The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

and like the one i love. i think a lot of the gondolos have windows only perp cals.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

2. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Yes...

3. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

You are missing the "compensatory watches for the wife" element from your equation there! She should be standing on your head (and I would imagine, has done at times!)

I like this quite a lot. Whatever the design influence, this looks both very Cartier, and very masculine, to me. I approve of this direction.

And also that it didn't have the 3:00 date. Boo.

Hell yes.

Like the RO chrono - the date is a pleasing quirk rather than a diversion from the symmetry. And only available in the 41mm size...

4. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

5513 today, but the pic has been posted before. Worth a repost, I think :)

[​IMG]

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Absolutely worth a repost.

Great looking watch.

6. no frills

no frills Senior member

What a lovely piece. I have been eyeing a no-date Sub for some time and this really sings to me. Somehow I have resisted. But your pics aren't helping my resolve! :)

7. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

nofuckingshit. I dont think i could respect anyone that would choose the opposite. :lol:

8. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

that looks like its being worn by a penis. good god thats a tiny wrist. IMHO it doesnt wear large at all. Ive only tried one on though...but it didnt look like that on me. and i have pretty small wrists.

FWIW the 39mm explorer wears really well. I personally prefer the original 36mm though, but the 39 wears very well.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Unless you go pre-owned. The RO Chronograph (Non-Offshore model) was in production from around 1998/99 through 2011/12 in a 39 mm case with the date window at 4:30.
    [​IMG]

10. no frills

no frills Senior member

Daytona-related note. My wife has decided that she likes my 116520 best of all. And frankly, it looks super hot on her. I am thinking of getting her another Daytona not right now, but sometime in the future, perhaps next year or when we celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary a few years from now (italics on the disclaimer from me - let's see if I can hold myself to this personal pledge). Want something in precious metal but also want to consider the fact that the wife murders her daily wearers.

So am thinking of the 116515 with an ivory dial:

[​IMG]

Pluses (for me):

1. Rose gold - quite like it. But not all-rose-gold on a bracelet, which is very charming on Elle MacPherson and Brooklyn Decker but I've seen my wife shy away from wearing all-gold pieces. So the leather strap works for this case.

2. Bezel is less prone to scratching given ceramic construction.

3. On a deploy, which the wife loves.

Minuses:

1. Leather strap can't exactly be taken swimming or in the shower - but that's OK, she will have the 116520 for that.

2. At $28,800 retail and around $22 to $23K pre-owned there are many other pieces I can get for her. But she is really smitten with the Daytona's look/presence on her wrist.

Anyway, would appreciate the watch-style-mavens thoughts on the matter.

P.S. Also open to the darker dial.

11. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

^^that ivory dial is gorgeous with the rose gold.

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Thanks for the tip, Dino, which brings me to an interesting question that ties these two subjects together: not-too-big classy chrono with iconic shape. Twelve grand buys you the new IWC (if you're an idiot, I think we've established), a new Daytona, or a used-but-immaculate this:

[​IMG]

P.S. That is not my number.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

13. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

id take the AP. as much as i loved my daytonas....that AP has some real balls. stunning watch with pedigree. Kinda like comparing an aston to a jaguar.

14. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Daytonas rightfully deserve the respect and adoration they're given, I have several friends and family members who own them and they are truly nice watches. However, for some reason they don't sing to me at all, so call me an idiot but I'd much prefer to lay down my money on a watch that I would love (such as the IWC), and I would even take this AP chrono over the Daytona, which is saying a lot because I don't really love the AP RO line (again, fantastic watches, just not my cup of tea) As all have said, to each his own - no right or wrong choice here, and I'm sure I'm in the vast minority of SF'ers on this one.

15. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

my man!!

lolz

+1.

nice of you to get another watch for the mrs, frillster. one of my fave non all steel dayona is the white gold with a meteorite dial:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.