The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wurger

wurger Senior member

my thoughts exactly, came out of lurking last month, just hit 100 posts! :D Stichy is uncatchable. haha

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013

2. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

WIS eugenics

[​IMG]

what would khan wear?

3. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Thanks. I've got a thing for pilot's watches. [​IMG]

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i meant no racism in my posts. just stating the facts. they could have been any collection of billionaires and id have stated it the same way. what was OOT to me was that the collection seemed to ooze thoughtless opulence to me. just throwing around cash almost out of boredom. but hey, thats one of the perks of being a billionaire i guess.

-

dino - glad you enjoyed my measurement term.

wurger - nice rollie.

5. no frills

no frills Senior member

Rare is the day when Stitchy isn't in the top 10 daily posts box on the bottom right hand side. During those days I send him messages asking him if he's alright. Love you, Stitchy (in a manly way)!

Wait, those post stats you quoted weren't from Belligero! [​IMG]

Congrats on becoming a Senior Member.

6. in stitches

lurv ya too, broseph.
    --

saw this on that site as well. and this, i love.

[​IMG]

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I just want to echo Stitchy's sentiments here. I meant no racism in my posts, but I apologize if they came across as such.

But kind of building on this a little bit. I have spent a good deal of time in Kuwait, Egypt, Jordan, and the UAE in the course of my fairly short life, and it is just undeniable that there are those select few who live in opulence that honestly could not even be dreamed of by many. My ex-girlfriend of several years lived and still lives in Jordan, and her father frequently took me to Kuwait and the UAE for business trips. I have been to many weddings over there, and have spent many weeks traipsing around one of the most beautiful, interesting, and culturally rich areas in the world. He was in the business of selling (a) military boats, and (b) super-yachts. Quite the profession, to say the least. I guess what I am trying to say is that I was not in any way trying to bring any sort of racial statement into my post--but rather, just highlight that there is a 'class' (and I use this in the loosest sense) that really does live in a way I could not possibly imagine.

But you are right, we do make assumptions that may or may not have some tie-in with culture. Thus the notion of the "Texas Timex." And to pick up again after Stitchy, I would same the exact same thing if this collection were stateside. Being a billionaire allows you to spend some serious dinero, and they have a right to spend the way that they want.

I was trying to make a comparison between the assortment of watches that were at that event, and the collections that some of the members, on say, the TPP have. Some of the collections on TPP, although they are undeniably expensive and extensive, are almost works of art in the way that they are assembled. There is clearly so much thought and expression going into the collection. I just thought (albeit this is merely through looking at pictures) that there was a lack of... curatorship in the collections. For example, I remember one collector owned the RM011 and the Patek 5550. That is all my statement was trying to communicate.

Also Mimo, back on a more light-hearted topic. That Tank looks delicious. Did you have a chance to try the Solo XL with automatic movement? The quartz does look very nice on your wrist though. As for the Ballon Bleu... eh I would prefer to keep that to the womenz.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Mimo, glad to see you have reached a state of enlightenment, and seen the way of the Dino [​IMG] . I think what you will find is that rectangular and square watches never have to be as large in terms of numerical measurements as round ones. They always seem to wear much larger than a round watch of the same measurements. The Tank Solo on a strap really does fit you quite well. I know they offer an XL size Tank Solo with Automatic movement, but I'm not sure if you would find it too large. The Tank is a design that has aged well, weathered the fickle tastes of fashion, and continues to look as handsome today as it did when it was released nearly 100 years ago.

I'm not really a fan of the Ballon Bleu. It reminds me a bit of the old Ebel Beluga, and I find the date and crown disrupts the entire side of the watch. But hey, we can't agree on everything or the world would be a boring place.
    I learn new things from you all the time. I believe if that form of measurement existed years ago as part of the metric system, then the metric system might have survived here in the US.

Always good to see a classic being enjoyed in a wrist shot.
    Wow, another great one that sadly I let get away years ago. That is one of my all time favorite bracelets. So comfortable, elegant, yet rugged! IMHO, that was the best bracelet IWC ever offered (I'm not a fan of the later ones).

9. no frills

no frills Senior member

I felt that way too. But granted, there wasn't much commentary on the why's and what's of how these pieces were chosen, from the website. But, not knowing who and why they chose the pieces - well, that is what left me unmoved.

For example, on the topic of the 5550P, this is the kind of post that interests me:

http://patek.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-11/pi-5938698/ti-871768/s-0/

But then again I am a nerd. And Mr Anish probably wanted to go for quantity of pics over quality. It's just that if I were the one documenting an horological experience that blew me away, well, I'd do something like this (my post at PuristSPro about the guided tour of the Patek USA facilities that I took with a few friends):

http://patek.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-11/pi-5866768/ti-862468/s-0/

But again, I am a nerd. [​IMG]

Funny aside if you didn't catch this yet: a couple of weeks after I put up that thread, I was asked to take down pics of the minute repeater haha. Apparently the owner of the piece saw the thread and preferred not to have those pics posted. I suppose it was easy to infer that there was only one 3974J perpetual calendar minute repeater with a rare champagne dial being serviced at the Patek facilities at that time, if you were the one who actually owned the piece. Haha!

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Wow...that's really a fantastic watch! Love it!!!

11. no frills

no frills Senior member

Because if you didn't see the way of the Dino......

[​IMG]

But, back to watches: no one has responded to what watch Khan Noonien Singh might wear. I propose that this is the watch that Godzilla might wear. Ornate carvings match his not-exactly-silky-soft-skin texture, and the blue might match that dragon fire he breathes.

[​IMG]

Plus, doesn't the 6002G really strike you as a "Godzilla" watch - if you have Rolexes labeled "Hulk" or "Batman"?

12. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Yes, I guess that was more what I was trying to say. I do prefer to hear the rationale behind a purchase, and the general context. And I really enjoyed the guided tour post, VERY cool.

Mwahaha, I already saved that picture into my watch pr0n drive :).

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I am sure Patek would really appreciate you making that nickname stick Frills. I feel like your next visit to their office would be less welcoming :).

14. in stitches

its a vintage piece that apparently is quite rare in that it is 40mm, not the standard 36mm that was being used back then. i think its amazing.

--
    frills - great links. the 5550 and 5140 are delicious.

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

A classic. And hey, being Asian ain't anything to apologize for. [​IMG]

Hmm. A watch genetically engineered to be superior to its forebears? First that comes to my mind is a DSSD.

Or if not, a DSSD, then in that spirit, this one:

[​IMG]

http://oceanictime.blogspot.com/2012/03/rolex-sea-dweller-deepsea-challenge_21.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.