The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

^^gaht dayum D. fantastic pics of a classic watch. one of my absolute favorite chronos. :slayer:

2. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Frillster, I agree with you about the lovely development and finishing of the movement - PP seem to have taken that rather further than VC have, comparing the pictures I put up last page (maybe that's why it costs five or six times more!). But I think the specialness of the AL movement in the Datograph is beyond production numbers and even beauty, in that it was a completely new and original movement rather than an iteration of something that had gone before (so I'm told). They're all wonderful though, of course. One day I'm going to buy something very silly.

I love the article you linked to - I agree with it entirely (apart from the author's charming innocence of the truly hideous pricing, as you mentioned!). Many of the comments suggest that Patek cannot be aspirational as all Patek owners have at least ten and they cost at least $50k a pop on average. But I suspect many of those posts are sour grapes, and missing the point: that if someone can find the $25k for a Nauti, or better, then having just the one will make them look and feel like the kind of person who has ten. In your case, of course, the addiction struck. And I bet you've subscribed to the Economist for some time, too. Job done, eh Patek Philippe?

(DCG those pictures are brilliant, but I see what you mean about the second hand)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:nodding:

4. forex

forex Senior member

I like the speedy a lot, I think it is a great watch and is probably the best value out there as far as price and quality.

Any recommendations for good straps? Not trying to spend a fortune on a strap but want to get something decent, thinking of black.

5. Khal80

Khal80 Active Member

i know ive been asking about watches for under 5k....but i made the mistake on trying on some IWC Portuguese watches....

ugh.

Loved them....oh and the harry winston ocean double date was beautiful

6. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Hirsch

GIS "Omega Speedmaster Hirsch" for inspiration [​IMG]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shanelin/6549075417/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shanelin/5757950798/in/set-72157621989765223

last one is di-modell i beleeb but the hirsch duke is popular with speedies

7. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Brown is definitely the way to go - nice pics, Cylon! I love the brown croc. I've seen brown suede too which looked awesome.

8. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Thanks brother. Been swamped with various things but good to see you are holding it down along with the rest of the gang. It's nice to be able to contribute with something other than a thumbs up or a mental "what he said" every now and again though [​IMG]

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Hirsch Medici is also awesome. Glad to see you 'round these parts Cylon!

10. dcg

dcg Senior member

Re: Speedy straps - a lot of people seem to love the Di Modell Rallye, though I personally don't see the appeal.

There's a double ridge brown gator OEM Omega strap with curved ends that's amazing, but I don't know that they make it any more, and it was not cheap to begin with. Hirsch professional is a much cheaper alternative that comes in black and brown (though it's embossed calf, and doesn't have curved ends).

If you like the curved ends, the Hirsch Medici is a good and inexpensive option, and the brown leather seems to age nicely.

Then there are the various NATO options. I've considered one of these cordovan versions, though the prices seem excessive to me: http://www.dalucastraps.com/leather/

11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

+1 for a brown strap for a speedy. great combo. that double ridge strap is insane. love that.

12. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Anyone with an AP 15400?

13. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I wish...ask Dino. :)

14. no frills

no frills Senior member

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.