The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:That's the one I could see myself wearing, if not actually buying.

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I love the look of the new GMT. I look forward to seeing one in the metal eventually. Glad to hear it did not disappoint in person.

Tourneau is always like that. Its fine to look there, but the overall experience is always a let down. I find the SAs are like vultures hovering over a meal as they are afraid if you talk to anyone besides them they will lose their next meal. Its a very uncomfortable feeling. In addition, their sales people rarely seem well educated when it comes to product information.

Most of the boutiques are really a joy to visit. Great selections and very knowledgeable SAs. Although, I wasn't terribly impressed with the VC sales associate I had on my last visit to their NYC boutique. She didn't seem to know much about the models I asked to look at. When I asked a few questions, all she could do was try to skim their website using an iPad. I would have thought she would have info available to her beyond what I have access to from home.

The F430 will go really well with a new Black/Blue GMT! [​IMG]

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

you should be, imo. its awesome. pricey at 8950, but im yearning hard for it. how well it sat on the wrist and supremely comfortable it was really pushed me over the edge.
    lol
    because its awesome. hard to decide between daytona and speedy. very different watches. having both is obviously the way to go.
    i look forward to seeing one on your wrist. too bad about VC. :( yes, that would be a great watch/car combo. also, i have noticed that almost every SA in the boutiques were asian women, usually looked to be 30 and older, with some younger women.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013

4. in stitches

on another note, a customer left this for us to make an offer on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LOLOLOLOLOLOL WHO GUESSES IT AND WHO WAS FOOLED????

[​IMG]

5. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Did the resultant offer include an invitation to go and undertake an improbable auto-sexual feat?

That's really quite special. [​IMG]

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I will buy it, $8,000!

Look at that black polished battery. Stunning.

7. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Even if it were real, the condition was awful. But I suspected foul play just based on the fact that most people who pay that much for a watch take better care.

8. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Apart from the un-brushed case, my first thought was "did they start off faking a Valjoux 7750-powered Tag, and then change their minds?"

9. in stitches

lolz. customer does not know yet. they left the watch over the weekend. my boss wanted me too look at it before he decided.

i had some indications, but because of the number of ROO models i was not 10000000% sure until i opened it up. then i looked at the seconds hand to see it "ticking" not "running." i didnt even check that because i could not imagine that the guy who looked at it would not have picked up on that. had i saw that, i wouldnt even have opened up.

good luck to my co-worker who has to relay the news.

as to condition, i have found that its not really a great indicator. even the fact it had no box and papers. when it comes to the very rich, a lot of these watches are impulse buys for fun or gifts to people who are not really watch lovers, especially if they are graduation presents. its just a fun trinket to play with until its broken. the box and papers are like gas station receipts and get thrown away or lost and forgotten about.

resale is not a factor when some of these are bought or received. sad, i know. but different strokes for different folks. we have bought some fantastic pieces that were all messed up and no box or papers. obviously the cost to repair is significant and the resale value is less, and we therefor offer less, but for the right price, they can be great buys.

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

N.B. I knew you were a pawnbroker!

11. in stitches

"N.B." ?

either way, noap!

12. no frills

no frills Senior member

"nota bene" - or, better yet, P.S.

Thanks by the way for the awesome help and guidance with my brother-in-law's search (you too, mimo). They are wavering in their decision to spend so much money on a single watch. I suppose it doesn't help that I have refused to tell them how much I have blown in recent months, although a simple internet search could give them an idea...

13. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Shurely shome mishtake?

14. no frills

no frills Senior member

Yesh thatsh what I meantsh! [​IMG]

15. in stitches

my pleasure, as always. :)

i love sean connery acshents.