The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

Ah yes. I go by a different moniker in that other forum. "Frilly" is far more appropriate, I think. Especially for SF. [​IMG]

2. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

You and me both. Unfortunately I can't justify the 3k premium over the LN and if I'm dropping 10k+ on a watch I'm looking at AP's. The BLNR falls into no man's land for me (with its current no-discount pricing).

3. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Oh I knew that.

No what I meant was that I hadn't really thought about the Red Vass shoes going with the Red Sub until you mentioned it.

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

Ah! Happy to help with the watch/shoe pairing idea! Speaking of - here's my shoe and watch pairing for today. 3970P with Carmina X Epaulet double monkstrap shoes in burgundy shell cordovan.

[​IMG]

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Awesome.

Great pairing indeed.

6. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thing is, what shoes should I get to go with this?

[​IMG]

7. no frills

no frills Senior member

I don't try very hard to match shoes with watches necessarily, but if you must choose from a similar color palette with the Hulk then I'd go with, say, these wingtips from Corthay in olive. Boom!

[​IMG]

Or - and I don't own one of these, but I had to mention it anyway - there's always your tried and tested Galway:

[​IMG]

But you may well have at least two pairs of Galways at this point, right?

Speaking of the midnight blue and navy suede Galway and the Nautilus...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I generally don't try to do it either.

But I couldn't help from throwing the LV out there and seeing what response I might get.

I'll have two pairs of Galways when my Blue Galways get here.

Then again I never really thought about the Nautilus pairing with the Blue Galway till you posted it. Don't get me wrong, I thinks it's a great match up and I plan on doing it. However the Blue Galway is something I've wanted for a while now.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

9. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

You'll hear no argument from me on this. Why Rolex decided to have such a harsh bracelet taper on one of their largest-cased watches blows my mind. Critics of the DSSD have been unanimous in pointing at this huge flaw, and I'm definitely of the same ilk.

Yet, as Rolex has shown all of us time and time again - they really don't give a f(*ck what we think.

Believe me, I've tried it on many times. In fact, the narrow bracelet is one of the main reasons I keep passing on it. Just this time around I don't think i'll be as strong. I"m getting weak-minded in my older age and all joking aside, I'm really starting to appreciate the quality of Rolex watches. Say what you will, they have a great quality of case finishing that's undeniable. Probably time I get on board. Then again I can think of at least 4 other watches that I wouldn't mind having as well !

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

yeah, as much as id like it squeaky clean BNIB, unless i fall into a pile of money, i may have to wait til they pop up second hand for a little less.
    very nice, but please stop bending your foot like that, that creasing makes me cringe. :(
    GG grossvenor in racing green. :slayer:

11. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Regarding the Daytona vs Port Chrono vs RO Chrono, I would choose (and have chosen) the Daytona every time :slayer:

I do like the new Port, en excellent upgrade! (I like the old one as well.) At that price point though, if you are not set on a chrono, I think maybe the 7-days Port is more interesting from IWC?

The RO Chrono looks amazing, and there are many dial variations that press all my buttons. Certainly way classier that any ROO. I was going to get one at one point, but on my hand the chrono was even more uncomfortable than the RO (15300, which I owned for a short while and sold). The clasp and the otherwise amazing bracelet just isn't for me.

Comfort is very important to me, not only looks. The Daytona is just a cats tail around my wrist, only beaten by my Nautilus.

Also, everybody knows the Panda dial is the one to get :nodding:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

12. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Now there's a thought.

Thanks Stitches.

13. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I'm not sure about the order, that changes day to day. I'm not even sure about both explorers. But I'm definitely feeling where you're coming from here: 1, 2 and 4 are definitely on my wishlist, as is a simple 36mm no-date Oyster, SS, silver dial, stick markers, smooth bezel. Which is probably about as boring as it's possible to get, but that's kind of the point.

14. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

A buddy of mine bought that watch. seriously. still not sure what he was thinking. But what a total D-Bag. He'd meet a girl at a bar and stick his wrist in her face..."THIS HAS PIECES OF THE TITANIC IN IT. BALLER RIGHT?" fucking idiot

15. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

Personally, i hated the bracelet taper as well...just aesthetically speaking. However, it wears VERY comfortable. And even though it feels thin, its definitely not weak and plenty substantial enough to hold up.

And one thing ive learned...the collectors and internet watch folks are a VERY tiny percentage of rolex buyers. So while it may seem like they dont give a fuck what people think, its more accurately stated that they dont spend the majority of their days posting on watch forums and seeing what the purists want them to do. Also, the fact that Rolex sells EVERY watch they make every year and on a lot of them...theres a long waiting list. Also, i can only speak for myself...but the gripes i have with any rolex is strictly me being a picky bitch that has nothing better to do. Quite honestly im too damn poor to buy any new rolex right now anyway....so as much as i complain...doesnt matter in the least because Im not a potential customer. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.