The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Thank you for the review! Very honest, but still does not discourage me from getting one :)

2. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I think there's maybe a sweet spot of value versus the size of the company. RGM and Nomos, both mentioned in this context above, are not something new and unpredictable either. They both now seem like established makers with their own loyal customers and following, and fall at the lower end of the "proper" watch market in terms of price, too. So what's to lose?

As for the re-case ebauche, I think sometimes it's a nice option to have as an entry point. I would happily buy my son a 500 Dollar Tissot, and quite fancy a 1100 Dollar Stowa for myself. But once you get much beyond that, I'd rather spend 2-3k on a nice Nomos that has some originality.

As for the fashion brands, or re-invented brands like Perrelet, they are just not happening for me unless they are offering something truly original. No doubt that's why they are so heavily discounted: I just looked at a retrograde hour regulator from Perrelet just as a novelty. Apart from being rather cheap looking, it's listed at over 9k, which is insane considering what that could buy. It took all of thirty seconds to find it online at 60 per cent off. No need to ask why.

3. sliq

sliq Senior member

http://www.johnwthompson.net/

does his engraving by hand. if memory serves me correctly, he also designed the same wedding rings worn by prince charles and princess diana... AND... also did the engraving for THE ring on LOTR.

based in Sydney.

lmk how it goes. good luck!

4. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

On the subject of re-invented brands, here's a special picture of what Frilly wants for his birthday.

:D

[​IMG]

In fairness, I think they have some in-house movements now, and they are certainly original...I mean, who else would make this?!

5. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

To each his own, but I would not wear that watch.

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I will admit that I totally dig the Graham Chronofighter watches with the cappuccino machine grafted onto the side (though not that particular one). Completely over the top, but cool. I'd never buy one, though. As price rises my taste becomes increasingly conservative. A big cool funky-fun CHEAP watch is something I would go for. A big cool funky-fun PRICEY watch - no way.

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Thanks! I will post my Speedmaster Review in here as well then. Also a fairly lengthy review.

I sure hope not! I just hate, hate, hate gushy reviews. I mean, even things you love in life have aspects that are not ideal. For example, you can love how the crown looks aesthetically. But that does not mean that it is perfect functionally. I hope not to dissuade anyone from purchasing. Imagine what it must be like dating me.

I am glad you enjoyed it!

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

great write up, newcomer.

glad to see you switched back to the black strap. ;)

also, very glad you made the point about the many angles/facets of the case. that is one of my favorite parts of my squadra as well. i will try and get some pics of that.

in the meantime, from yesterday on the way to NYC.

[​IMG]

9. MSchott

MSchott Active Member

It depends on how you define "breathtakingly expensive". Speake-Marin, Journe, Hautlence, Moser some Richard Mille pieces, and others are expensive but not in the same class as MB and F, Dufour, Gruebel Forsey and others.

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Beautiful Stitchy, you are really making me want to try on a Squadra the next time I am anywhere close to a JLC dealer.

And I have to say... the black croc strap is really where it is at. The Ostrich is nice to have though. It has darkened substantially from the original pictures.

11. in stitches

as promised, some tales from my trip to NYC yesterday.

first and foremost, i happened upon the wempe/rolex boutique and they had the blue/black GMT. amazing. sits supremely comfortable on the wrist, nice heft but not too heavy. looks absolutely stunning in person. this may very well be my next watch, by hook or by crook. lady said i couldnt buy the one i tried on. there is wait list. close call lol (not really).

[​IMG]

i hit the omega boutiqe and saw the hour vision which was pretty cool. i also tried on the speedy, this was a reissue numbered edition, i tried it on because it was on a strap, not a bracelet. very comfortable and great looking. i think outside of high complications the speedy may be my favorite chrono, tough call against the daytona, but on of those two takes the top spot for me.

[​IMG]

hit the breitling and piaget boutiques as well. tried on the emperador. what a gorgeous watch. wish it had an exhibition back, but still, fantastic timepiece. sorry, i didnt take pics. :(

lastly i hit torneau. what a shit hole. great looking building, great inventory, i mean wow, they have a lot to look at. and on top of that, they must have 100 SAs/employees there, and still, i felt like no one gave a crap about me. i even got lip from the SA for winding the watch i was looking at to see it run. i mean, it was an IWC fa jones tourbillon, but i never had that happen to me before. amazing watch btw.

as for the boutiques, they were fantastic. every person i spoke to was well educated on the products, very very nice, and not only did they let me try on watches, the encouraged and asked me to try on watches. i have to say, the feel and service of all the boutiques i have visited were all absolutely fantastic.

one more gratuitous watch shot. :hide:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013

12. in stitches

thanks! you should. then we can be watch twinz and tie twinz!

the black croc on your watch of your is sublime.

13. forex

forex Senior member

^^That speedy looks great, I am going to have to get a strap for mine. Still not a huge fan of the newly released GMT.

