The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Thanks guys, I blush! I wouldn't call myself a "top contributor" compared to many on this thread. I am thankful that I have the means and took the time to find pieces that spoke to me. You may have noticed that both these watches have no branding, unless the "Lancaster, PA - USA" on the RGM would be considered branding. This is a theme I will continue to explore. After all, none of my clothing has obvious branding.

2. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Nice job!

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Mimo

Always fun exchange thoughts about watches, and we all learn from others thoughts on these great watches. While price does play a part in what we realistically can afford to purchase, I would not use it as a measure of comparison between various Langes, or Patek, or VC. I do understand saying well for X amount I can get this or that, and yes, the VC Historique is relatively undervalued and a great watch.

As for the 1815 Moonphase, I like it, and I like it a lot more than a standard 1815 or 1815 Up-down. Yes, its production was limited, Lange collectors seem to love them and have driven the price up quite a bit from its original MSRP of around $18K, However, I find them more interesting in photos than in person. I'm not someone who needs or wears oversized watches, however I greatly prefer the beefier case and lugs, case size, and additional functions one gets with the Lange 1 Moonphase. In addition, I find the silver diasl of the Lange 1 Moonphase watches far more attractive in terms of the way the light shimmers and moves from the various surfaces of the subdials. Black dialed watches can look very elegant and sophisticated, but I've always found Langes with black dials a bit flat and lifeless. Just my 2 cents. Again, 2 more watches we don't have to enter a steel cage and fight for [​IMG]

4. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

The watch pictured below is a Universal Geneve Compax Chronograph - one that I purchased in the late '90's. Loved the contrasting subdials and crisp dauphine hands. Also loved the fact that it employed the same Lemania hand-wound movement as the Speedy Pro. The pic below was taken by me when the watch was brand new.

[​IMG]

In early 2004, I sold it to a good friend and fellow watch nut, on condition that he offer me first refusal if he ever decided to sell it. Lo and behold, earlier this week I got exactly that offer and bought it back in a heartbeat.

He had given the watch a complete overhaul only a year before, and had a larger crown installed to make winding easier. Whether it was the expert servicing, the new crown or a combination of both, this thing now winds smoother than any Speedmaster I have ever tried, and is darned close to JLC territory in that respect.

I'm tickled to have it back. The compact dimensions make it look more like a vintage piece (39mm, I think, might be 38) but also makes it very wearable with a business wardrobe.

And in 10 years, it hasn't aged a day. This pic was taken yesterday:

[​IMG]

That's even the same strap - in the exact same condition, as he had mounted it on a different series of straps.

I'm a happy camper. Thanks for looking.

5. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013

6. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Very nice. Congrats on getting it back. I actually prefer that to a Speedy. Heresy, I know.

7. apropos

apropos Senior member

Both are in the same metal, and roughly the same size (40sh mm), but the JLC will wear smaller, the Panograph will wear larger.

Despite being superficially similar, without a shadow of doubt the JLC is the better watch in this situation. The movement design is genuine horological step forward, and the finishing is truly truly epic. The dial, with its grained eggshell finish, is not your usual shiny sunburst or satin silver dial and will change in accordance with the lighting.

The Panograph, while a great watch by itself, is IMO not really in the same playing field. It's like comparing a Porsche to a Bugatti - both are superb machines, but there is no contest as to which is the better racing car.

My only reservation with both watches is their thickness, which is 13-14mm. You must try these on in the flesh!

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Liam: Absolutely stunning Breitling. I am really digging it. Amazing to think that a watch that looks so great was made over seventy years ago! I hope I am even half that preserved in seventy years. I hope it brings you years of happiness.

Roger: That Universal Geneve is gorgeous. I have wanted a tri-compax UG for a while. That is one of my possibilites for my first foray into vintage. I like the big crown on it.

Eustace: As Apropos said... it is just night and day between the two. You really cannot put them in the same category. I think that the PanoGraph is nice in its own right, but it is one of those watches that is just placed at a terrible price point. You get similar finishing to a GO PML, and other sub-$10k watches, but a fancier complication. On the other hand, the JLC Quantieme Lunaire is absolutely stunning. The architecture and finishing of the movement is just about unparalleled. The GO is a very nice watch, while the JLC is haute horology. I hate to say it, but there really is no competition in my eyes.

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Liam0062 - great looking watch and superb refurb job.
    oh i still want that blue/black GMT friendo. dont think i have forgotten about it. and compared to almost a mil, 8950 sounds rather affordable. lol
    buy one. now.
    JLC by a country mile for me. i adore the Duomètre. :inlove:

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

11. in stitches

that bottom pic is just so :drool:

12. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Isn't that great?! For under $10,000, it seems like a nice value proposition as well. I would love to visit the factory.

13. in stitches

yeah man, i just found that piece on his website. its gorgeous.

i dont even think the factory is all that far from me, i really should head over there one sunday for a day trip.

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Yeah, I thought about it when I was up in PA. I have heard he really rolls out the red carpet for guests, which is really great. I just wish I could find out more information, or inspect his pieces.

15. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Congrats on being reunited with an old friend. I've always liked the Tri-Compax. Great looking watch, great movement, great value. Its always been an under appreciated watch, but still its really is a classic design with a lot to offer. Enjoy it and congrats!
    GO makes a solid product with great quality. However, I've never had a strong desire to own a GO (and my feelings are the same about this model...no thanks). In terms of workmanship and design, I'd prefer the JLC. That being said, I've never been in love with the Duometre design. There are many other JLC's I'd prefer to own.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.