1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Raven

welcome to TWAT. Nice to have a female opinion around here. Please hang around and share!

Regarding FC - I think the consensus is they make fine watches and are considered very good value right now. I like some of their newer designs. They came out with a pretty nice moonphase a little while ago that was priced very well. I like the look of the watch you posted.

However, your last statement would give me pause. Again, you probably won't be able to resell it for anything even close to what you paid. So you'll have to keep it or gift it (lucky recipient!). But it's still a decent chunk of change, and if your heart's not set on it, don't be reeled in by the 'deal'. You'll find the better investment in eventually owning what you really want.

my 2 cents.

R

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

peeling the plastic off minty watches is one of my favorite activities.

3. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Stitchy, I do hope those are YOUR watches you're peeling :D

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Yes, they started doing that around the mid 2000s. I remember my SS Daytona purchased in 2005 had lots of plastic shrink wrap, lugs, case sides tops of SEL bracelet, clasp inner and outer, case back etc. Same experience with new APs...tons of protective clear plastic that is tough to see and remove. However, its nice because if you see a piece on a showcase its not going to have the shop wear that was often common to watches years ago, which had been in the store for a while.

5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Actually, I sneak in to high-end watch stores nightly just the peel off the stickers.

6. Flake

Flake Senior member

Raven

It's a well made watch and a good value at that price. If you are worried about resale, then maybe not so much. But if you tend to buy and keep, then if it sings to you go ahead. If it's more about what seems like a good deal, then pass.

Fwiw, my wife has a nice collection of mechanical watches. She buys what she likes and has never traded one out. Most are men's watches or men's size ladies watches, including some from Omega, Maurice Lacroix, Panerai and Ball. She's been wearing larger watches since before it was cool and will continue after the trend is dead, despite her tiny wrists.

7. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I've actually missed a piece or two on couple of watches, and then I eventually see it weeks if not months later.

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

haha.. mine too! :nodding:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  9. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

My wife as well. And I think they look great on her :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  10. Raven

Raven Active Member

Thanks ChicagoRon! Just curious, how did you go about buying vintage watches? It's something I'd like to look into, but I'm not experienced enough and kinda fearful I won't know what to look out for.

11. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I went to a very reputable dealer. Aaron Faber, in New York is very well known and respected, so I am confident everything I purchased is original and genuine.

12. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Rnguy, been away sorry missed the big unveil!

Very nice man and you wear it well. Impressive all round. :nodding:

----------------

Raven, welcome. Can't disagree with responses already made so can only add that if it feels good do it! NB I'm a fairly impulsive sort of fella.

13. no frills

no frills Senior member

rnguy - congrats on the DSSD! Contrary to your initial expectation it looks like you're getting much love from TWAT. [​IMG]

Raven - welcome and good luck on the search!

Have been on vaca for the last couple of weeks but now back in cold, cold NYC. Expecting another snowstorm tonight! Nice.

Nuke - the Ressence from the pic a few pages back was interesting. Fun to wind it too! Not in a hurry to own one, but as in most watch enthusiast gatherings I appreciate what people bring in, especially if they have good reasons for owning/collecting/wearing what they do.

Same guy who brought the Ressence brought the JLC Aston Martin AMVOX3 tourbillon GMT (second from top in the pic) - super nice guy and very impressive collection.

And what's happening to TWAT with these fake Pateks?!

14. no frills

no frills Senior member

Let's clear our palates a bit after that fake Patek. Ick. Here I am making my way through Philippine traffic. Perfect use of a chrono to time how late I am.

[​IMG]

Also met up with fellow Patek fans at - where else? - the Patek boutique at Greenbelt 5 in Makati City. Of course we asked the service manager to take our pics. Heh heh.

[​IMG]

With these kinds of watch stores side by side in one local mall you'd think the Philippines wasn't a poor country...

[​IMG]

Finally, I got to meet up with an old classmate - a lovely lady - whose husband gave her a mid sized nautilus 5800/1A. It's 38mm ear to ear (versus my "Jumbo" Nautilus 5711/1A at 43mm ear to ear) and it just looked so perfect on her wrist. It was the first time I saw it in the flesh and oh man, I think it would be the perfect his and hers pairing if you wanted Genta home runners.

[​IMG]

Note: All Pateks in the pictures above are REAL. However, these Pateks from a local store in Chinatown are NOT:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Glad to have you back Frills. The side by side Nautilus (Nautili?) were great.

16. mtc2000

mtc2000 Senior member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  17. Zephyrnoid

Zephyrnoid Active Member

A Question of Style...
    I sure hope this becomes a 'sticky' some day...

Why I advocate that straps be attached to wrist-watches with the buckle end at the '6' rather than at the customary '12'.

Briefly...
    With the buckle end at the '6' ,when the wearer twists their wrist to read the time, the signed buckle, is displayed to onlookers, who at close proximity can thus read the buckle 'signature' or logo (if any). When straps are oriented in the traditional fashion (attached at the '12'), the tag end is presented to onlookers and if the buckle is visible, it will show the signature upside down,and the tag can be caught up in all manner of 'snares'.

I've noticed that in the past, the exposed tag end of my watches would frequently become caught in nearby 'snares' particularly in my location photography assignments. Impediments and traps such as, coat sleeves, luggage straps, door handles, domestic and professional gear, the dog's collar, and the such-would somehow become caught as I passed my hand askance. This predicament is simply annoying and results in frequent readjustment of the dislodged keepers and tag ends.

I recently consulted with some experts in the Dutch police and discovered from them that pick-pockets depend on the exposed strap tag ends as a starting point for relieving gentlemen of their finer timepieces. Relocating the tag end to face the inside of the wearer, mitigates watch theft considerably.

A final benefit of this simple modification is that in photographs where a recumbent wrist watch is being displayed, the watch case becomes the 'head' and the buckle the 'tail'. This seems to sit well with me when arranging my photographs. In that respect... >>here is my portfolio<< .
    I'll let you be the judge.
    [​IMG]

18. Raven

Raven Active Member

Thanks for the detailed reply Dino! I suppose, it looking similar to Patek doesn't bother me too much because while I work in a professional setting where people can probably afford Pateks, I have actually yet to see someone wear one (seen some Rolex daytonas, higher end IWCs, but no Pateks yet). So my guess is, be it friends or colleagues, they wouldn't be in the know of it being similar to the Patek World Time that was mentioned.

I do like the look of it, but I'm not sure if I 'love it'. Well, I don't think I've really felt strongly about any watch within budget.

19. Raven

Raven Active Member

Thanks RN. The impression I got from just reading various forums and speaking with ADs is that FC is an up and comer and you get a lot of bang for your buck. Though, they are relatively new and don't have the history behind it... and I guess in the last few years since I started learning about the brand, it hasn't changed from an after-market perspective.

I won't likely sell any watch I buy, but I guess it's knowing that something maintains value (or depreciates slowly) is a 'nice to know' I guess.

I really only have two watches - IWC Spitfire chrono, and a vintage universal geneve. I'm not sure how to go about "starting a watch collection". Seems like it's quite varied - someone people like to buy many watches in the lower mid luxury levels, and some save up money so they can own a few higher end watches. I like the look of the FC worldtimer, but I think the drive is more opportunistic than anything (getting a good watch for a good deal) - especially since there are very few ADs here, unlike back when I was in HK (watch capital outside of Europe).

1 person likes this.
  20. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ there is so much turnover in Asia (HK especially) it's easy to find great pieces on the secondary market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.