• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5513 today, but the pic has been posted before. Worth a repost, I think
smile.gif

Absolutely worth a repost.

Great looking watch.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5513 today, but the pic has been posted before. Worth a repost, I think
smile.gif

What a lovely piece. I have been eyeing a no-date Sub for some time and this really sings to me. Somehow I have resisted. But your pics aren't helping my resolve! :)

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

I actually just googled wrist photos of the 15400 and holy crap does it ever wear big for a 41mm watch. Does the 39mm wear big as well? I didn't even give the 15202 any consideration, because I've always considered anything under 40mm to be too small for me (which is a shame, because if Rolex offered the Explorer in a 40 or 42, it would be on my wrist right now).

that looks like its being worn by a penis. good god thats a tiny wrist. IMHO it doesnt wear large at all. Ive only tried one on though...but it didnt look like that on me. and i have pretty small wrists.

FWIW the 39mm explorer wears really well. I personally prefer the original 36mm though, but the 39 wears very well.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like the RO chrono - the date is a pleasing quirk rather than a diversion from the symmetry. And only available in the 41mm size...
Unless you go pre-owned. The RO Chronograph (Non-Offshore model) was in production from around 1998/99 through 2011/12 in a 39 mm case with the date window at 4:30.
nofuckingshit. I dont think i could respect anyone that would choose the opposite.
lol8[1].gif
fistbump.gif

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Daytona.

Daytona-related note. My wife has decided that she likes my 116520 best of all. And frankly, it looks super hot on her. I am thinking of getting her another Daytona not right now, but sometime in the future, perhaps next year or when we celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary a few years from now (italics on the disclaimer from me - let's see if I can hold myself to this personal pledge). Want something in precious metal but also want to consider the fact that the wife murders her daily wearers.

So am thinking of the 116515 with an ivory dial:

Pluses (for me):

1. Rose gold - quite like it. But not all-rose-gold on a bracelet, which is very charming on Elle MacPherson and Brooklyn Decker but I've seen my wife shy away from wearing all-gold pieces. So the leather strap works for this case.

2. Bezel is less prone to scratching given ceramic construction.

3. On a deploy, which the wife loves.

Minuses:

1. Leather strap can't exactly be taken swimming or in the shower - but that's OK, she will have the 116520 for that.

2. At $28,800 retail and around $22 to $23K pre-owned there are many other pieces I can get for her. But she is really smitten with the Daytona's look/presence on her wrist.

Anyway, would appreciate the watch-style-mavens thoughts on the matter.

P.S. Also open to the darker dial.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
^^that ivory dial is gorgeous with the rose gold.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, Dino, which brings me to an interesting question that ties these two subjects together: not-too-big classy chrono with iconic shape. Twelve grand buys you the new IWC (if you're an idiot, I think we've established), a new Daytona, or a used-but-immaculate this:

P.S. That is not my number.

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
id take the AP. as much as i loved my daytonas....that AP has some real balls. stunning watch with pedigree. Kinda like comparing an aston to a jaguar.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Daytonas rightfully deserve the respect and adoration they're given, I have several friends and family members who own them and they are truly nice watches. However, for some reason they don't sing to me at all, so call me an idiot but I'd much prefer to lay down my money on a watch that I would love (such as the IWC), and I would even take this AP chrono over the Daytona, which is saying a lot because I don't really love the AP RO line (again, fantastic watches, just not my cup of tea) As all have said, to each his own - no right or wrong choice here, and I'm sure I'm in the vast minority of SF'ers on this one.
Thanks for the tip, Dino, which brings me to an interesting question that ties these two subjects together: not-too-big classy chrono with iconic shape. Twelve grand buys you the new IWC (if you're an idiot, I think we've established), a new Daytona, or a used-but-immaculate this: P.S. That is not my number.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

nofuckingshit. I dont think i could respect anyone that would choose the opposite. :lol:

my man!!

that looks like its being worn by a penis. good god thats a tiny wrist. IMHO it doesnt wear large at all. Ive only tried one on though...but it didnt look like that on me. and i have pretty small wrists.

lolz

^^that ivory dial is gorgeous with the rose gold.

+1.

nice of you to get another watch for the mrs, frillster. one of my fave non all steel dayona is the white gold with a meteorite dial:

Rolex

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As for the homogenization of Richemont brand watches, the public speaks through sales and if the public is still clamoring for really big thick watches, companies will modify classic designs to increase sales.  Most companies have beefied up case sizes, if one considers Rolex super cases, Patek bumping Calatravas from what was once their large size at 34-35mm to 37mm+, Cartier increase the size of the manual wind Tanks, and AP increase the size of ROs.  No one wants to give up sales to the competition.  If the public tires of extra large thick watches, the companies will trim down case sizes again.

I guess I mean the homogenization of design as well. But yes, you are correct, Richemont is going to respond to the beck and call of the customers. But whereas a PP Calatrava aesthetically looks similar to its predecessors, despite its increase in size, this new Tank is going very far away from what I view as a Tank.

The public needs to get with the program!

I like this quite a lot.  Whatever the design influence, this looks both very Cartier, and very masculine, to me.  I approve of this direction.

You know it does not look like a tank anymore when Mimo likes it :nodding:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

id take the AP. as much as i loved my daytonas....that AP has some real balls. stunning watch with pedigree. Kinda like comparing an aston to a jaguar.

if/when i get an RO, i would want one of the simple 3 hand models.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

if/when i get an RO, i would want one of the simple 3 hand models.

thats my first choice as well. but if youre comparing chronos...id still take the AP over the daytona. And i LOVE daytonas...im a longtime rolex fanboii.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads