The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

which 2? please dont say the all plat with dias oyster quartz and that yellow hublot.

2. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Patek 5100P

Patek 5970P (i know the one pictured is 5970G)

le sigh

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

good choices. dose r george-ous.

4. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

You know, I have to agree with a lot of this. Now that I have picked my jaw up off of the floor, I have to say, what an odd, odd, amalgamation of watches. It really does not look like there are many 'coherent' stories that can describe a particular collection. Just an example of rich sheiks buying what rich sheiks buy. We could just as easy be looking at a Russian oligarch get together. And I agree, TWAT is where it is at. I spend way too much time on this thread.

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

By the way Frilly, congrats on the 500 post mark. You are 1/90th of the way to catching up with Stitchy.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Great watch! One of the few watches with a Valjoux 7750 that I have always liked (along with its big brother 3713), and might consider getting some day.
    Amazing!!! Simply amazing!!!
    While I agree its very interesting to see who owns a particular watch and learn why they choose it, I still think its great in that it allowed me to see some really rare watches, along with watches I did not know existed, such as the platinum OYSTERQUARTZ. I've never heard of them being made in platinum. Also interesting to see the rare, although less attractive and quartz rectangular AP Royal Oak from the early to mid 1980s. I've only ever seen 1 in person in roughly 30 years that I've known about them. Wouldn't buy one, but still interesting to see one.
    I've been to a few collector events in the past. Some were a lot of fun. Although, the last one I attended several of the attendees were really weird...and definitely not familar with SF. There was a guy wearing an F.P. Journe, who my wife thought was a complete wacko/creep...also if he can afford an F.P. Journe he should spend money on a real hair cut rather than the bowl cut he was sporting, and he should stop dressing like its 1967 ( he couldn't have been more than 35).

Thanks for clarifying the dial issue. I knew about the date cut out...but the black ring looked like something I had never seen before. Great watch and I love it paired with the metal mesh bracelet! Enjoy it!

Quote:
    Never heard that phrase before...but such a perfect description! [​IMG]

8. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

I dunno — those don't seem any lamer in principle to me than a typical self-appointed collector's plastic case filled with catalogue-component "micro-brand" junk, it's just a higher budget. There were a few great watches in there along with the bling, and I'm pretty sure that their owners would at least have the sense not refer to themselves as "WIS"es like certain online types do.

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Hmm...nice thread, shame about the casual racism.

(Belligero - well said)

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  11. apropos

apropos Senior member

Feel obliged to mention that the Eulit Kristalls are quite stiff and very thin (much thinner than a regular NATO), so don't expect a soft and/or supple strap! They are actually (for me) marginally uncomfortable to wear initially but they do break in and soften, and the buckle/strap shortening system is pretty neat. The brown one is a muddy olive brown, not a brown brown.

12. apropos

apropos Senior member

Many older watches have acrylic crystals shaped like the bottom of a mason jar, which causes the optical distortion.

Mmm, 5450... Now that would be a grail watch for me.

Tentatively agree.

For me I understand that there are different cultures at play with some obviously valuing ostentatious displays of wealth more than others (my MIL - "only immigrants drive BMWs in Sweden"... I couldn't help but LOL).

That said... I also believe some cultures are perhaps... preferable to others, and I'll leave it at that. :hide:

[:)]

13. wurger

wurger Senior member

I apologise in advance if my watch collection is really Asian, but I am Asian. :slayer:

Rolex Datejust 36mm in action

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  14. no frills

no frills Senior member

Yes - and I think the point of my reaction was that... well, I just don't know these peeps. I enjoy the community here at TWAT because... I'm kinda part of it. Would my opinion change if the thread suddenly revealed that those wrists were actually owned by a bunch of familiar names from TWAT? Probably.

Also, for some mysterious reason I take every opportunity to abbreviate "The Watch Appreciation Thread" and write TWAT.

I can't believe I've hit 500 posts. I remember coming out of lurker status long ago and thinking "well, I suppose I should start sharing my thoughts since Stitchy has, like, 20,000 posts." Now I'm up to 500 and Stitchy is up to 45,000. Strictly speaking, my % increase can't even be defined coming from a base of zero. It's undefinably large. Stitchy's is 2.25X. Hehe.

15. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Indeed. We tend not to dehumanise people once we interact with them as friends. Despite your own "high budget" collection, there are notably few assumptions about you in the thread that are based on your (assumed) race.

/rant

So, back to watches. I have a dish of humble pie to eat, and I have to say it will go down perfectly easily. I was wrong, the Dino posse were right (why do I not just assume Dino is right about these issues?!)

Anyway, here it is: that Cartier Tank Solo isn't at all girly, despite its size. It's very attractive and perfectly manly. I said it. I am clearly an idiot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What's more, I really liked it. Especially on the strap. It's still a steel quartz watch for over $2000, so I still have some reservations. But damn, it really does look nice on the wrist. Its modest 27mm width looks way more somehow. For context, my wrist is about 7 1/4"

Of course I'm comparing it partly to my little 35mm Omega, but they have something in common: they are both on un-tapered straps (or bracelet, in the first pic). To me this makes a huge difference to how the watch looks and wears, and it's the reason I chose a thick, straight strap for that watch. If not exactly compensating for a smaller size (tee hee), I certainly think it's true that a tapered strap or bracelet makes the whole thing look and feel more delicate.

Anyway, Solo 1, mimo 0.

What's more, I couldn't help but look at this simple steel Ballon Bleu. And it pleased me much more than I expected.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the wrong-way-around phone pics...I will not be held responsible for any injuries caused by turning your head to view them in "portrait" orientation. Thank you. I love you TWATters. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.