The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

twas one of the highlights of my career to date. :)

newcommer - that is pretty, but something about the dial throws me. maybe the very overburdened south-side, and the very unburdened north-side? nitpick tho, its a beautiful piece.

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

So much love for TWAT going around today!

What a lovely vid. I don't think I will ever own a minute repeater in my life. But maybe if I won the lottery or found oil (or natural gas?) in my land, the dominion of which spreads over vast areas, in the millions of acres........

There is something about the way Newcomer's name is spelled in this post by Stitchy that made me LOL. But I cannot put my finger on it.

3. no frills

no frills Senior member

Wait. They are? That would be awesome. But you know what would truly be awesome? A PP that could you could sing into, and record your arias. And then play it back in tune, via a minute repeater mechanism. No software, all mechanical!

[​IMG]

4. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

Came for the minute repeaters, stayed for the civil discussion about cultural relativity and stereotyping. Is is classist to observe that watch folk generally skew toward the more articulate end of the spectrum?

5. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

A fair question, to which I think the answer is only "sometimes". I'm no watch collector (although, if it helps, my main watch is a vintage Omega!), but thanks to this thread have taken a great interest of late. Which has led me to view posts on other forums from time to time when I had a specific question. And that, in turn, has shown me that watch afficionados can be as rude, petty, small-minded and just plain stupid, as any other community online.

However, our beloved TWAT is a veritable oasis of reason, intelligence and mannerliness - a concept so alien to the 'net that even the text editor thinks it's a typo. I don't think watch folk are a class. But I do think a certain class prevails in this thread. :)

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Maybe we should, for that reason ALONE, stick to Nuke.

In regards to minute repeaters, I hate to say it, but I am COMPLETELY hooked on the concept. Shit. I wish I did not love them, but I really do. On the other hand, Tourbillons are not really my thing (lest they are hidden), so that is a plus.

And Stitch--I definitely agree that it is a bit of a bottom-heavy piece. But you know what, I kind of like it because it is a little bit odd. For some reason or another, if I am going to spend that much on a watch, it needs to have some quirk to it that brings me in.

Mimo: you know, funny enough, I really do not care for black dials on dress pieces. Purely a personal thing. I Love black-dialed sports watches, but I guess from my childhood, I always associated a white, enamel-like dial with a dress piece. I prefer white, silver, beige, or even blue-dialed dress watches.

But you are right, if you dream, you might as well dream big. The case shape on the 10-day is super aggressive too, which I enjoy.

And Omega Male: you really are not kidding about that. At the very least, people put more time and thought into their posts on this thread than others. I find that many threads on WUS are not quite to the caliber of this one.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013

7. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

I've been lurking for a long (long) time but the recent cultural discussion prompts me to ask: What's wrong with his sport coat?

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

You mean this bad boy?

[​IMG]

9. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Do you like it, HorseHide?

If so, then just like we say about watches around here......that's all that matters.

Get your floral on.

10. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

my humble answer is, "because its ugly"

11. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Aww, Cylon, now where's all that LOVE, buddy?

12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hey, if someone wants to wear a sport jacket which was made from a re- cut set of 1970s drapes, so be it.

I wouldn't wear it, but to each his own.

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Is it wrong that I am strangely fascinated by the new Christophe Claret Kantharos?

[​IMG]

I know that I am not supposed to like it. But there is just something wonderfully cool about the haute horologie sports watches sometimes. They just look very fun to wear.

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I can't say I like the watch. However, I can say that looking it reminded me to look at your avatar again, which is F&ckin hot!

PS. I figure I should qualify the above statement regarding the avatar to state that on 7/1/13 Nuke's avatar is a great photo of Kate Upton, or as one would say in court, it is a fair and accurate representation of Kate Upton when she was a supermodel. I thought this is necessary in case you change your avatar to bearded lady or female orangutan ...plus its some Bar prep for evidence.

15. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I guess you cannot 'em all! I was not expecting that much support from your camp, of course :). We will always bond over our common love over Miss Upton. My new TWAT goal is to get a picture of her wearing one of my watches. Just need to find out how to go about that...

Sometimes I do crave fun watches though. Don't get me wrong, I love my JLC, I love my Speedy, etc. But sometimes I have that little child in me that wants to strap on that 47mm Panerai and rock out.

I know I am definitely in the minority here, but Richard Mille also attracts me in that way. In a way it makes you challenge your preconceptions of what a watch is, and should be, which I find interesting. Do I think I could put that much money down on a toy? Probably not. But they do intrigue me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.