The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

No doubt!

2. Flake

Flake Senior member

The JV straps are amazing. Hot one for my 251 as I think it's the best looking strap on a white face PAM. Alas, I traded the 251. But still have the JV. It would look better on a tobacco dial than on my black dial PAMs. Guess ill have to break down and snag a tobacco dial luminor

3. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Most unintentionally accurate typo of the week!

And it looks awesome with a black dial on the 323. I promise. ;)

4. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Anyone interested in a Jules Verne strap may want to check out Peter with Watchacc. He's an online (Asian?) seller, does custom stuff and has a good rep in the WIS community.

No store front that I am aware of, basically handles transactions via email/PayPal.

His version of the JV should be less than $200 US, and he can do different tapers, stitch colors, pretty much whatever you want.

I believe he calls it "gold nubuck", but it's quite close to the Panerai OEM and I've only read good things, and seen lovely pics.

Here's his Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Watchacc-Watch-Accessories-Page/202634479808387

And an old Time Zone Sales Corner listing for example...

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6372390&rid=56354#msg_6372390

As a disclaimer, I have no relationship with the seller and in fact have not purchased from him, but I can vouch that he returned an email inquiry very promptly and professionally.

P.S. Nice avatar, Mimo.

5. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

^^ Thanks Keith; it's from this week's "Friday Challenge"; in which I'm tanking as usual, but at least found a use for one of the pics. I enjoyed this one!

Great tip on the straps; they look pretty incredible value compared to ABP.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

glad to help push you in the reverso camp, they are amazing. :)

i was very nervous as well, but i have seen their work on hundreds of watches, many far more expensive than mine, and considering it was just a simple touch up on the high gloss and relubing the movement, the cost benefit ratio was not enough for me to send to JLC. but to each their own.

glad to share the pics, and tahkns for the kind words. it really does feel awesome.

thanks, man! clasp is JLC, i had a black gator strap before and this was the original clasp the watch came with. i just had to take it off the old strap and put it on the new one.

7. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

This will be sharing time (pun intended) on my wrist with my OuJ sometime next week...

[​IMG]

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

looks amazing.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Zippy,

That Tank Basculante is very cool! The last time I came across one I believe it was a quartz version, and as I'm sure you know the manual wind models are the ones that are more sought after (especially since they have F.Piguet movements). Great watch thanks for sharing some photos.

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Forgive my ignorance; is that a custom order from Richard Murphy? It looks wonderful. And as a seguet from the previous subject, great strap choice!

11. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

It's a watch RGM did for the Equation of Time website. It is based on a Hamilton deck watch from the 40s. It is no longer available.

Read more about it here - http://www.justmywatches.com/private/watches/22/22review.htm

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  12. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I meant to say this earlier Scott--I really appreciate your presence on this thread. You are one of the only ones here that has the stones to order watches from the much less usual suspects. Keep up the good work :).

13. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Thanks, I appreciate it. I have a hard time getting excited about giving my money to large companies that won't notice whether I buy or not.

This one is used, but I figured it is an inexpensive way to add a 2nd independent.

14. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Dear Horological Lords,

My soon-to-be-testicles-owner is insistent on buying me a watch when we get engaged. I've been lusting after the Nomos Tangente Glasboden for a very long time, and even tortured myself by trying it on in person while in Europe, only to not buy it! I've been kicking myself ever since. It's beautiful and it fit my wrist absolutely perfectly.

Catch is she wants some form of discrete personalisation to it. Nothing tacky, perhaps just initials or our engagement date. Just something to make it a touch more personal.

She's not going to touch the watch itself (we aren't retards), but she's thinking more about engraving the underside of the clasp, or perhaps embossing the underside of the cordovan strap.

Where would be best to get this done? Is this at all possible? Will I have to order a custom clasp to get this done properly?

Thanks all in advance - I look forward to joining your esteemed ranks!

Cheers,

Alex

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  15. Kazimir

Kazimir New Member

Well, the strap comes and goes. Even if it's cordovan, it will wear off, eventually. So embossing it doesn't sound like a good idea.

If it's a "glasboden" you want, there will be not much space to do it on the back, like it's usually done.

So you have the side of the case, or a generic clasp- that you can buy cheap.

If you're sure that the girl and the watch are both keepers, do it on the side- opposed to the crown. If not, the clasp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.