The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Welcome! Thank you for your contribution, a great first post by any measure! I look forward to you joining our little debates and discussions.

We have some unbelievable posters here, and I have learned about how diamonds are graded, about the history of AP as a manufacture, and to how to rapidly purchase two Patek grand complications within a span of a couple months (do I even need to say who, hmmm :D).

Another perspective is always a bonus.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Omega Male - welcome aboard!

YOU ARE EVIL!!! :)

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I think your example presumes that everyone would purchase a brand new flashy car, all blinged out with 20 in chrome rims, wings, spoilers, etc. A car person could say, well who wants some goofy, oversized, overprice rubberized hunk of jewelry...thinking that you would buy something like a multicolor Hublot. Just as you chose a pre owned Lange, someone could choose a pre-owned classic car that isn't all blinged out, and have something that isn't headed down the depreciation curve. In fact some classics are either quite stable or go up in value. Sure when I see someone driving a totally tricked out MB, BMW, Audi, Ferrari, etc I think what a waste of a car and the driver must be an attention seeking goofball. However, when I see a beautiful car older car on the road on a sunny day, I just enjoy looking at it, and I appreciate the effort it takes to keep something like that looking and running its best.

As for value during someone's life time or passing it on, have you seen what a Ferrari 250GTO goes for today? I saw an interview, a guy bought one in the 1970s, for about $12,000 and the motor wasn't running. He had it fixed and drove it for a few years. He sold it for I think $50K in the late 1970s to finance some other venture and figured he would buy it back or buy another. He said he never figured it would become so valuable that he would not be able to buy it back. Today...if you can find one that an owner will part with they are about $30-35 Million. Even a 1964 Aston Martin DB5, which could have been bought used in the 1980s for about $20-25K....those are now $500-600K all day long.

I can see what people appreciate about cars and watches, provided they are the right watches and cars.

4. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

1500 pages! Had to post something....so, Happy Friday.

You may resume.

5. in stitches

solid point. however, you have not answered the question. though im not sure how relevant it is to you, lol. ;)

6. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I would go for the watch.

7. in stitches

mah man!

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

9. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Since we're just spitballin' here....I ripped this from Car & Driver's website:

"Bentley announced pricing of its 2013 Continental GT V-8 and GTC V-8 today at the New York auto show. [....] The Continental GT V-8 coupe starts at $176,725 and the Continental GTC V-8 convertible will command a $195,125 base price, which includes a $1000 gas-guzzler tax that the coupe isn’t subject to...."

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

10. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

R8 V10 :nodding:

There we go! Although the Audi R8 is :drool:[/quot

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

No worries mah man... [​IMG]
    I think I have to plead the 5th or recuse myself from making a determination.

12. in stitches

:happy:

13. Flake

Flake Senior member

Got a friend in Tampa who is on his third R8. Great car.

14. no frills

no frills Senior member

Cylon - thanks for elucidating your thoughts so well on the lovely symmetry of a no-date Sub. Captures my not-so-latent feelings perfectly. I am not enamored of the date bubble on my end, so that doesn't help the cause of date Subs.

And yes, I will take full responsibility for your damnation regarding the Nautilus...

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

A great question re: $200K car versus $50K watch. I fear that I cannot relate much as I have not owned a car in 15 years... ever since I started living in big cities with decent public transportation networks (Philadelphia and New York).

My wallet is, however, very thankful that I haven't fallen under the spell of cars... Shiyeez.

Good points as always, Dino944, about "the right watches and cars."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.