The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i am a big fan of the memovox. not for the function, i doubt id ever use it. but the mechanics are very interesting, and a lot of the models are great looking.

off hand, these are still my faves of the memovox models, and both are watches i really would love to own one day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  2. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Derek, that's all I needed to cool my enthusiasm, thank you. Haha, just kidding....kind of. [​IMG]

RN, I haven't actually, but in a way I like the look of them more. Might go kick tyres at the Pan shop tomorrow...the guy there is bored enough not to mind! The only thing is I like that you can change the strap easily on the Luminor, and all that custom business.

CC, what I forgot to add was that personally I really like a whole load of JLCs. The Geographic (and World), the Home Time, the Grand Ultra Thin, and many others. And if I were to buy one, it would probably be a simple Reverso Grande Taille at the very top of the list, simply because there's nothing like a Reverso made by anyone else, and for me that's the quintessential one. Every other watch they make probably has alternatives from other makers. As for the Memovox, it too is distinctive and I like it in itself, but it's not my first pick personally. Just others are prettier, which influences me more than most other criteria.

Stich, but that is quite pretty indeed....stupid strap though.

3. in stitches

they are effing gorgeous. its hurts how bad i want one now, after reading up on it again and looking at pics.

4. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

youll come around...give in...thank me later. ;)

5. in stitches

i sure did.

wait, what are we talking about again?

6. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

Coldcava: I say totally go it, all of the Memovox's are a very cool & timeless watches. The new JLC Memovox tribute to the deep sea model (European version as shown above) is simply beautiful, if you can find one. I think the alarm is great.
    [​IMG]

It's probably the nicest re-issue I've ever seen. The older orig. dress memovox's are equally as beautiful. A true watch collection isn't complete without a Memovox. You have very good taste.
    [​IMG]

Please post a pic once you get it. Cheers

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

No shout out for the MUT Moon :)

Also, I am with Devoti... A watch collection should have a Memovox or variation thereof.

8. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Even the re issues are way out of my price range.

9. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I dunno. I had a Master Reveil back in the day. The novelty of a mechanical alarm wore off quickly. Plus it wasn't even a very good alarm - soft and muted in volume and tone while on the wrist and only a bit better off the wrist. Didn't keep it long. Would not repeat.

[​IMG]

10. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

With all this talk of alarm watches, I thought I'd mention that the Cricket has been great to wear so far...

[​IMG]

I like it more than I expected to. The way the movement operates is quite clever, it has some legit history as a record-depth-setting watch from back in the days when they were essential pieces of diver's kit. The alarm function is kinda neat and definitely doesn't suffer from a lack of sound volume, but it's one area of the horology thing that I'm fine with conceding to the mobile phone.

11. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Booyah.

If only I could get over my aversion to plexi.. That Polaris would check all the boxes for me.. Beauty. Hey, at least it wouldn't SHATTER right?

Word. The strap sickness alone is reason enough to stay away.:D

12. Coldcava

Coldcava Senior member

Thanks for the comments.. I love some of the variations shown with the Memovox/deep sea tribute, and the black faced version.. I probably should have specified that I'm looking to fill a void of a dress watch in my possession. So while those area beauty's - I'd probably be going for something along the lines of what Roger posted above..

That said.. I'll need to see them in person, but leaning Grand Taille. Thanks for the discussion of the Memovox.. I know it's nothing comparable, but when I was killing time, I had the folks at Harry Winston show me some watches (this might be 2 years ago), and they pulled out a minute repeater. It made an impression. (as any six figure watch might) I never quite understood what the appeal was of the minute repeater, and now at least I've seen the light.

Having not seen or heard the Memovox in person, and while I don't expect anything as dramatic, the idea of a mechanical watch alarm in a fine wristwatch has its appeal.

13. in stitches

i know. :(
    as i understand, its more of a reminder alarm than a wake you up alarm. i like the deep sea ones far more than the master reveil though. no hate.
    lol, that watch perfect as far as im concerned.

14. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

Friend of mine is a photographer at an event in Las Vegas right now and sent me this pic of a model and her JLC Master Compressor - Valentino Rossi #46.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.