The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

All sports watches have their fans and haters. I like the original RO line of watches, but I don't like the Offshore models. I don't care for their use of rubber, carbon fiber (politically correct term for expensive plastic), or the countless numbers of limited edition ROO's they roll out simply because 3-6 months have passed since their last limited edition. However, I may be biased as I don't like rubberized/plastic watches be it ROOs, Hublots, or GP Laureatos. In addition, while I like the Nautilus 5711 and 5712/A1, I don't like the Nautilus Chronograph at all, and when it comes to VCs I don't care for any of their current Overseas models. I preferred the previous model, although its bracelet had issues with links locking up. The new one I find bloated, and although the bracelet doesn't have any issues with locking up, I find it a garish and too blingy. But no watch can be everything to everyone.

IMHO, like it or hate it, the RO was the first of its kind. Others followed, some more successfully than others, but the RO is iconic as it carved out a niche that had never before existed. Its always easier to see what has worked for others and then head down the same path. I believe the saying goes, "Second place...its the first loser!" Just kidding, there are some great watches that followed the RO, such as PP's Nautilus, VC's 222 and first Overseas, and IWC's Jumbo SL Ingenieur.

2. EmJay

EmJay Member

I have actually found myself favoring watches without a date complication as well. The JLC ultra thin that I am currently contemplating doesn't have one, and the overall look of the dial is just cleaner. I don't even bother setting the date on most of my other watches nowadays.

3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:You absolutely can't go wrong with that JLC.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

EmJay, great looking stowa. i want a JLC ultra thin too. the one with the small seconds sub-dial and stick markers.

5. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Vintage Omega = value. But I'm biased, and the value in my case is largely sentimental!

The date is the main reason I hanker after the Marine Original instead. I do like the deco style, which is probably why I like the Nomos Zurich a lot too. But no date, definitely.

Amen to all of that.

6. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

For some reason, I don't mind the date on the Stowa since it is at 6:00 instead of the usual 3:00. I don't even mind 3:00 if it is offset so as to not replace the numeral.

7. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I get you - the 6.00 date seems to be a bit of a German thing; same on the Nomos. But I just don't like simple dates in general - not particularly useful as they need resetting every few weeks, and they tend to unbalance a design quite frequently I think. The 6.00 date deals with the second issue to a point, but it's not for me. The discussion on ROs above reminded me of one of the reasons I like the RO chrono so much: it doesn't have the 3.00 date that the three hand models have, and shoves it down instead to 4.30 - a quirk I quite like, if there has to be a date at all.

8. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I find the date really useful. Otherwise I would agree. So I like to have a mix of both depending on the watch.

Sinn puts some at 4:00 at an angle. It's fairly discreet given the location. My Omega broad Arrow at 6:00 is almost difficult to spot.

Date sub dials are pretty cool but not very common.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

9. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

i dont know why, but the only watch ive ever liked a date at 4 o clock is the zenith el primero

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I like this too.

Certainly on their own. MUT Moon springs to mind, and it's definitely cool.

11. no frills

no frills Senior member

And oh, how they got me.

[​IMG]

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

^^ lol ^^
    --
    i find the date function to be very useful, and i generally do not like it offset on an angle.

13. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

50 years from now: "But why does she get the Nautilus? I always told Dad that I don't like complicated chronographs!"

14. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

I sometimes wonder if I am doing my daughter and any future children a disservice in leaving them a watch collection, and not just a watch. How can it have the same meaning getting dad's watch box(es) as dad's watch? The latter is something to cherish, an earthly reminder of my existence left behind, the former just an investment to realize or keep in a bank box.

Maybe I in time ought to sell everything but the Daytona (with which I timed my daughter's birth, present on the first picture of her in my arms) and the Patek (because I also am a victim to advertising) :)

15. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

[​IMG]

sold a month ago in Geneva for $1.7M!! wow :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.