• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
frills, after a while i found the watch in that pic. way too big for her, she should give it to me.

Stitch - Is the Polaris readily available?

i believe not. i think they are going for 20k + if you can find one for sale, not a lot out there from my quick searching. im so sad. its beautiful. i may have to console myself with the deep seas tribute, memovox or chrono. oh wait, i cant afford that now either. FML.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dino944 you have a good point here (as usual). All of my PPs are on deployant clasps and I don't think twice at all about dropping dime on them, probably because I see their value versus the regular tang buckle (the platinum cases tend to be heavy and swing wildly off my wrist so I might drop them if I used the regular tang buckle and wasn't mindful when taking them off).

The Cartier links you posted look great, and I do agree that it's precious metal + construction that will, at the end of the day, justify the price premium. In the same vein, Patek's deployant clasps often come under fire versus, say, ALS clasps which feel a lot more sturdy (Patek's clasps do feel flimsy). Patek's cufflinks are still not for me, but upon further reflection it may well be because I tend to lose cufflinks pretty easily - and maybe part of me is just concerned that if I'd be pissed as hell if I lost stuff that cost that much.
biggrin.gif

Wrist shot for the day, pics taken about an hour ago. Not me, but a friend of mine who is in Geneva right now for a week (on Patek's dime too). In these pictures he's with an employee of Patek Philippe. Said employee is wearing a travel time Aquanaut (5164A), while my friend is wearing his 5270 perpetual calendar chrono in white gold.

Hi Frills, regarding deployants, particularly on high end watches, it just completes the experience and design IMHO. Yes, Patek's have come under fire about their deployants seeming flimsy compared to those on ALS (those can double as a bottle opener they are so rigid and strong). Still, Patek's do the job are a bit more comfortable from the get go (many people have to flip the ALS ones around to get a reasonable fit (Although theirs are a substantial amount of gold or platinum).

As for cufflinks, I can easily see them not being appealing to some people. I rarely buy shirts with French cuffs these days so haven't bought cufflinks in many in years.

I much prefer your friend's 5270. I've just never been able to warm up to the Aquanaut. When it comes to their dress watches I have a strong preference for the Nautilus (5711 and 5712).

Also, great photo celebrating Kate Upton's Bday!
i am a big fan of the memovox. not for the function, i doubt id ever use it. but the mechanics are very interesting, and a lot of the models are great looking.

off hand, these are still my faves of the memovox models, and both are watches i really would love to own one day.

Quite possibly the only Memovox that holds any interest for me. Very handsome watch!
I dunno. I had a Master Reveil back in the day. The novelty of a mechanical alarm wore off quickly. Plus it wasn't even a very good alarm - soft and muted in volume and tone while on the wrist and only a bit better off the wrist. Didn't keep it long. Would not repeat.

A friend of mine bought one and had the same ownership impressions you did. The novelty quickly wore off and he thought the alarm on it sucked, and he sold it after about 6 months.
Thanks for the comments.. I love some of the variations shown with the Memovox/deep sea tribute, and the black faced version.. I probably should have specified that I'm looking to fill a void of a dress watch in my possession. So while those area beauty's - I'd probably be going for something along the lines of what Roger posted above..

That said.. I'll need to see them in person, but leaning Grand Taille. Thanks for the discussion of the Memovox.. I know it's nothing comparable, but when I was killing time, I had the folks at Harry Winston show me some watches (this might be 2 years ago), and they pulled out a minute repeater. It made an impression. (as any six figure watch might) I never quite understood what the appeal was of the minute repeater, and now at least I've seen the light.

Having not seen or heard the Memovox in person, and while I don't expect anything as dramatic, the idea of a mechanical watch alarm in a fine wristwatch has its appeal.
Minute repeaters are very, very special. The Memovox is a good watch, but its never going to be a minute repeater substitute. As I mentioned above, one of my friends owned a Memovox and his ownership experience mirrored Roger's experience, and he found it to be a bit disappointment.

My vote would be for a Reverso but to each his own. Good luck with whatever you decide.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
100% agree, memovox should never be viewed even as a poor mans repeater. Totally different.

Glad you also like the Polaris.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So - I just got back home from Hong Kong (FINALLY) - saw all the backlash on my RL67 post.

I see the issue with designer branded watches... at $9500, I would not buy the RL67 chrono - I'd rather have the JLC MC Chrono that uses the same movement.

However, at $3,000 you're not getting a prestigious brand on a watch (save a vintage Omega or Rolex) - so I am less concerned at that price point. It's large, but sat very well on my wrist. And I think (in person at least) it looks INFINITELY better than a B&R. $3,000 is also about as low price as you get for a new C.O.S.C, and this one is (someone asked "how can they write chronometer on it). Otherwise, only Tissot makes one in that price, that I know of.

Either way - it's a matter of taste. I liked it, but I didn't spend $3k on it and I probably wouldn't. If it were eligible for the 40% off sales, I'd be all over it, though.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get COSC rated watches for far less. Ultimately it doesn't matter. Buying a designer branded watch is ridiculous.

dlm4114

Reaction score

So - I just got back home from Hong Kong (FINALLY) - saw all the backlash on my RL67 post.

I see the issue with designer branded watches... at $9500, I would not buy the RL67 chrono - I'd rather have the JLC MC Chrono that uses the same movement.

However, at $3,000 you're not getting a prestigious brand on a watch (save a vintage Omega or Rolex) - so I am less concerned at that price point. It's large, but sat very well on my wrist. And I think (in person at least) it looks INFINITELY better than a B&R. $3,000 is also about as low price as you get for a new C.O.S.C, and this one is (someone asked "how can they write chronometer on it). Otherwise, only Tissot makes one in that price, that I know of.

