1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Got it Duy! And that is absolutely hilarious. I can't believe you saw one in the wild. Especially at Chuck E Cheese's.

And trust me, I understand. I am a 6-yearer too. I have checked this forum every day for the past 6 years. Kind of absurd when you think about it.

Being a resident of Lafayette, I don't think I have much room to talk about old cajun white dudes :embar:

1 person likes this.
  2. clb89

clb89 Member

Styleforums noobie coming in with a bang!

My collection so far in chronological order:

Seiko skx007 my entry into the watch world. I installed the dome crystal myself and love it!
    [​IMG]

Orient mako - hands changed and relumed to pay homage to omega PO (hence the red omega watchbox lol)
    [​IMG]

notice the two tone relume anyone?
    [​IMG]

Everybody's gotta have a monster ;p
    [​IMG]

Aqua Terra - my first entry into luxury market
    [​IMG]

Seamaster 300 - daily wearer quartz reliability ironically my first quartz watch lol
    [​IMG]

WUS 2012 Chinese forum project watch - blue rotor pops
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

First Rolex and my birth year watch to make it extra special. also first year 14270 was released and 1016 phased out; doesnt mean anything though lol

I was having my movement serviced and decided to refinish the case and bracelet as watch is old as me. Heres a pic without the heart. actually the watchmaker was pleasantly surprised by my refinishing
    [​IMG]

That shine! thats a 24 year old watch ladies and gents. Any avid rolex collector will notice something strange about my watch. (hint hint the lugs)
    [​IMG]

Thanks! Hope to share more in the future :)

3 people like this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

OH HAI, BUDDY!!!!!!! really glad you dropped by, and thanks!!!

so lame.

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

@clb89 , I love that last rolex. If it was mine, I'd put thinner hands on it, but it looks awesome!

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Stitchy, I see you've resorted to the time honored tradition of eating ramen for lunch to pay for kops :laugh:

6. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Waiting for day's end.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Nicee.. love that Speedy and Strand!!

8. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Match made in heaven.

1 person likes this.
  9. in stitches

finally someone gets it.

2 people like this.
  10. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

[​IMG] ... simple but beautiful ... always on top.

11. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

interesting to hear this. in london, paris and berlin they've invested in prestigious locations and the boutiques are almost intimidating, with bouncers to buzz you in etc. swatch group management is very focused on the asian spend (much of which takes place in European capitals), it's likely that smaller cities in the US are just not a priority

12. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Meh, I wouldn't read much in to anyone's individual experience. Stitch had a bad one in the States, I had a good one. Moo just said he had one similar to Stitchy's in Paris. I think like most stores, experiences can vary depending on the sales person you hit that day. Sure, it would be great if every employee at every store was great, but that's rarely the case IMO. FWIW, the boutique in King of Prussia (suburb of Philadelphia) have a "bouncer" dressed in a suit and tie that must let you in to the store as well, this is not uncommon for high end jewelry/watch stores, and I'd assume most of the other boutiques have some similar. The boutique in my area seems to be focused on the consumer that walks in and buys a Rolex because they know the brand and what the brand can symbolize. Those consumers aren't necessarily watch people, but they recognize brands. The staff I talked to at the KoP location happened to love to talk watches, and not just Omega; maybe it's the exception or maybe it's more of the rule, I'm not sure anyone can say one way or the other with any certainty. I can't even say the other employees of the boutique I visited are any good or not.

1 person likes this.
  13. no frills

no frills Senior member

To add to the topic of bouncers and security - there are legitimate risks when you're talking about portable high value inventory like watches. Cartier's flagship store on Fifth Avenue went through a smash and grab just a few months ago - after the perpetrators were foiled by the security guys at Wempe. So if it seems unwelcoming for some, it's the price some dealers have and want to pay given what they sell.

Today's timepiece. Why am I wearing this one so often? Because I missed her so much.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Looks great!

Both of the high end stores that I used to frequent here in Houston have an armed security guard who controls the door. You can't enter or exit without him unlocking it remotely.

15. in stitches

thanks, gianni!

well said. i think you hit the nail on the head. i just wonder if they might be better served with less boutiques, and to hire top notch people for these prime locations, and leave the majority of the malls to ADs. then again, they know the what the numbers are, and if they are making money, they must be doing something right, even if its not something TWATers like.

16. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Yeah, ideally, I'd like your solution. But, speculating, I'd say their current strategy plays better with their target market, or what I believe them to be at least. I think the one advantage to TWATers with having so many boutiques is that, if we are interested in Omega, we can go try on every model they carry in one spot; it's a convenience for us. Hopefully you get a good sales person, but we all do enough homework here to get by with someone who is only capable of operating a key and a lock to get out the watches we are interested in trying. But it really is an interesting topic, and something we need to talk more about one of these days in person while doing some watch tyre kicking.

1 person likes this.
  17. in stitches

man that would be awesome. maybe a KoP meetup one of these days!

18. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Anytime my dude, anytime. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

yeah they need to train these bouncer types a bit better though, i remember one eyeing me up and down at least three times before buzzing me in. i guess he was registering a shaven-headed mixed race guy in jeans, t shirt and leather jacket, but it was a distinct turn off to me; for a moment i had a ridiculous urge to pull up my sleeve and show him this :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    2 people like this.
  20. no frills

no frills Senior member

Strap looks long. Otherwise, decent watch. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.