The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:) all true!

also, even though i i have no issue wearing the 112 with a suit, i do usually wear it with a SC and trou, or chinos and casual wear. generally i wear my JLC with a suit as i feel it is more congruous, but it has been "in the shop."

2. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Mimo - I like the rec of the IWC pilot. Try and get a 3717 new before they're gone. Stitch - badass strap RogerP - great combo on that awesome 9300

3. in stitches

:slayer: thanks, man.

4. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Sweet strap stitch. Do you know if JLC will sell you a Navy strap?

6. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

With a description like that, it sounds like this would be perfect:

[​IMG]

(36mm version).

Don't know if these can still be found new, but if you locate a used one you can always say you're pretty sure it comes from this dude:

[​IMG]

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Fantastic strap Stitchy. I love it. Can't wait to see some decent photos of the JLC on it.
    Nice photo. Lots of fun with both color and texture.
    The 36mm 114270 Explorer is a classic! I had one for 10 years but rarely wore it. I love it in photos, but it never really got much wrist time so I found it a new home. Still love seeing photos of them.

Most recent photo of Brad on the cover of Esquire shows him wearing an odd version of a Cartier Tank from a few years ago, the Tank A Guichets. I've never really been into jumping hour watches, so it doesn't really do anything for me.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013

8. in stitches

thanks! dont know, but i dont think so. the watch is available in different variations, black and brown leather, rubber, SS and gold. maybe another brown too, but i dont think they make this watch with a navy strap, and i doubt they would do a 1 off.

:( be cause it would be cool as ish.

thanks! i hope to get some pics om in the morrow. :)

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

By the way, I tried the Tank Solo on today. It was very nice on the wrist, but I can't help but think that I would rather have a Reverso on my wrist. Particularly, the 1931. So I am leaning more towards that now. Time to start saving money for a supplement :).

And Stitch, I am really looking forward to the pictures. Please let me know how the service was. i.e., what they were able to polish out, and what they were not.

10. in stitches

GO REVERSO!!! :slayer:

i did not have it serviced and polished by JLC. as i understand it, that would take a number of months and would be very costly. there is a place we use in florida that specializes in high end watch servicing, and that is where we send the watches that we buy to be serviced before we put them up for sale.

i asked them to only polish the high gloss parts and leave the brushed sides as is, because i dont think anyone can provide a brush finish the way the manufacture does, it never looks 100% to me. it always feels too flat and sticky if that makes any sense. and anyways, the brushed sides didnt really need any touch up. they did a perfect job on the high gloss portions, it looks like new.

as well, there were no parts that needed to be replaced, just fix the amplitude, and clean and re-lubricate. even though they only use OEM parts when part replacement is needed, if it needed that kind of service i probably would have sent it to JLC and ponied up the cost.

it took about 4 weeks and they did a fantastic job as always. i have been timing the watch off my wrist since i got it back a week ago. i have left it in 4 positions, on its side crown up and down, and face up and face down, and it has been running great. we have a great relationship with this company and they did not let me down.

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Day off, bored in the afternoon...time for some tyre-kicking in the ever-empty Panerai boutique: I've tried the base Luminor before, and it's the most reasonably priced and, imho the "definitive" Panerai. But given your suggestion, I tried some fancier options that caught my eye:

I continue to be surprised by how "wearable" these boys are in the flesh. This 323 thing has a GMT subdial (and I like the centre second hand they've added) and 10 day power reserve, and is a monstrous 47mm of lumpy steel automatic. I suppose because it has the wire loop instead of lugs, the feel of it is much smaller. I was really surprised by how easy it wears. I love that strap too. Trivial, perhaps, but the whole thing was very appealing.

[​IMG]

Then the 346 - 8 Days power reserve, manual, in titanium. And this is weird. 45mm case, but the combination of the wire and the lightweight case, it felt like a toy after the previous one. Love the brown dial, but, forgive me if my ignorance is shining through, it didn't feel like a "proper" Panerai. More of a compromise, a half-hearted, embarrassed effort. Despite being big, I just think if it's a Panerai, it should feel just a touch ridiculous! I liked it, but it didn't make me feel like enough of a douchebag!

[​IMG]

And so back to Luminor. And this, the 423. This is the watch that should be unwearably douche-sized: 47mm steel case with chunky lugs and that huge crown guard. I love the asymmetric dial layout, the "dirty" lume, and basically all of it. And the fact is, although it's big and it's heavy, fat mimo in cargo pants and a polo shirt on his day off, felt great in it. But it's ten grand. There are a lot of things you can get for ten grand. This is a very dangerous attraction.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Flake

Flake Senior member

112 dresses up reasonably well on black croc.

13. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

14. in stitches

mimo - those all look great on you. i think the 323 and 423 look best, with a slight edge to the 423.

may have to get on of those.

:fistbump:

15. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Looking good on you, Mimo The 323 is a grail of sorts for me. I would love to see one sometime. Buying unseen may be unwise.. I LOVE the 346. Amazing watch. More subdued, yes but this is a great way to own a PAM without feeling "ridiculous" ;) That thing can't be cheap. the 423 is my least favorite. I've never liked OP's PR indicators on the dial for the most part. It just looks off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.