The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

do not like. i dont think that would appeal to many women under 70.

2. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

For a chrono, Archimede pilot.

http://www.archimede-watches.com/ar...graph-b-watch-automatic-valjoux-eta-7750.html

3. no frills

no frills Senior member

I hate it too. But it was the only example of a vintage Patek for ladies that I could find for under $5K. My brother-in-law did say send me the first example I came across.....

4. dbln79

dbln79 Well-Known Member

Here's some lume from a 112
    [​IMG]

5. Khal80

Khal80 Active Member

Still looking for a watch with a 3/4k budget.....thoughts on:

-Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 1887 Chronograph Automatic or
    Frederique Constant Heartbeat Mens Watch

6. no frills

no frills Senior member

Why is the font so highlighted with the FC suggestion? Are you saying that you basically prefer this one...? [​IMG]

7. saysomething

saysomething Well-Known Member

How do I convince my wife that vintage watches do not carry with them the spirits of their past owners?

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

LOL ^ is she Asian? My girl thinks this as well.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1 Agree completely!
    As Wayward suggests she may be interesting. But the bleach blond hair, plastic parts and tramp stamp...she is a dime a dozen in Vegas.

She's got nothing on Kate!
    Very solid suggestions.
    The bracelet on the Ellipse is horrific. As Stitchy suggested it just screams geriatric ward.

I think in the $3-5K range with men's watches being acceptable, brands in her range with watches at 40mm or a bit less are as you mentioned include vintage watches from Rolex, Cartier, Omega, Breitling, IWC, and Heuer.

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I agree with the suggestions above: personally I like Stowa for something casual but simple, and Tissot for a chunky sports chrono. Yes, they're generic, but as they fall into that price range, they strike me as bang on for the money. Hamilton I've never hankered after, but seems to fall into the same bag. I'm thinking of something similar for my own son - probably a Tissot chronograph of some sort. And maybe the Stowa for myself!

Both would be a horrible waste of 4k imho. The 1k watches above would have more integrity - and are basically the same as what you're proposing to buy for 4. If you're not interested in vintage/used (a world of wonders at your budget), then I'd suggest an Omega for that kind of price - a Speedmaster Professional is the obvious choice if you want a sports chrono, or you could get a 42mm Seamaster in that budget too if you like the dive watch thing.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Argh! That Base Luminor haunting again! Be quiet, voices in my head!!!

You're right, I think in retrospect that you'd been "practicing" with more modest (i.e. only regular extravagant) purchases late last year, but Jan and Feb was when you peaked! Either way, it was pretty intense even as a spectator!

This is a very broad specification, isn't it? If she's OK with vintage, there seem to be a million wonderful things in that price range. But I can't help but think that if she "quite liked" the used Sub, it's not the one. "Quite like" isn't the response I'd want for a $5k gift to my lady. But that would have been the obvious used choice, just as the obvious new choice to me would be Omega - Speedy at the sporty end, man's DeVille still chunky but more subtle.

My wild card suggestion would be that Nomos Zurich Weltzeit we all admired a while back. Quirky, interesting, big but not over 40mm, and none of her girlfriends will have one. If that's too odd, then maybe one of the coloured but simple editions, right at the bottom of his price range. I don't know why but I've a fixation on German watches, from Stowa to Lange and all in between. Considering I'm part Swiss, I should probably keep my mouth shut! But on that note, a sporty alternative might be a Sinn 6000? Maybe that's a bit expensive for a fairly generic Valjoux 7750 chrono. But it's still kind of cool.

As for that Patek, I think the old lady jibes are a bit harsh! I can picture it on my (young!) lady just fine, and the case shape is so classic and elegant. But if she doesn't like it, she doesn't like it. Isn't that all that matters?

12. apropos

apropos Senior member

This particular Tag is actually worth considering. Don't stop at the name!

13. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

That UN looks very nice, any chance you could take a better (sorry) picture of it? :D

14. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Guilty as charged, I suppose, and it does look nice. But...the price just seems so high.

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

Agree completely. But then it might be patently unfair to start comparing women to Kate...

These are all excellent suggestions, many, many thanks. We'll look into it.

As it turns out, the Patek might not be her daily wearer choice indeed. But my brother-in-law may end up getting it for himself hahaha. Some slightly more flattering pics of the 2573 here:

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/patek-philippe-forum/19760.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.