Either way - it's a matter of taste. I liked it, but I didn't spend $3k on it and I probably wouldn't. If it were eligible for the 40% off sales, I'd be all over it, though.

^ FWIW you could get a really cool vintage Heuer for $3k, IMO much cooler than Rolex or Omega at that price point. YMMV though.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
No shout out for the MUT Moon
smile.gif

Also, I am with Devoti... A watch collection should have a Memovox or variation thereof.

If you're not size-ist and just want the novelty, there are 35mm dress versions for a few hundred bucks. I can see it, and I also think Dev is right: if you're of the collector mindset, it's definitely individual and accessible enough to justify its place I'm sure. And yeah, the MUT Moon was the next one, but I can't list EVERY one I like! My only reservation about it is the simple date, which is something I find a bit useless,

You can get COSC rated watches for far less. Ultimately it doesn't matter. Buying a designer branded watch is ridiculous.

Agreed. I think if you're buying a generic movement, it's fine if the price reflects that. A Stowa pilot watch seems perfectly decent to me, but it's half the price, and has its own history. As for a sporty, chunky chrono, there are so many and they're so similar, I'd have to say that if it were completely generic I'd rather pay a few hundred for a Tissot. I think I might get one for my teenaged son actually - "proper" enough to be cared for; cheap enough to risk! Even their COSC watch is under $1k - the most accurate mechanical watch by a mile, under a grand with its ETA movement.

Because **** Emporio Armani and all their friends.

Last edited:

MatthewG18

Reaction score
Friend of mine is a photographer at an event in Las Vegas right now and sent me this pic of a model and her JLC Master Compressor - Valentino Rossi #46.

Damn, thats nice.. Oh the girl looks great too..

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Frills, regarding deployants, particularly on high end watches, it just completes the experience and design IMHO. Yes, Patek's have come under fire about their deployants seeming flimsy compared to those on ALS (those can double as a bottle opener they are so rigid and strong). Still, Patek's do the job are a bit more comfortable from the get go (many people have to flip the ALS ones around to get a reasonable fit (Although theirs are a substantial amount of gold or platinum).

As for cufflinks, I can easily see them not being appealing to some people. I rarely buy shirts with French cuffs these days so haven't bought cufflinks in many in years.
frills, after a while i found the watch in that pic. way too big for her, she should give it to me.

Damn, thats nice.. Oh the girl looks great too..

The JLC does look nice which is why I posted it here for others' perusal. I told my photographer-friend that one of the style gods at SF noted that the watch seemed too big for the young lady's wrist, so he sent this other pic for a different perspective. Same girl, same watch, different angle. The subdials now seem to balance out, but I understand how others may find the proportions still unappealing.

Location was at Liquid in Las Vegas, I believe.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I am unmoved both by the tacky watch design, and the poorly-attired young lady with the bleached hair, plastic breasts and tramp stamp. Not even a proud bottom to compensate. Nope. Actually I don't much like any of JLC's sports watches. It's just horses-for-courses really. Something that doesn't quite add up, like a 47mm Panerai done as ultra-thin moonphase. I also have a deep-seated prejudice against "celebrity" special editions, that really cheapen a brand for me. AP's endless line of ROOs is a good example, and this is of the same ilk. Leave that nonsense to Tag Heuer, Hublot, Breitling I think.

But I do admire the achievements of "The Doctor". The mental image of his gesture to Max Biaggi at Suzuka in his first MGP500 season, brings a cheerful smile to me every time I think of it, even after all these years. :)

Last edited:

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am unmoved both by the tacky watch design, and the poorly-attired young lady with the bleached hair, plastic breasts and tramp stamp.  Not even a proud bottom to compensate.  Nope.  Actually I don't much like any of JLC's sports watches.  It's just horses-for-courses really.  Something that doesn't quite add up, like a 47mm Panerai done as ultra-thin moonphase.  I also have a deep-seated prejudice against "celebrity" special editions, that really cheapen a brand for me.  AP's endless line of ROOs is a good example, and this is of the same ilk.  Leave that nonsense to Tag Heuer, Hublot, Breitling I think.

Don't take yourself so seriously! Life is to be enjoyed. Tacky things can be fun things... in the right context. You can't always tick all the boxes, and if you want to go hardcore purist you'll either have an empty watch box due to lack of funds, or more likely... lack of "true" horological integrity out there. Not everyone can have a Comex Submariner next to a Daytona 6265 next to a Patek perpetual calendar chrono next to a Dufour Simplicity next to a Duometre.

I spend my daylight hours advising folk (amongst other things) not to eat too many burgers, or sleep with tattooed women with plastic breasts, but I'll be damned if I don't enjoy burgers and, dare I say it, appreciate the occasional pair of plastic ****.

I know they're fake/tacky, but I choose to try to enjoy them all the same anyway. Makes me a happier person, certainly a more pleasant person to be around, and it definitely helps keep the blood pressure down.

Just my 0.02 :)

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Quite right. I save my ranting for the internet as far as possible, in order to minimise outbursts in real life, and I do have (and sometimes wear) a Saddam Hussein Rodania quartz, so I can't claim I'm always in good taste by any means.

I also have an empty space where a watch box might be and a lack of funds for the moment, but that's a separate issue! I'm just saying I won't be getting any celeb specials, and I like that my woman has real ones. :)

I'm still smiling about Valentino Rossi though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads