches fascinate me as well by their mechanics. i just wish they were easier on the eye.

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hey, as I always say, no watch can be everything to everyone. I can appreciate the idea of liking something that is the complete opposite of your JLC. I occasionally, enjoy wearing something that is the complete opposite of my dress watches...but for me its more like wearing a green Sub. Once we are talking spending some serious $, I just can't fathom spending it on what to me is merely an expensive fashion watch...like an RM or some of the odd independents.

I have a friend who has owned an AP RO, a Patek Nautilus, several vintage Rolex GMTs, both in steel and in all gold 1675. For a while he wanted an F.P. Journe (I like some of their simpler designs, although they have a reputation for poor reliability). I could see someone appreciating a Journe, reliable or not. However, he scrapped that idea and his new dream watch is a Richard Mille. Just not my taste. No matter how simple or how complicated I just don't care for their designs. If it makes him happy, that's great, after all its not my bank account or my wrist that will be saddled with it.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1

While I appreciate their creativeness and functions, I could never consider buying something that I didn't find very attractive.

4. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

[​IMG]
    and because this thread needs more cats
    [​IMG]

my humble contribution to this thread :) Bell and ross type professional. quartz and apparently used by the french bomb squad.
    this has been my daily wear for over 3 years now and i find it to be wonderful. sits on my wrist perfectly and the bracelet is great.
    aesthetically i love the 4 o'clock crown and the black and white dial.

i find it diverse enough to wear with the following:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sup stitchy! :slayer:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013

5. no frills

no frills Senior member

Hahahahah what an awesome comment (with attendant clarifications and disclaimers)! Boom!

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I appreciate the evidentiary reminder Dino. But more importantly, I love the 'general' lesson--never forget to save your ass! I guess there is no point in me changing my avatar over to me doing the Frills pose now.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Glad I could help. Yes, it was only after I posted that I realized, that my post could come back to haunt me if you changed your avatar to "Octomom" or yourself doing a classic Frills pose. [​IMG]

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

HOMBRE SNOW!!

Very slick looking watch. Fits your style perfectly. Bery nice to see you and your cat clan over here.

:slayer:

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Very interesting design. The crown placement at 4 reminds me of the old Ocean 2000 Porsche Design watches by IWC.

10. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Uh oh.

The run on cat photos begins in 3....2....1....

11. mMontebello

mMontebello Member

New guy here, thought I would post up a pic of my daytona.

[​IMG]

12. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

interesting Mimo. I lived in Dubai for almost a year and would agree 100%. People are always fascinated that I have actually lived there, not just visited... but are confused when I tell them it's not what all the marketing would have one believe. Not to digress too much but yeah it's basically an open-air, 24/7 construction site populated with money hungry hypocrites ... and there are a lot of expensive watches over there.
    In fact one of my friends who happens to be a sheik and the grandson of the sovereign ruler of Ras-al-Khaimah told me that one of the most common ways they smuggle money out of the UAE is by buying crazy expensive watches and then selling them in Europe, Asia or wherever they go to have extra spending cash. This is considering that the declaration free limit on cash import/export in the UAE is $60,000 USD (if you didn't know, in the US it's only $10K). wow... to be an oil-rich sheik!

13. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

cool.. so let's see the watch. :paranoia:

14. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

This page has too much joy to thumb! I find myself in Dino's camp again on the watches: the freaky designs are cool but there aren't many I would actually want to wear.

However, that floral smoking jacket is the bomb and I would totally wear it for some special social occasion. :)

(What's more, Nuke, I'm already sold on the 47mm Panny as being within the bounds of normality).

Edit: I meant the last page was full of joy. This one's pretty average, if I'm honest. I will try to thoink of something uplifting to post a bit later.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

15. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

This uplifts a certain part of me. It is just ... right.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.