The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

rnguy001 - wow, this ad actually really did run for Aston Martin?

Reminds me of one of the ads from "Crazy People" (1990) starring Dudley Moore and Daryl Hannah:

[​IMG]

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

Welcome, Omega Male. I "came out" from the "lurking closet" a few months ago after reading every page of this thread - learned a lot, laughed too, and continue to learn from the amazing peeps here.

36mm for the win! Almost all of my watches are 36mm and I think it wears fine on me, although to be fair my wrist is eensy weensy at 6.25". Beater looks great for a 10 year old piece that's used often!

Nuke, this can't possibly be me because when my wallet read your post it LOL'd and said "ha! If only it were two." [​IMG]

But seriously speaking - good peeps in this thread.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

3. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

'

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

When I lived in Boston and DC, I had no use for a car. Public transportation served me well, and left me with fund to buy other things such as watches and nice clothing. When I was away from cars for some time, I still enjoyed seeing rare or nice cars, but I didn't miss owning one.

Now, living outside the big cities I can say, its been a blast driving a fun car with Mrs. Dino, and a pack of car buddies and there wives on beautiful scenic roads, to a destination for lunch or dinner. Its also great to be able to do it wearing a great watch...so one can combine two hobbies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I saw that AM add a while ago...what a great ad!!!

Frills, Crazy People is one of my wife's favorite movies.... I love the Jag ad in the movie. I also liked the Volvo ad: "Buy Volvos. They're boxy, but they're good." and the movie ad.."Paramount Pictures presents, The Freak. It won't just scare you, it will [email protected] you up for life!"
    The lighting is bad, but I knew it was RG or WG. The bezel is a dead give away. The embossing is sportier/bolder and uses triangles to mark the numbers rather than dots and hatch marks as found on steel, two tone, or all yellow gold bracelet models.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

5. Madmax812

Madmax812 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

This funky cool vintage Seamaster chrono caught my eye in a shop today. The strap is crap and too small, but I like this retro 70s look if I could find a strap with a good matching style. Apologies for the poor photo quality.

6. Madmax812

Madmax812 Member

I searched for info on the bracelet for this Omega Seamaster Chrono 176.007 and it seems like finding an original replacement might be a challenge.

7. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Never mind. I think NATO might be calling?

The subdial layout is quite unusual I think. It's quirky and original and I like it. Did you bag it?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013

8. apropos

apropos Senior member

NATO? Negatory for that watch IMO.

That one would look fantastic on a perforated strap in black leather. Big holes ("racing style") might be better than small holes. Possibly contrast stitching too.

9. Madmax812

Madmax812 Member

No, I left it behind to research it and the bracelet but I may go back for it later. Also checked another store in the same Mall that had a sweet JLC Master Control and IWC Portuguese, didn't get any pics though.

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Were the Master Control and Port new or used? And I was initially thinking along the lines of Mimo, but I think I may have to agree with Apropos on this one. However, I do think that a funky Nato strap could be cool, a la the strap on the new Tudor Heritage Chrono. Variety is the spice of life.

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I respect your highly accomplished strap awesomeness, but I've never liked those perforated things. Contrast stitching would definitely be appropriate, though - maybe just a solid, untapered, padded black calf leather with some eye-melting stitches?

Make your mind up, Nuke! Yeah, that's sort of the mental picture I had. Overall, it just strikes me as a rather unusual but also fun, not-to-be-taken-too-seriously kind of thing, and so a bit of colour or at least personality seems to be required to match it. Anyway, I like it - look forward to seeing Max's pictures on the strap he ends up with (assuming he goes back!).

12. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I could see it on something kind of 'humorous' like these from Gnomon (AWESOME Natos by the way):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then again, during the summer I really like brightly colored Natos.

Something fun like this:

[​IMG]

Which is, mind you, one of the coolest things I have seen in a while!

13. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

+1 on Gnomon, I have a few of their NATOs and have found them to be good quality.

For that particular Seamaster, I do like the idea of a perforated strap.

I have a black one that I wear on my Monaco from time to time. (It's usually on blue croc).

Never was a fan of the "large holes" style myself.

How about this one, via Pantime?

[​IMG]

EDIT: sorry for the huge image.

And jeezus, what a bunch of enablers....Madmax hasn't even bought the watch yet!

14. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Wearing this one again today, btw:

[​IMG]

15. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Super cool Keith! I like it on mesh a bunch. And I like that strap suggestion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.