The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

its ok, i know what my grail patek is, and i think the size is just right.

2. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Do tell...

3. in stitches

well, my ultimate grail is a tourbillon, repeater, perp cal, moon phase, split seconds chrono, done tastefully. also, i prefer the tourb exposed from the dial side.

the 5207 is damn close to what i want and its also beautiful. anyone wanna get this for me? my birthday is in may so you have plenty of lead time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Haha. That is unquestionably special. But I'm not sure it's super-beautiful. OK, a bit super-beautiful. I'd take it for my birthday, too.

It's a pity your grail isn't a VC instead. It seems you need something like a "Vladimir"...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  5. Coldcava

Coldcava Senior member

Grail watches.. I may not have spent enough time researching watches I can never afford but I'd be ok with this...

Harry Winston Midnight Minute Repeater in white gold.

[​IMG]

6. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Nothing as fancy as a minute repeater or a tourbillon, but the unboxing of my latest...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. in stitches

^^ supremely cool ^^

mimo, the dial layout on the VC is not bad, the small arabic numbers seem silly to me. i think the PP is far better tho, and the case engravings on the VC are atrocious imo.

8. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Man, that was a million wasted....I'll send it right back.

(Scott, I really really like that a lot - is the cost confidential?)

9. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

I picked it up from the first owner for $700. Not bad for a watch that listed for $1800.

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Even at $1800 list price, I know it's a generic movement, but it's got a real individuality about it without being at all frivolous (Graham, take note!). I think it's gorgeous and you got a real bargain - well done!

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Scott, looks great! Congrats and I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment!
    I often favor VC, I like the dial in this one, even with Arabic numbers, but the case side engraving make me want to puke! IMHO, the case engraving ruins this one.
    I would have gotten you a PP, but you picked the wrong one so no deal ! [​IMG] I'm not a fan of the dial color, but for me, the deal breaker is the windows all around the dial. I didn't care for them on some of the recent the annual calendars, IMHO it lacks a certain elegance that one usually sees with Pateks. Maybe its the metal out lines around the windows for day, date, month, maybe they just seem too pronounced. I generally prefer subdials for perpetual calendars, although simple windows as used on vintage Patek perpetuals of the past would be my second choice. This one I like the engraving on the side of the case and slide but I just don't love the rest of the watch.

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I do have a thing for the Germans. But not necessarily the top of the price range - the Tourbograph is awesome, but I think I'd be very happy with this: I do like the combination of perpetual calendar and chrono. The tourbillon's a novelty, but would I really ever leave the house with a $500k watch? I think I would actually want to wear this instead of guard it with a shotgun, even at $150k-ish.

[​IMG]

Of course a Patek 5004 or a Breguet minute repeater or an AP tourbillon or any number of others would be right up there. But I think that is then the point: I don't have a collection to speak of. And rather than one watch for hundreds of thousands, if I had to spend the price of a house on watches, I think I'd rather have a few. And even though Dino doesn't like it (!), a used Langematik Perpetual for about $50k would be almost as good for my personal joy. After that, the returns diminish very quickly, so I'll take that, an up-down Datograph with stick markers, and a Lange 1 Time Zone, all in platinum. And still have change from the one above for a plain black no-date Submariner, a few scratches not a problem...

13. in stitches

interesting. i quite like the windows on the 5207. particularly the symmetry. different strokes i guess. odd because we are so often on the same page. :(

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

VERY nice - congrats!

15. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.