• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nope, didnt get to see him.
i think that the name positioning is unique enough that if someone knew it i could google and find the model.

the watch would definitely be higher up on the scale so i hope thats a start. im going to do some research as well!!

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RogerP

Very good point. And I definitely feel brittleness is a weakness in the ceramic technology. Yet most owners who own them I'd venture have NOT shattered their watches. However, when one does occasionally shatter, it's such a horrible end result that we all remember it.

I'd also bet these aren't trivial impacts either. The one PAM owner who shattered his ceramic Radiomir admits he was (duh) toying with the tang buckle, when it dropped on the floor.

True, metal would probably just ding, but in all honesty I'm sure these ceramic watches would hold up well to most everyday usage. Bar any fall onto a hard surfaces or sudden forceful impact onto something hard, I'd bet most of us here on the forum who have some semblance of how to treat a watch would be fine.

True, a lot of them are advertised as sports watches, and hopefully most by now understand they have their limitations. But it's definitely not for everyone. Shock-junkies should probably look somewhere else.

Treat it as well as any watch you cherish, and you'd be just fine.

Treat it like a g-shock? Nope. It's no beater for sure.

just my opinion. Personally I'm a fan. Admittedly I don't own one yet, but I do foresee one in the future. Unless my Deepsea hankering gets the best of me this time.

Difference is this.  You wrap any car around a pole, from a Ford to a Ferrari, and that will be the result.  You drop any watch, they don't all shatter like a china plate.  Just the ceramic ones.  I'm pretty careful with my watches - but I can't say I've never dropped one.  And most of the watches with ceramic cases tend to be "sports" watches - theoretically more exposed to the risk of impact than, say a delicate dress watch.  Ceramic has its advantages to be sure.  But it also has some not insignificant disadvantages.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody else really love the new RL67 chronometer? At $3k I almost pulled the trigger yesterday. It's 44.5mm but wears easy. Big numbers are easy to read, but no lumes, which surprised me a little. Richemont movement, and the aged steel just looks awesome on a military watch.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Look it's a Honda Accord.

More like Honda According TO ARNOLD SHOULD GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!

Devoti

Reaction score
Anybody else really love the new RL67 chronometer? At $3k I almost pulled the trigger yesterday. It's 44.5mm but wears easy. Big numbers are easy to read, but no lumes, which surprised me a little. Richemont movement, and the aged steel just looks awesome on a military watch.

IMHO I would keep looking. I don't think you'll get much appreciated value out this watch compared to other less known but better watchmakers. In the past RL were using known movements made by Richemont Group with this model they are purchasing no name movements. For $3+k you can buy a second hand IWC pilot watch and get a beautiful [FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif]timeless watch that won't lose it's value or looks. There's a lot of watches similar to this one at that price that should be a better investment and one with more history and caliber.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif]I can see why you like, a bit too big for me as my regular watch and don't worry about no lumens, some of the most collectable and desired watches have no lumens (or worn out). RL is just trying to give the look of other watches collectable watches[/FONT] (mil., pilot) from the past with a little modern twist to it.

Good luck

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that Devoti has played good cop, I shall play bad cop.

Designer label watches are ridiculous. A Seiko 5 bought on clearance for $75 would have more integrity.

I won't even comment on the appearance of the piece apart from noting that no wristwatch actually worn in a military environment would resemble that in any way.

I don't see how they can call it a chronometer either. The biggest crime, of course, it's the price.

If you want a weekend watch with a bronze finish, you could try Helson:

http://www.helsonwatch.com/gauge.php

It has a similar whimsical look, better technical features, probably better workmanship, 2/3 of the price.

Devoti

Reaction score
Thanks Hayward, I was only aware of there skindiver model.

That's a pretty cool watch, I really like the bezel of the Guage although I think if I ever got in a fist fight, I would probably be quickly charged with using a deadly weapon with that thing strapped to my wrist.

There so many cool watches out there, one just has to put a little time into searching and asking. We have to remember we're on a clothing/style site and not one of the hardcore aficionado watch sites so I think it's totally understandable to ask such questions and help each other if we can. I'm rarely ever called the good cop.

