The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

Hahaha - I also loved that line where he pulls up behind the cop car. And explains why it's funny.

Yes! Look again. Then, look again.

In an Ah-nold accent!

2. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

Ok

But I have you disagree about B&R, they use to be in a nice watch co with nice movements, however I don't keep up with the what's in or out at GQ (but it's one reason why I don't wear my PAM, it's a poser watch, overplayed) and BR's boxed instrument watch are ridiculously cheesy. Recommending anything is better than that stupid RL67 $3k watch except for that rapper gangster watch 5 pages ago. The vintage 123 is not bad and maybe useful for the OP to see. I'm out

3. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Aww...it's only the internet, D. Which PAM do you have? There are quite a few owners here, and I'm becoming weirdly fascinated by them....

4. Coldcava

Coldcava Senior member

Can I take the temperature of the forum on the JLC Memovox?

I know it gets brought up from time to time, but more recently when talking about the heritage of a specific design/complication, it seems to fit into that discussion with a history that goes back a fair amount more than the rest of the Master Control line (if I've done my reading correctly).

Does this make it any more or less desirable..

Is the alarm an annoyance or any less/more obtrusive than any other complication?

Still think I'm leaning Reverso when the time comes.. But still open minded.

5. no frills

no frills Senior member

Of course you are!

[​IMG]

PAM332 "1950 regatta rattrapante" from one of mimo's favorite movies, "The Expendables."

6. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

CC: My unreliable and ill-informed opinion is that it's cool. A mechanical alarm these days strikes me (no pun intended!) as a delightful anachronism. Like you said, the "Memovox" has been around for decades in a very similar style, and I think it's distinctive and has integrity. I saw one in the local dealer the other day. I dig it. Like a poor man's minute repeater!

Frilly, you really don't know about my taste in movies..haha. And that's...er...not very me! Man, they're really doing a lot of good placement for their target audience, aren't they?! I'm still drawn to the base Luminor....although the other day I saw a platinum Radiomir and it's haunted me!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I really think that you cannot go wrong with either of them. The Reverso may have a longer history, and perhaps more illustrious, but the Memovox is one of the great watches of the 50s and 60s. I think that it is really dependent upon the type of watch you want, and whether a watch with an alarm appeals to you. Personally, I think an alarm complication is pretty darn cool and useful. However, the Reverso is a watch with an outstanding provenance.

When it comes to the JLC Master series or the Reverso series, you really, really cannot go wrong.

8. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Memovox are cool. I like them.

The alarm is slightly irritating though. It's really more a novelty than anything nowadays but many would call mechanical watches in general a novelty.
    You can really only set the alarm to about +/- 5 min of accuracy.
    You have to remember to keep the alarm ringer wound up.
    You have to remember to put the alarm crown in the correct position.
    The sudden buzzing on your wrist can startle the hell out of you.

Also, when the ringer is wound down and you're not using the alarm, moving your hand around will make a clicking noise near the time the alarm is set.

9. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Can I take the temperature of the forum on the JLC Memovox?
    I know it gets brought up from time to time, but more recently when talking about the heritage of a specific design/complication, it seems to fit into that discussion with a history that goes back a fair amount more than the rest of the Master Control line (if I've done my reading correctly).

Does this make it any more or less desirable..

Is the alarm an annoyance or any less/more obtrusive than any other complication?

Still think I'm leaning Reverso when the time comes.. But still open minded.[/quo
    uote]

I have looked at them from time to time when they come up but I know they would only partly satisfy my desire for the Memovox Deep Sea.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  10. no frills

no frills Senior member

I have absolutely no idea about your taste in movies... but I thought that picture might entertain you anyway! [​IMG]

11. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

The Memovox is awesome. I should've gotten this watch when I had the chance. Personally I find it more interesting than the (very elegant ) Reverso..
    Mimo, have you tried on the Rads? They sit very differently than the Luminors, and I kinda dig it.

12. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Bah. Here is a real watch.

[​IMG]

Took it outta the box and immediately swapped out the bracelet for my hornback, which looks a lot better on this than my Sub. The bracelet is quite nice, though.

13. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

As for Bell & Ross: it seems to be a rather contrived brand, like Haagen-Daaz. Their first watches were interesting, especially the quartz models like the Demineur and the multifunction dress models. Others were basically pricier versions of Sinn models. Sinn, B&R and Damasko seem to have had production source ties at one point. Now they seem to have gone crazy.

14. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

15. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

ive loved every PAM ive owned...and thats a long list. 112, 113, 88,89, 231, 49, 217, 127, and the 196. overpriced, but fantastic watches. Im a huge panerai fanboi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.