• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing this one again today, btw:

Great watch...love it on the mesh bracelet. Just curious the black ring around the dial, does it actually get thicker from say the 4 O'clock marker to the 10 o'clock marker, or is that just an optical illusion caused by the watch crystal and angle of the photo?
Here's a pic of it on a racing strap as suggested by Apropos.

I like the vintage racing strap idea as suggested by Apropos.
Testing a blue Eulit perlon strap, a fresh summer alternative to bracelet for my Explorer II
happy.gif

2-DSC_6329_zps40ff3b69.jpg

Not sure I like the blue with it, but that's just me. Maybe with a different color or a classic NATO.

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a great looking strap, do you have a source for it? The only perlon straps I can get a hold of are the black NATO straps. And I have a tendency to go through those, as they stretch and then you have to cut and cauterize and they stretch again and then you have to cut cauterize etc.

NonServiam

Reaction score

That's a great looking strap, do you have a source for it? The only perlon straps I can get a hold of are the black NATO straps. And I have a tendency to go through those, as they stretch and then you have to cut and cauterize and they stretch again and then you have to cut cauterize etc.

Certainly! 20mm Eulit Kristall Blau Schnalle chrom perlon from http://www.yellys.ch/zub/zub-eulit.html.

The web pages might be a little daunting if you don't read German (and even then), but send herr Fuchs a mail at [email protected] with your order in English, and you will quickly receive a PayPal invoice and excellent service. The shipping was expensive compared to the strap though :)

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Strapped on the Flieger chrono this morning. I was lazy and set the date to 31.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't even know what to say after clicking that link.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's watch p0rn, and then there's watch p0rn. For whatever reason loads of pictures of presumably impressive and/or beautiful pieces don't do it for me anymore. I kind of want to get to know who owns them, why they chose the pieces, and how they think about wearing/collecting.

Which is why without any context of who's in the event and any background of how they came to own their pieces, browsing through those images left me largely unmoved.

In other words, I felt greater joy reading through the last three pages of TWAT, learning about how you guys think about watch straps, what works with certain pieces (and what doesn't work, and why), than all those pics in that site.

Then again perhaps I am biased for my TWAT brothers (and presumably, sisters) here.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Well said, frilly, although I did still enjoy looking at some of those amazing pieces.....once I got past that sport coat :D

I've really only been to one "collector's event" or GTG and I did meet some really nice guys there and enjoyed seeing some great watches in the metal. It's something I'd like to do more often, to be honest.

Totally get what your saying about this thread and its contributors, though. Quite valid. I am biased myself.

Just curious the black ring around the dial, does it actually get thicker from say the 4 O'clock marker to the 10 o'clock marker, or is that just an optical illusion caused by the watch crystal and angle of the photo?

Good eyes Dino. There IS definitely something funky going on with the optics on that image...the black ring itself is ever so slightly notched to allow for the date window, but aside from that, it is of uniform thickness all the way around the dial.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I just don't even know what to say after clicking that link.
i have a lot to say, but cant formulate the words in a nice way. :)
Which is why without any context of who's in the event and any background of how they came to own their pieces, browsing through those images left me largely unmoved.
let me help out here. the who - many oil baron arab sheiks and princes. the how - they have a metric ****-ton of money and as such, can buy whatever suits their whims and fancies.
In other words, I felt greater joy reading through the last three pages of TWAT, learning about how you guys think about watch straps, what works with certain pieces (and what doesn't work, and why), than all those pics in that site. Then again perhaps I am biased for my TWAT brothers (and presumably, sisters) here.
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
+1

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a lot to say, but cant formulate the words in a nice way.
smile.gif

let me help out here.

the who - many oil baron arab sheiks and princes.

the how - they have a metric ****-ton of money and as such, can buy whatever suits their whims and fancies.
+1

100% right. However, I, for one, enjoyed seeing the 2 (yes 2 out of all of those watches) I will lust after my entire life and never own. Then I remembered why I stay out of the watch game.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
which 2? please dont say the all plat with dias oyster quartz and that yellow hublot.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good choices. dose r george-ous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics