1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Thanks. I really enjoy wearing this watch. Obviously mine has the "old-school" case shape, and it does have a display back. It is a tremendous, proven, and (dare I say) legendary movement, and I've found it to be highly accurate. Between the two you posted, it would probably come down to your own preference on size and/or how they feel....38 and 40 are both classic sizes, but 2mm either way can make a big difference in how the watch sits and in its overall presence on the wrist. Further breaking it down to uber-watch-geek details, I do like the box tip on my version's seconds hand-- but I admit that little red star is pretty damn cool too. And personally I prefer the script "El Primero" writing on the dial, and would rather NOT have the large "AUTOMATIC" in that six o'clock subdial... As always, YMMV... and like I said, probably overall case size would be the deciding factor here. But what this photo really makes me want to do is find just the *perfect* brown croc strap, so I can try yet another look on this watch.

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

@oneeightyseven that JLC is awesome. been forever, how you been?

one piece if advice, pull out the crown and wind the watch and change the time on both directions. should feel completely smooth. if there are issues, you can often feel it when you wind the watch, change the time, or listen to the rotor (if its an auto).

2 people like this.
  3. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Someone a few pages back asked for a few more pics. Here ya go! IWC Big Ingenieur DFB.

First, with its new bracelet:

[​IMG]

Full frontal beauty shot:

[​IMG]

From the rear:

[​IMG]

Back with its OEM strap:

[​IMG]

Chillin with my wife's AT:

[​IMG]

(all photos shot with my phone--please excuse the resolution/focus.)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    2 people like this.
  4. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

5. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Go play! Best to try em on (if you can), take pics, sleep on it, go play some more. Look at the Panersiti website and play some more. You'll probably be surprised what you end up and it may take a little longer but if you want a keeper that you love this is the right thing to do, imho.

6. wurger

wurger Senior member

photo of our wrists before Valentine's day dinner.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. in stitches

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

9. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

wurger - that's fantatsic - best wishes to you both.

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

You state the warranty is out of date. Then you asked, "Is that going to be as big of an issue as I am imagining?" I'm not really sure what you mean by it being a big deal. If you don't care that its not being covered by the Rolex warranty, then no its not a big deal. If something was wrong with the watch and you were planning to bring it to a Rolex Service Center and have it repaired for free under its warranty...well that isn't going to happen. As long as the watch is real and doesn't have any aftermarket parts, then if it needs a repair they charge you for whatever needs to be done. If the watch is maybe 3-4 years old hopefully, any issues it may have had when new would already have been repaired a while ago.
    +1

To the OP, I'd also say, if you aren't familiar with the watches, go see a bunch and do some research to familiarize yourself with them. Are you buying from a store that deals in pre-owned watches or just a private sale? If you have never bought a pre-owned watch, stick with a place that is trustworthy and has a great reputation. If you buy from a reputable shop and something isn't right they will usually help you and stand behind their product. With a private sale, some guys are upstanding...other guys maybe not so much. A friend of mine recently bought a pre-owned watch from a store, it wasn't as described in terms of condition. He didn't push them to take the watch back, but they did refund $900. I probably would have returned the watch. In the end it cost him $1,400 to have the watch serviced...so he was still out some additional money on the watch.

Anyway, wishing the OP lots of luck!

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Great photo! Both are excellent choices!

12. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

13. in stitches

did you forget a comma in there?

1 person likes this.
  14. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

Stitch, my friend, how have you been?! I've finally made my way back to SF haha

A lot has changed, but overall I'm doing well.

Also, thank you for the tip! Excuse my ignorance, but changing time both directions does not hurt the watch? The second JLC is the local one.

sorry for the confusion! What I meant by that was are there typical issues that happen around a certain age of the watch that I would have to be looking out for? (i.e a 4 year old JLC watch is susceptible to problem x and it will cost $y,yyyy) The logic behind this question comes from cars -- I know that S-classes with 80-100,000km have some issues with their ride height sensors and if someone were to purchase one I would be able to warn them of such. I apologize if this sounds absurd, but as you can probably tell I am not well versed in this area.

The watch that I have inquired most about is the third picture (the JLC master grande ultra thin). The owner says that no maintenance nor repair work has been done on it.

