The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

no question it shows more wear, i was saying purely from an aesthetic POV im not sure which i live better. but for a daily watch, brushed surface is much more utilitarian than a high polish finish.

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The Panda dial only became available much later during production, when prices were much higher. It was also a very popular choice once it was released, so I believe it would probably cost a lot more than one of the very early 39mm ROCs.
    Oh man...was that one of the watches that got stolen?
    Ok, I see what you are saying. Don't get me wrong, overall its a good looking watch even with the polished parts. I guess over the years I became so used to Subs, GMTs, and Explorers and Ex2s having brushed finishes that it seems a bit odd to me to have polished lugs and center links. But I'm sure if it was gifted to me I'd get used to it very quickly!

3. no frills

no frills Senior member

I went into Wempe and picked up a rose gold Patek 5119 and said that was the endgame. But then I "had" to get a similar piece for my other daughter so I got a 3919 in yellow gold. And then I traded those out for the endgame perpetual calendars. And then...

Too may endgames... [​IMG]

For the sake of my wallet I am hoping this is not true. On the other hand, I am spending an inordinate amount of time looking at a double red Sea-Dweller Mark IV ref 1665 which I probably shouldn't be doing.

Begone temptation! [​IMG]

This is (was) my ding-free Daytona - worn at least once a week for several months - after 48 hours on my wife's wrist. Let's play "spot the dings and scratches" game!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

She was in full possession of her senses while she was wearing the Daytona, too. Not like this young lady:

[​IMG]

Ah, but the Daytona looks so good on her. My wife, I mean. Not Tara Reid. So it's hers now, to scratch and ding as much as she wants... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

4. in stitches

i guess we could go back and forth on this, but ill wait til you see it on person and see what you think of the look. :)
    lol, for you sir, there is unquestionably.... NO END GAME. DEAL WITH IT!

5. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

So my previous end game post was all wrong, BOTH images were incorrect and in need of amendment

Regarding the Patek, I prefer the 5110 (not the 5130) for a few reasons (guilloche dial and the hands are superior than the 5130 scissor hour hand IMHO). Sorry Newcomer, but the cloisonne dial does nothing for me. We cant be soulmates about everything I guess [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And heres a proper Lange 1 Moonphase pic

[​IMG]

I'm glad thats off my chest. Please make donations to my paypal account. PM me for more details. [​IMG]

6. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

7. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Nice list, though I could be persuaded to add these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. no frills

no frills Senior member

Here are pics from Xavier ("foversta") of PuristSPro from a recent Patek event in Paris that I just had to share. A bunch of us love the Nautilus 5711/1A of course. So here's a lovely shot of one guest wearing a Nautilus:

[​IMG]

And then... BAM:

[​IMG]

See that diamond in the bottom? That's right. That's a 5711 in frigging platinum. I don't even know how much this might cost - I don't see any references in the secondary market. Special order perhaps? Limited run from a few years back?

This is kind of like running into Clark Kent and seeing him open that shirt and reveal an "S."

(By the way, it's not an "S." In my world, it means hope)

Anyway, this is interesting because for many folks it's difficult to distinguish between a stainless steel watch and a platinum piece... assuming the finishing is similar. From the first picture alone I couldn't tell that this was anything other than a regular 5711/1A. You don't get "bragging rights" necessarily for sporting a 5711 in platinum, since most folks won't notice - but you know what's on your wrist, and I suppose that's all that matters.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I love the Lange 1 Moonphase in platinum! Absolutely stunning!!!
    Wow...that is quite a surprise, a platinum Nautilus. I knew that years ago Patek made the Nautilus in all WG, but didn't remember it being made in platinum. Awesome. I wonder how heavy that feels when its on a persons wrist. Must have some serious heft to it with that solid platinum bracelet!

I'd probably still have to tell Superman, that in my world its the letter S" [​IMG]

10. no frills

no frills Senior member

Wasn't it a surprise? Yes, there were 5711s in WG, even YG I believe (on a strap) but never a platinum. I wouldn't know where to get one, even if I could theoretically afford one. And so much for the 5711 "feeling so light it disappears on your wrist." Hehe.

Maybe if some of these structures were made of platinum, they would have stood up to this beat-down between Superman and Faora:

11. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Battle scars, frilly, battle scars.

And that Nautilus is dope.

12. in stitches

frillersteinberger, that plat nautilus is fantastic. i love that PP does the little diamond on their play models.
    --
    back to the list of 5 rolexes. i think ill keep it to current production or it would be too hard.

in no specific order after the 1 spot.

• blue black GMT
    • green milgaus
    • panda daytona
    • RN SS DJ on oyster bracelet
    • no date sub

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I saw Xavier's post earlier today. Holy hell that is one baller Nautilus. I don't even know how you would begin to go about acquiring a piece like that. Well, aside from spending a whole bunch of dinero.

And excellent choices Stitchy. I forgot about the Milgauss GV.

14. in stitches

thank you my dude!

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

Agree, Keith T. I'm actually so pleased that she loves the Daytona that I'm thinking of getting her another one but not in the immediate future, perhaps a few years from now for our 15th wedding anniversary (emphasis mine, in an effort to control myself haha).

Asked my friends who are "in-the-know-better-than-me" and other ADs and the plausible theory is that it's a one-off piece, perhaps for charity. Perhaps it's a prototype too that landed in the hands of a friend of the Sterns or a favored collector. Certainly ain't in the current production line.

There is much love for the no-date Sub. I too am very much attracted to it. Why is that?

Theories above about where it originated. Might have been a one-off, like 2007's 5712 in titanium, made for Only Watch and which cleared for Euro 525,000:

[​IMG]
    I am not sure why titanium seems to be Patek's favored material for these Antiquorum / Only Watch events (like the 5004 in titanium, the design and coloring of which many folks disliked). Anyway, I quite like the 5711 in platinum a whole lot more.

This isn't to say that a Nautilus in platinum does not exist. After all, a 3700/1 in platinum just sold in an auction in Geneva last May 13 for around $820,000:

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...mely-important-rare-and-5674707-details.aspx?

However, this one was an earlier model Nautilus, and if this "5711P" ever went on auction I suspect it will fetch a boat load of money too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.