The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartleby929

bartleby929 Senior member

there's a pretty nice vintage omega for sale in the market for other also. (kidding its mine) didnt know getting a watch serviced would cost 300 bucks

2. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Testing a blue Eulit perlon strap, a fresh summer alternative to bracelet for my Explorer II :happy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

^^ that looks excellent ^^

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Great watch...love it on the mesh bracelet. Just curious the black ring around the dial, does it actually get thicker from say the 4 O'clock marker to the 10 o'clock marker, or is that just an optical illusion caused by the watch crystal and angle of the photo?
    I like the vintage racing strap idea as suggested by Apropos.
    Not sure I like the blue with it, but that's just me. Maybe with a different color or a classic NATO.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013

5. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

That's a great looking strap, do you have a source for it? The only perlon straps I can get a hold of are the black NATO straps. And I have a tendency to go through those, as they stretch and then you have to cut and cauterize and they stretch again and then you have to cut cauterize etc.

6. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Certainly! 20mm Eulit Kristall Blau Schnalle chrom perlon from http://www.yellys.ch/zub/zub-eulit.html.

The web pages might be a little daunting if you don't read German (and even then), but send herr Fuchs a mail at info@yellys.ch with your order in English, and you will quickly receive a PayPal invoice and excellent service. The shipping was expensive compared to the strap though :)

7. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Strapped on the Flieger chrono this morning. I was lazy and set the date to 31.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Flake

Flake Senior member

+1 !

9. in stitches

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I just don't even know what to say after clicking that link.

11. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

12. no frills

no frills Senior member

There's watch p0rn, and then there's watch p0rn. For whatever reason loads of pictures of presumably impressive and/or beautiful pieces don't do it for me anymore. I kind of want to get to know who owns them, why they chose the pieces, and how they think about wearing/collecting.

Which is why without any context of who's in the event and any background of how they came to own their pieces, browsing through those images left me largely unmoved.

In other words, I felt greater joy reading through the last three pages of TWAT, learning about how you guys think about watch straps, what works with certain pieces (and what doesn't work, and why), than all those pics in that site.

Then again perhaps I am biased for my TWAT brothers (and presumably, sisters) here. [​IMG]

13. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Well said, frilly, although I did still enjoy looking at some of those amazing pieces.....once I got past that sport coat :D

I've really only been to one "collector's event" or GTG and I did meet some really nice guys there and enjoyed seeing some great watches in the metal. It's something I'd like to do more often, to be honest.

Totally get what your saying about this thread and its contributors, though. Quite valid. I am biased myself.

Good eyes Dino. There IS definitely something funky going on with the optics on that image...the black ring itself is ever so slightly notched to allow for the date window, but aside from that, it is of uniform thickness all the way around the dial.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013

14. in stitches

i have a lot to say, but cant formulate the words in a nice way. :)
    let me help out here. the who - many oil baron arab sheiks and princes. the how - they have a metric fuck-ton of money and as such, can buy whatever suits their whims and fancies.
    +1

15. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

100% right. However, I, for one, enjoyed seeing the 2 (yes 2 out of all of those watches) I will lust after my entire life and never own. Then I remembered why I stay out of the watch game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.