I would be buying from a private sale. Originally I was going to purchase through an authorized JLC retailer, but then I found a seller on SF located in Toronto for around half price. I feel bad that my family has had to pay for so many things for me already that I would rather have them pay $5,500-$6,500 than $9,500-$10,000 (unless by some chance I choose the gold rolex, but c'mon that's an all gold rolex!). The seller has the original box and papers. I will also be using Stitch's litmus test to see how smooth the movement is when I wind forwards and backwards.

Another thing that has just come up today as I was talking about it with my sister is that she knows a jeweller who deals in secondhand watches and jewellery. I may also investigate this route further in the coming weeks if the private sales are too risky.

Thank you for your wishes! I hope this all turns out well! :)

15. mimo

mimo Senior member

187, if I might offer a suggestion: it seems to me that the initiative in all this lies with people who want to sell you something specific. It might be better to think about what you want, and then look for it. Everyone's susceptible to this dynamic - to use your preferred analogue of used cars, who hasn't at least considered buying "car X" because a friend is selling one? Yet the logical thing to do is to forget about your friend's car, think about whether you want a car at all, and if so, which one, and then look for the best deal on it. If your friend's car happens to fall within the parameters of what you, independently, considered yourself to want, then you know what you need to compare it to. I've bought a car off a friend just "because" - sometimes it's easier. But it's not always smart.

I'm thinking this because the watches you listed are pretty different. I think you're better off putting them all aside, thinking deeply on what sized gap you're looking to fill, then seeking it out - maybe even setting some specifications out here and then asking for suggestions. And when you settle on one, Stitchy will find it and sell it to you. :)

16. oneeightyseven

hey! sorry to bother, but what is the name of that JLC?

Before I made my appointment at Royal de Versailles I had something like that in mind. I like the simplicity of it, but the only one they had that was similar was the Master Calendar (it had numbers and a lot more going on).

I found a picture of another model that I liked but I am unable to find it on the JLC site also.

[​IMG]

17. mimo

mimo Senior member

Master Ultra-Thin Moon

Master Calendar

1 person likes this.
  18. oneeightyseven

I think you are right and I may be just jumping the gun because I saw a deal at a good price. I may be settling a bit because it isn't the exact model I have always wanted. In terms of watches though, I'm fairly certain I want a JLC (something on the simpler side). I guess the Master Grande Ultra Thin fit those parameters which is why I got excited about it, but it wasn't the ideal fit.

Something along the lines of what I have always envisioned myself getting was what wurger posted, but I was never able to find it (both online or in person).

I also think the gold rolex was thrown in there because I was seduced by my sister's bf's watch and it looked so great. Realistically, I don't know if it would suit my lifestyle simply because it is somewhat flashy and may send the wrong message.

19. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I'm quite familiar with cars and work that must be done with a certain amount of mileage or age. With watches there isn't specifically something that gets done the way you would replace X on a car at 80,000 KM. However, after a certain number of years, depending on the watch and if its running well, some people say it should be serviced every 3-5 years others say 5-7 years. Others disagree and say wait until it stops working or isn't telling time properly. At that point the watch is opened, movement disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and lubricated, and some people have the cases/bracelets polished...others prefer not to.

Maybe I missed it in your writing, but is this some sort of present? You say you feel badly about your family paying for this. If this gift is too pricey, or your don't feel good about them buying it, perhaps you should wait and buy one on your own at a later date? Yes, pre-owned from a private person there is a savings over new from an AD or a gray market dealer. However, you aren't getting a new watch, condition could be outstanding, but maybe not. It has no warranty if it stops running for some reason. You have little recourse if there is a problem and its a private sale of a used watch. There is nothing wrong with buying pre-owned from a private party, but there are risks involved so you need to be certain you know the seller has a great reputation and is selling you the real product for a fair price...(particularly, there are lots of fake Rolex watches out there some of the more accurate fakes even use some real Rolex parts from old watches). Be careful and if in doubt, or you don't really know what to look for in terms of authenticity stick with a reputable store be it new or pre-owned. Saving money is one thing, but the seller is very important. If you spend $5,000 and end up with a fake or a "Franken-watch" cobbled from some used parts...then you really haven't saved anything.

20. mimo

mimo Senior member

The MUT Moon is much loved in this thread. I tried one on a while back and can only say that the love seems eminently justified. I didn't like the Grand Ultra Thin as much as I'd expected: love the small seconds, simple markers, conceptually it's perfect. And yet in person it just didn't have a lot of personality to me. The MUT moon, though, is all elegance. Pretty enough to eat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.