• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Derek, that's all I needed to cool my enthusiasm, thank you. Haha, just kidding....kind of.
tongue.gif
youll come around...give in...thank me later. ;)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i sure did.

wait, what are we talking about again?

Devoti

Reaction score
Can I take the temperature of the forum on the JLC Memovox?

I know it gets brought up from time to time, but more recently when talking about the heritage of a specific design/complication, it seems to fit into that discussion with a history that goes back a fair amount more than the rest of the Master Control line (if I've done my reading correctly).

Does this make it any more or less desirable..

Is the alarm an annoyance or any less/more obtrusive than any other complication?

Still think I'm leaning Reverso when the time comes.. But still open minded.
Coldcava: I say totally go it, all of the Memovox's are a very cool & timeless watches. The new JLC Memovox tribute to the deep sea model (European version as shown above) is simply beautiful, if you can find one. I think the alarm is great.

It's probably the nicest re-issue I've ever seen. The older orig. dress memovox's are equally as beautiful. A true watch collection isn't complete without a Memovox. You have very good taste.

Please post a pic once you get it. Cheers

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Geographic (and World), the Home Time, the Grand Ultra Thin, and many others.  

No shout out for the MUT Moon :)

Also, I am with Devoti... A watch collection should have a Memovox or variation thereof.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno. I had a Master Reveil back in the day. The novelty of a mechanical alarm wore off quickly. Plus it wasn't even a very good alarm - soft and muted in volume and tone while on the wrist and only a bit better off the wrist. Didn't keep it long. Would not repeat.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all this talk of alarm watches, I thought I'd mention that the Cricket has been great to wear so far...

I like it more than I expected to. The way the movement operates is quite clever, it has some legit history as a record-depth-setting watch from back in the days when they were essential pieces of diver's kit. The alarm function is kinda neat and definitely doesn't suffer from a lack of sound volume, but it's one area of the horology thing that I'm fine with conceding to the mobile phone.

Last edited:

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Booyah.

Not a Memovox.

If only I could get over my aversion to plexi.. That Polaris would check all the boxes for me.. Beauty. Hey, at least it wouldn't SHATTER right?

Word. The strap sickness alone is reason enough to stay away.:D

RN, I haven't actually, but in a way I like the look of them more.  Might go kick tyres at the Pan shop tomorrow...the guy there is bored enough not to mind!  The only thing is I like that you can change the strap easily on the Luminor, and all that custom business.

Stich, but that is quite pretty indeed....stupid strap though.

Coldcava

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.. I love some of the variations shown with the Memovox/deep sea tribute, and the black faced version.. I probably should have specified that I'm looking to fill a void of a dress watch in my possession. So while those area beauty's - I'd probably be going for something along the lines of what Roger posted above..

That said.. I'll need to see them in person, but leaning Grand Taille. Thanks for the discussion of the Memovox.. I know it's nothing comparable, but when I was killing time, I had the folks at Harry Winston show me some watches (this might be 2 years ago), and they pulled out a minute repeater. It made an impression. (as any six figure watch might) I never quite understood what the appeal was of the minute repeater, and now at least I've seen the light.

Having not seen or heard the Memovox in person, and while I don't expect anything as dramatic, the idea of a mechanical watch alarm in a fine wristwatch has its appeal.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Even the re issues are way out of my price range.
i know. :(
I dunno. I had a Master Reveil back in the day. The novelty of a mechanical alarm wore off quickly. Plus it wasn't even a very good alarm - soft and muted in volume and tone while on the wrist and only a bit better off the wrist. Didn't keep it long. Would not repeat.
as i understand, its more of a reminder alarm than a wake you up alarm. i like the deep sea ones far more than the master reveil though. no hate.
If only I could get over my aversion to plexi.. That Polaris would check all the boxes for me.. Beauty. Hey, at least it wouldn't SHATTER right?
lol, that watch perfect as far as im concerned.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine is a photographer at an event in Las Vegas right now and sent me this pic of a model and her JLC Master Compressor - Valentino Rossi #46.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stitch - Is the Polaris readily available?

off hand, these are still my faves of the memovox models, and both are watches i really would love to own one day.

[/quote]

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Devoti, Bro, you post too many pics of too many watches for too little reason in too short a time with too little comment. And posting Bell & Ross is a sin by itself, because that product is definitively and empirically the preserve of wankers. But apart from that, I like you. Keep 'em coming. Just...slow down. :) P.S. On a more positive note, after reading the last twenty pages or more of this thread, making a suggestion like "hey, why not buy a ceramic Bell & Ross?", certainly takes some nuts.
lol8%5B1%5D.gif
Generally not a B&R fan but I have to say that model in PVD is not bad. Not bad at all.

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ive loved every PAM ive owned...and thats a long list. 112, 113, 88,89, 231, 49, 217, 127, and the 196. overpriced, but fantastic watches. Im a huge panerai fanboi.

Same here, except my 236. Too heavy to wear for long periods of time. Loved the bracelet design though. I no longer have that one but still have my 170 bracelet. The Ti is much lighter and easier to wear. I've had a few too: 103, 112, 170, 190, 228, 251, 236, 288. Still have (and wear) most of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads