1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

A couple of thoughts, solicited and not.
    1. I'd save for the better watch. I like some of the FC stuff, but if you have the opportunity to get something better and aren't hurting yourself financially for it, get a JLC or other.
    2. It won't retain value at all, so only buy it if you intend to keep it.
    3. Consider that the current trend for men's watches on women will (and probably has to some extent) run its course. If you already have a couple of larger watches, you may want to think about whether it really has legs. I agree that most women's watches are absolute crud, and there just isn't space for some of the complications that men's watches have, but, that being said, there are some decent pieces out there.

1 person likes this.
  2. stevent

stevent Senior member

It's $2200ish at Jomashop:
    http://www.jomashop.com/frederique-constant-watch-fc-718mc4h6.html
    http://www.jomashop.com/frederique-constant-watch-fc-718wm4h6.html
    http://www.jomashop.com/frederique-constant-watch-fc-718mc4h4.html
    http://www.jomashop.com/frederique-constant-watch-fc-718wm4h4.html

I like the watch a few months ago when I was just getting in watches but would save for something better now

3. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I bought one about 6 months ago and i'm very happy with it. Was going back and forth between that and a JLC master geo ; the JLC is more nicely finished, but I just couldn't get past the winking robot, and the master world geo was too pricey and too busy/sporty. Honestly, I have yet to find a true worldtimer with a layout that I personally like better. There's a Ball that is decent, and the PP is livable if you have $40k to drop, but if you like it - go for it, especially at $2200 bucks. The Breitling is pretty, but it's gigantic, so was not an option for me (looked stupid). If you will have the money for a JLC or PP later, this isn't going put too much of a delay in your getting there. Now, if it's not a true worldtimer that you desire, there are all kinds of options.

4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Raven, would you mind to share a pic of the IWC Spitfire? I love Spitfires!

6. robw

robw Senior member

You get a lot for your money and it is nice looking watch, but I can't see it having any real long term value. One thing that bothers me about it is it looks too much like a Patek 5130 (I know it is bigger) and I would not want a watch that looks like a knock off. That is my opinion; you may not care or see the resemblance.

Anyway, if you like the watch and can live with dropping 2500 or so on it then go ahead. If you are on the fence, I say pass. Buying a watch just because it is a good deal usually doesn't work, unless as I say, the sum of money at issue won't make a huge difference in your life.

You are looking at buying it at about 30% off which is good, but not can't pass it up good, IMO. My sense is it will be around down the road at this price as well and no need to jump on it.

As always, its best to see and handle the watch before buying.

Good luck either way

7. Raven

Raven Active Member

Thanks for the input so far guys.

@ stevent: I put $2400 because that was the original quote I got, but I think I can probably get it for $2100-2200. I am on the fence because I wonder if I would really ever consider buying a $7000 watch (even if I have the extra cash lying around) because it's tough to justify it vs. a $2000ish purchase.

I didn't realize the AD was selling a number of watches with a good discount until recently. I missed out on an opportunity to buy this guy:

[​IMG]

@ robw: Per my comment above, I had put $2400/2500 because that was the original price I got quoted, but I think I can bring it down to $2100/$2200. I haven't really paid attention to Patek models (largely because I know that's wayyy out of my price range), but I guess it does look a bit like the Patek 5130 (except the FC's got the date wheel, and one crown).

@ akatsuki: If I were to buy it, I am 99% certain I'm not going to sell it. It's just nice to know whether something will maintain value and it sounds like for the most part FC does not. As for the trend of men's watches on women running its course... well, I guess I don't care about the trend. I would wear a men's watch (of a reasonable size - nothing over 42 mm, which is already quite big) because I like it, not because it's fashionable or not. Besides the IWC spitfire, my other watch is a very plain ~30mm (give or take) vintage universal geneve.

@ ChicagoRon: May I ask how much you got yours for? Also, what other watches do you have in your collection?

@ Betelgeuse: When I get the chance I'll take a pic of the spitfire. Though, mine is the spitfire chrono model (before they remodeled it and sold it at more than double the price). While I really like it (for the interesting dial), I go back and forth on whether I should have bought the more popular iwc pilot chrono with the cleaner black dial. Anyway, will post when I get the chance.

If anyone else has had experience with FC, would love to hear more about it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  8. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Well I've finally joined the Rolex club. Been at this watch thing for about 8 or 9 years and all of my friends and family can't believe that I've never owned one. In the past none of their models really sung to me. The quality, finish and history are undeniable, but I always found other pieces more interesting and appealing. Then I started seeing all the different Rolex experiences here and came to appreciate the views about the brand. I came to see the actual value (yes can you believe I actually used that word with watches? ) in Rolex as a brand, and though in the past I wondered why they never seemed to acquiesce to the rabid watch-a-holics crying for different designs - I finally got it. They try to preserve their identity and in doing so are unapologetically loyal to themselves. I respect that in a lot of ways, and though I still feel brands need to avoid being stagnant, I think Rolex just does so many things right. Now I know this watch won't get much (if any) love here, we are on SF after all. But if you'll permit my sharing of this DSSD with you guys, because I just love this watch. I understand the criticism (the size, extraneous text, tapered bracelet, thickness etc..), but when it's on my wrist I just see an incredibly crafted watch that I know will not fail. It's not a stretch at all compared to my other watches in terms of its size and weight and I look forward to the joy of ownership with the Crown. The DSSD is as very much Rolex as it is un-Rolex. Which makes me love it that much more. Thanks for reading Just some iPhone pics, forgive the quality [​IMG] [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  9. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

:slayer::slayer::slayer:

10. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

^^ what he said. fantastic watch. ^^

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Fabulous choice. Congrats!!!!

That's one HUGE chunk of Awesomeness.

Just remember to tuck it in as much as possible when walking thru doorways. You wouldn't want to widen them anymore than they already are.LOL

12. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Beautiful ... but especially at the wrist by a great importance .. really.

13. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I paid $3k with tax included and a replacement strap for my rolex. It was still a fairly new model.

My other watches are all lower mid-range - I was saving up for a GO PanoLunar, and probably will start again, but I have a few watches I like to wear and I really wanted this rug: http://www.therugcompany.com/us/silver-rings (I'm super happy with the purchase) so I'm back to like $100 in the kitty, and I won't buy a watch on credit.

Oris Worldtimer

[​IMG]

A vintage Gold Ulysses Nardin
    A vintage Rolex stainless oyster perpetual (no date)
    A hamilton jazzmaster viewmatic

14. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

RN - Very nice DSSD! I had the opportunity to try one on and it is a hefty chunk of metal. Wear it in good health.

15. mimo

mimo Senior member

Congrats, RN, looks great on you. :)

16. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Thanks guys, appreciate the sentiments.

One really interesting side note and not sure if other Rolex owners have had this experience - I've been peeling off the protective plastic since last night - at least 30 different very thin pieces protecting the case, the clasp, the bracelet. They're very subtle and you almost miss them. It's actually quite impressive the amount of protection Rolex puts on it prior to shipping. I thought I got them all last night, but ended up finding more and more this morning! All the pieces of plastic are extremely precisely cut too. Some of them were a APIA to take off, but it was nice knowing the trouble they go through to secure their watches..

1 person likes this.
  17. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Congrats on the new beastie rnguy - you wear it well - enjoy!

18. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

19. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Sorry for the late reply. As others have said, there is no real resale or value in this watch in the second hand market. This is a watch that you buy for yourself and then plan to hang onto because its will have a relatively low demand in the used market. In fact, I know of a few pre-owned watch stores that won't consider buying anything or taking anything in trade unless its from a big name brand. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it. It just means that its a watch that if you are going to pull the trigger on, do it with the mind set of it being a keeper.

I would also say that people far too often focus on whether a movement is made in house or if it is outsourced. That doesn't necessarily mean very much. Quality and workmanship mean more, especially in moderately priced watches (in high priced watches movements are often to very high standard regardless of in house or not). I'd happily take a Cartier with a very finely finished JLC or Piaget based movements over some Breitlings with in house movements.

For me this design, just looks as some else mentioned, too close to a Patek World Time watch. While some may consider that a benefit of this design, I generally am not a fan of watches that look like homage watches or are too close in design to well known watches.

Also, as for price, don't be persuaded merely by a discount. By a watch you truly love and then you will enjoy it and know its a keeper. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hey RNGUY,

Congrats on your Rolex. I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment. I had a buddy that was a hater for years, citing all the usual criticism of Rolex's (that they are too common, have a rather plain/utilitarian finish on the movement etc). Then about 5 years ago, he became interested in a white dial 16570 Explorer 2. He finally gave in and bought it, and sent me an email a few months later saying his only regret was not buying it a few years sooner when it would have been even less expensive.

Congrats again and enjoy it!

20. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Hi Dino

Funny you mention this - the DSSD underwent a huge 1 year price increase either in 2011 or 2012. (about 20% of it's MSRP IIRC). It was such a point of controversy for many, since it was one of the largest price increases (for a steel Rolex) in recent memory.

I could definitely have saved a few coins buying back then. C'est la vie. I do hear Rolex is planning on increasing prices again, though no AD is ever privy to a specific date or price point.

Thank you for the kind words

R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.