1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

and a +1 to you, Dino.

2. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Haha. None taken. I will admit that I am guilty of letting forum views influence some purchases.

3. clpotter

clpotter Member

Thanks for the explanation. I've really enjoyed this forum and learning about the intricacies of watches and watchmaking.

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

There is nothing wrong with the Breitling babe either. [​IMG]

5. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

^^ Well you can certainly tell that she likes Pateks.

6. no frills

no frills Senior member

Well, it took almost two months but I finally got my 3970P's pusher cap replaced. Patek elected to replace the bottom one too since it was apparently "worn" inside (whatever that means).

While the service and wait time seems unreasonably long for a seemingly easy replacement, there isn't much one can do. Patek will not sell original parts like this one for a Grand Complication to independent watchmakers - they will ask to see and repair the 3970 themselves. And they will want to inspect the watch and make sure other parts aren't damaged blah blah blah.

I consider myself a patient, reasonable guy but I admit having to wait two months to have a repair estimate and a pusher cap or two replaced stretched my virtues. Hahah. Lesson learned: try not to damage your mechanical piece, and the more complicated it gets prepare to shell out more in terms of time and money to have it properly repaired. This goes not just for Patek but for other timepieces as well, I suppose.

Without further adieu, the return of my 3970P!

[​IMG]

A better angle perhaps?

[​IMG]

One last thing: props to my dealer who covered the cost. Wasn't chump change either. But it's been less than a year since I purchased the watch and I'm glad they honored their warranty, even though it technically covered only movement. Who knows what fancy martial arts or calisthenics move I did to lose the pusher cap in the first place? But ya know what, they did me right and I couldn't be happier with how they helped me out. Boom!

6 people like this.
  7. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

y does breitling have sex dolls in their boutique? :confused:

8. no frills

no frills Senior member

That she apparently does. [​IMG]

9. Flake

Flake Senior member

Interestingly, a breitling montbrillant 1461 was the watch that got me interested in mechanical watches, back in the mid 1990's. That said, I have never owned a breitling.

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Frills, I'm glad to see the 3970P is back home where she belongs. Enjoy it.

11. robw

robw Senior member

Agree with the above. I find most breitlings kind of tacky and clunky looking. Having said all that, buy what you like and don't worry about forum groupthink.

I do like some of the navitimers. Here is mine:

[​IMG]

early 90s Old Navitimer. I have had something of a love/hate relationship with this watch in the 15 or so years that I have owned it. As it happens I won it in a bet with a colleague and I am not sure I would've actually spent my own money on it. It has a nothing special 7750 movement and little horological cred. On the other hand, it has a cool IMO vintage look to it that has grown on me over the years. It is also been perfectly reliable and keeps excellent time. I don't wear it much but I find myself admiring it when I do at times.

12. stafa

stafa Senior member

13. academe

academe Senior member

I feel your pain. My RO Dualtime somehow got magnetised a few years ago (I work around scientific instruments; really should get myself an Ingenieur or Miligaus as I would actually find the anti-magentism useful in my line of work!), and it spent 3-4 months with AP. Granted, it was still under warranty, and they gave it a full complementary service in addition to demagnetising it, but it was still a little frustrating. I suppose that's the price one pays for less mass produced products, with smaller production facilities.

14. johanm

johanm Senior member

Nowadays you can take it into an AP boutique and they will demagnetize it on the spot. Did exactly this last year. I think ROs are especially prone to magnetization.

15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

The breitling babe's face looks like it was designed with a specific purpose in mind....

16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

not to mention her "position."

17. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I'm sure there are many who would do a whole lot more for a Patek.

1 person likes this.
  18. no frills

no frills Senior member

I'm sure there are many who would do a whole lot more for a Patek.[/quote

Charlie Sheen would agree.

1 person likes this.
  19. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Got a new (to me) one incoming!

I'll give you all a hint, it reverses but it's no reverso; what is it?

20. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Tank Basculante?

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.