The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

My wife has been pleading with me to get a Rolex for some time. If had to pick one right now it would be that over-engineered monster the DSSD.

My brother just got the new Explorer in white (42 mm) and I have to say that thing is so well built it made me a fan

I really wish Rolex would offer the GMT2 without the center polished links. You guys that are thinking of getting one, do you prefer all brushed, center-polished, or doesn't matter?

2. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

^ Your local watch repair guy can brush the centre links no problem. Personally, I'm a fan but if you don't like PCL's, go with the Submariner.

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Solid list. Ill have to think on mine.

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG] Great response Kid. Almost died laughing!
    Thanks pal...I aim to please.
    Might be a bit harsh. Although, I have to admit I generally prefer the standard dials over the stone dials, MOP, or meteorite dials. I think the meteorite does look a bit better when on a watch with a bracelet, but stylistically, I don't think I could do a chronograph with a tachymeter which uses Arabic numbers and a dial & subdials using Romans. It bothers me. Give me sticks or Arabics to go on a chronograph.
    You should look at the DSSD up close. I did and personally found it a colossal disappointment. To me, they spent a lot of time making a huge case, but not enough time to realize the bracelet should be larger. I find the bracelet is not well proportioned and too small looking for the watch itself. It should have been thicker and wider for this watch. I think it also leads to the feeling sort of top heavy. Not a fan.

The new Ex2 is a nice watch. Well done, especially since the case lugs taper in a bit, as they did on previous generations of Ex2s, Subs, and GMTs.

Right now I really look forward to seeing the new Blue/Black GMT2 in person. I really like how it looks in photos. I do wish they would go back to the brushed finish that all of their "Professional models" used to have. I find the polished center links are sort of scratch magnets and show lots of finger prints. The brushed finish of Subs and Ex2s hides scratches and finger prints. But I really like the Blue/black GMT2 at least in photos, so I might be willing to give it a try at some point.
    Agreed solid list. Right now I think the only ones that interest me are the GMT Blue/Black, maybe the Explorer 2 (black dial), and a Sub C Date. Tried a SubC non-date and just didn't feel any magic. Maybe I like that one better in photos than on me, or maybe it was an off day.

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

As they say, your mileage may vary.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

7. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I like to think this one kinda goes in there somewhere as well.

[​IMG]

8. in stitches

Trip D got dat watch collection, ya'll!

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Well, the latter can be dubbed the "modern" trinity :). I love your red sub so much.

10. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thanks guys.

11. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(not my pics)

12. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

That looks delectable. I am not sure that I have the cajones to have a watchmaker brush my bracelet for me though. I am scared of the big bad Rolex.

13. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quadrinity then, ddrees. [​IMG]

Also, I have not been posting much in that other forum but I saw your Vass shoes. I think that red Sub would go quite well. Post a shoe/watch shot pairing here and allow the applause to ensue.

For the vintage Rolex fans out there more familiar with relative rarity, desirability and current pricing, would a double red Sea Dweller Mark IV ref 1665 priced at under $20K be at all drool worthy? Or totally priced inappropriately?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

14. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

You know, I hadn't made the connection until you mentioned it. I may just have to work on that photo. Unfortunately It's going to be January or February before I can match the Nautilus with the Blue Galways.

Thank you,

Dan

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

15. in stitches

Gaaaaaah i want that blue black soooo bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.