The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coldcava

Coldcava Senior member

Great looking watch.. I've become a huge Reverso fan from this forum.

2. dlm4114

dlm4114 Senior member

Great watch -- really love your dial/hands too. Will look great on that strap!

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

just came across this on tumblr. JLC for TDKR. interesting.

[​IMG]

4. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Ha yeah I saw that when it came out... Just Richemont being Richemont. A pity.

Related to the general discussion--for some reason or another I really want a Shinola. I know it is silly... but I really, really want one.

5. apropos

apropos Senior member

Yeah, product placement... mehhhhhhh.

I found that collab a little less than inspiring. Another more effective example of JLC product placement was with Adrien Brody in The Pianist - from the first 2 minutes of the show:

[​IMG]

6. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I looked it up - new to me. I get it, and I love the idea. But, where's the confidence in what they're doing? Or is it just that they are determined to be "accessible" price-wise? And if so, is that really the future of manufacturing in developed economies, to try to compete at the lower-middle end?

It seems to me they are mixing two things, wrongly. Either make a novelty quartz watch with individual, hopefully iconic style, from cheaper materials, and hope the story can sell it widely and make it a fashion. Or make something more serious with a slightly-altered ebauche mechanical movement for, say $1200, and hope that not only can the story sell it, but it can hold its own as a competitive product. I just can't see a $500 quartz watch being either cheap enough for the buyer who doesn't care about the movement, or "real" enough for the one who does.

So, yeah, it's silly. But if you want one, maybe they're right and I'm completely off track here!

Taking away the patriotic American angle (I'm neither), I can see the appeal both of the story and of the aesthetic, nevertheless. But I'm not buying a $500 watch with a Chinese quartz ticker.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013

7. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

well - they have the marketing power of Barney's behind them right now, which is huge. I tend to agree with most of what you're saying, but Barney's buyers basically MAKE taste, so...

It seems from their other offerings that Shinola makes a lot of leather. Some of those leather natos look like great straps, as do the steel mesh. Maybe their value is in making straps ultimately.

I do kind of like the look of this square cushion/round face PAM homage.

http://www.barneys.com/Shinola-The-...default,pd.html?cgid=shinola-detroit&index=39

You have to look inside to know if it's Shit or Shinola :rimshot:

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

For me it really is not as much about the watch as it is about the story and what I hope is the future. This is just personal opinion, but I think that America needs to return to churning out 'artisans.' We need watchmakers, shoe makers, clothes makers, etc. This is what Shinola is selling, and if I have to subsidize this future, well, I almost think of it as something of a donation. I know it is probably just marketing mumbo jumbo. But the only way I can tell the market that we need more domestically produced watches is to buy the domestically produced watches that crop up.

I agree with you that the price point is kind of crazy. Especially when they say, stupidly, that this is an heirloom watch (read: absurd). But this may be the price of owning a product made by an American company, at least when I am sure their overhead is through the roof. As they become more integrated, hopefully we will start to see new movements, more hand assembly, more hand finishing, etc.

I think that my brain is on your side, but my heart is on the other side :).

I really do like the PAM homage. Some of the funky Runwells are pretty neat too. This would just be a fun watch to bomb around in. And yes, I see your point about the straps--as a value proposition, let me just do the following calculation:

• We have a horween strap, which retails for around $150
    • We have a domed sapphire crystal
    • A nicely designed case
    • Hand assembled in America
    • A reliable quartz movement

I mean, $200 for this watch would have been a steal. Although I think the price is high, I do not necessarily see it as exorbitantly high. I am not sure if I am going to buy one, but I am a huge believer in their cause.

They are lucky some of us are too young to have heard that saying :).

9. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I believe they all sold out. Expert marketing by Shinola. I don't think they were made to appeal to the typical watch enthusiast anyway, just the masses that would not spend more than $500 on a watch.

PS, it looks pretty similar to the Hamilton Khaki for the same price.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Lazy, and cheapening. Sure, make the shape, but I wish they'd made it their own. Looking like a fake-something-else is no way to build a brand IMO.

I get the story, the cause, and the objective, and I think it's something that resonates in any post-industrial economy, especially with the current global stagnation and the fashion for everything traditional and hand-made. But that's really my point: what is "artisanal" about copying Panerai cases or buying quartz movements from Asia? Or a $500 watch at all? And your "value proposition", although perfectly accurate, makes the point too: why make a high quality package for a mickey mouse movement?

I really buy into what they're trying to achieve, and if I'm fair, I suppose this is only a part of their project. I just find it a pity that it doesn't have just that extra notch of design and functional integrity, as the first building block for this part of the business.

Yes to all that. And the marketing even works for me. I just can't love the product, or believe it couldn't have been better for the money. If Tissot can tinker with an ebauche ETA movement and bang out a $400 automatic, this just feels like aiming a bit low.

Anyway, rant over. I wish the whole project success anyway, because the fundamental business idea pleases me very much.

11. in stitches

i had never heard of shinola before. interesting pieces. some look pretty cool. do not love the PAM homage tho.

newcomer, i like what you said about supporting american made products and what not, and maybe it is a marketing gimmick, who knows. either way, i cant see myself dropping that kind of coin on a watch like that, no hate. and i know that sounds super snobby. :(

hopefully this one last reverso fit pic will make up for that dick comment.

[​IMG]

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Could make up for a lot...your pics get better and better.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Glad you are enjoying this thread (I'm addicted to it). Great watch, the 1931 Tribute is probably my favorite Reverso model. Thanks for sharing a photo of it with us. I never get tired of seeing photos of that watch.

Congrats on the deposition. Any depo where the client doesn't torpedo the case by saying something stupid, is a great depo!
    Spot on Stitchy! Couldn't have said it better myself. [​IMG]

14. in stitches

lol thanks. and that was an iphone pic.
    my man! :slayer:

15. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Stitchy - I can't believe nobody has considered .. you are way too well-dressed to be a pawn broker. Methinks the SF Cognoscenti do not spend enough time in actual pawn shops to k now the difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.