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I think you have mistakenly combined my 2 posts. My post to the engaged couple was only relative to engraving/embossing. My discussion about "Big name brands" was in response to Journeyman's discussion about SF's choosing watches from brands that are owned by big companies.
    Yes, they are. Actually, AP is the only company that is still owned by owned by family of the founders.
    Got a good laugh about her marrying beneath herself. Congrats to both of you. Nomos is a good solid brand. I'm sure it will being you many years of happiness. Wishing you all the best.
    I guess I see clothing and watches as so different, that its difficult to make any direct comparison in how people choose them. Sure I think people strive to purchase quality with each, and some people like products from smaller companies that they perceive as offering greater exclusivity, while others prefer to deal with known entities. I don't think either choice is wrong, its simply how risk averse we may be.

I learned a long time ago, you can spend a tremendous sum of money on the finest suit. If it brings you enjoyment, its great quality, you enjoyed the shopping experience, and you feel good wearing it that is what matters. However, once they cut the sleeves and pants to your size, particularly if you are short, it limits who could purchase it after you and to be honest...its just not worth very much to a subsequent buyer. It can also easily get stained, torn, or if its not something classic in style, it could be out of style in a few years. So when we buy fine clothing, we expect its just for our personal enjoyment and there really is very little value beyond that. I don't think I've met many people that say, I hope someday my son and grandson will wear these trousers.

When people spend a lot of money on watches, many people hope it is something that will last a lifetime. That it is something that can be passed down to our future generations. They hope it is something that will at least retain a good amount of its value (or if luck lends a hand it may even appreciate in value some day). However, to do these things, the watch must be functional, it must be something that can be serviced, and something that parts are available for or could be made if necessary. Hence it seems natural that many people would turn to established companies and companies with significant financial backing to ensure that parts, service, and resale value will still be there many years from now. Yes, a very gifted watch maker may be able to make parts for an old, IMHO, I would much rather have Patek, AP, VC etc source or make parts and do work on my watch rather than someone who is essentially an aftermarket person. To me its part of keeping the watch as original as possible and having only Patek, AP, VC parts. A former VC forum moderator bought a vintage VC, it needed restoration and its dial was no good. They helped track down a NOS dial that was 50-60 years old at a very old VC service center, in a foreign country. I highly doubt some clothing company will need to, or is going to help a person find a period correct zipper for a pair of pants.

The above is just my 2 cents on why you see a difference in the sizes and types of companies people buy clothing from vs. watches.

If someone can find a relatively reasonably priced watch from an independent, and they like the design, I say why not go for it. Choices are often limited in the lower price ranges and if you can get something interesting, you don't have much money tied up in it, and the quality is pretty good, it might be a nice choice for you. Its when someone starts spending a lot of money on an independent that I start to wonder if that is such a great purchase. We all have different taste, but sometimes I see people purchase something for the sake of being different (which is fine), but there is a big difference between buying something that is different and buying something that is better. I've seen some nice watches from independents, and they can be quite creative at times, but when I've looked at some of the details they are sometimes not as finely finished as pieces I've seen from say PP, Lange, AP etc.
    RGM and Nomos are both very good brands. I can easily see how they appeal to many people as they are relatively affordable for what they are offering.

As for "Re-invented brands" like Perrelet, I just don't think of them as anything significant or authentic. Brands like Perrelet and Graham really have nothing to do with their namesakes. They are merely marketing ploys using names from the past to create history and mystique for what are actually new brands. There are enough really good offerings from other brands that have actual history and have made significant contributions to the watch world.

15. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I only wore it for a picture...so I guess i'd wear it, but never buy it! Just goes back to a previous discussion about silly watches.

The thing is, if you do like them, they're another watch that seems to be discounted very quickly and very heavily. Not as much as Perrelet perhaps, but the fact that they have so many different editions seems to add to the price crash - there's always a "new one". Perhaps they were hoping to be collectible by having a lot of odd editions, but personally I reckon they'd be better off toning down a notch and having a consistent, coherent line up to build their brand first. Still not worth it for me, although I did like one of their simpler "Spitfire" editions.

Look forward to it. These things can be a bit limp sometimes - nobody wanting to bite the hand that feeds them. But I think you got the balance about right.

"Police are searching for a Jewish man in good shoes, known only as "Stitchy"" "I feel such a fool", said Ferrari owner Matthew Spoo, "I mean, I know the guy from the freaking internet...what was I thinking giving him the keys?!"

I really like the way the GMT looks in this pic. That three-way cage fight with you and Dino is abck on! As for the Speedy, I think it's just such a different hit from the Daytona. Apart from the price difference, of course, I find the Daytona much more dressy and almost ostentatious. And I love it. But the Speedy has that jeans and leather knockabout look, like a pilot watch, or an old Sub. And I think it looks way cooler on a strap - unlike the Daytona, where the Oyster bracelet is the only way it works. You should probably have one. Just sayin'.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.