PS>I wish there was a Shoe Appreciation thread like we have here for watches. The shoe threads on styleforum are all over the place but nothing central or has any traction (no punt intended).

Last edited:

Devoti

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this watch (Omega Chronostop)? I think I prefer the Dynamic

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
^^ It's interesting, but I'm not sure it's fundamentally attractive. It's more appealing for it's novelty that its looks, to me anyway.

Re. RL67: $3k my fat white arse.

- used IWC as suggested
- genuine WWII pilot watch from any number of makers
- Sinn
- Nomos
- two Stowas!

Devoti

Reaction score
^^ It's interesting, but I'm not sure it's fundamentally attractive. It's more appealing for it's novelty that its looks, to me anyway.

Re. RL67: $3k my fat white arse.

- used IWC as suggested
- genuine WWII pilot watch from any number of makers
- Sinn
- Nomos
- two Stowas!
Thanks mimo, I agree

Devoti

Reaction score
Maybe this could be another alternative, there sizing is similar, a well known brand and cheaper, don't ask about there box case.

Bell&Ross 123 PVD coated black case

Carbon version:

Or the Phantom version:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RogerP

Very good point. And I definitely feel brittleness is a weakness in the ceramic technology. Yet most owners who own them I'd venture have NOT shattered their watches. However, when one does occasionally shatter, it's such a horrible end result that we all remember it.

I'd also bet these aren't trivial impacts either. The one PAM owner who shattered his ceramic Radiomir admits he was (duh) toying with the tang buckle, when it dropped on the floor.

True, metal would probably just ding, but in all honesty I'm sure these ceramic watches would hold up well to most everyday usage. Bar any fall onto a hard surfaces or sudden forceful impact onto something hard, I'd bet most of us here on the forum who have some semblance of how to treat a watch would be fine.

True, a lot of them are advertised as sports watches, and hopefully most by now understand they have their limitations. But it's definitely not for everyone. Shock-junkies should probably look somewhere else.

Treat it as well as any watch you cherish, and you'd be just fine.

Treat it like a g-shock? Nope. It's no beater for sure.

just my opinion. Personally I'm a fan. Admittedly I don't own one yet, but I do foresee one in the future. Unless my Deepsea hankering gets the best of me this time.

Agreed with all of that. Have you seen the new Omega DSOM - ceramic version of our Speedy 9300?

My cautionary approach to ceramic is caused in large part by my experience as a custom knife collector and maker. Ceramic blades have seen increased popularity of late. They don't scratch, don't rust and stay sharp just this side of forever. All sunshine and rainbows until, you drop one and have it shatter. Or get it stuck in bone or cartilage while dressing out a deer, try to wiggle it free and have it snap like a toothpick. Properly heat-treated steel is virtually indestructible by comparison.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Devoti,

Bro, you post too many pics of too many watches for too little reason in too short a time with too little comment. And posting Bell & Ross is a sin by itself, because that product is definitively and empirically the preserve of wankers.

But apart from that, I like you. Keep 'em coming. Just...slow down. :)

P.S. On a more positive note, after reading the last twenty pages or more of this thread, making a suggestion like "hey, why not buy a ceramic Bell & Ross?", certainly takes some nuts.
lol8[1].gif

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a couple of threads in another watch-related forum discussing the merits (or lack of it) of Patek Philippe cufflinks. Now, I am a big Patek Philippe fan - for their watches. I cannot see myself spending $4,000 to $5,000 on a pair of PP-crafted cufflinks. Just can't. Can I distinguish much better craftsmanship in PP cufflinks versus others made in similar precious metals? No, really hard for me to say. Same reasoning above re: paying a premium for a timepiece that does not seem to be substantially different from cheaper ones.

Now, I may just be ignorant about the true merits of Patek Philippe cufflinks. If so, I am always open to learning new things.

I mean, I really have no say in the matter if you want to spend your hard-earned money for a pair of diamond-encrusted Nautilus cufflinks that compliment your 5712, like in the picture below (from PuristSPro).......

But, it's just not for me.

These $125 cufflinks actually fascinate me a bit more, especially since the movement actually works (I believe), if you wind the "crown":

fistbump.gif
Hi Frills, with the exception of their diamond versions of cufflinks, when one considers the price of gold and then compares it with the price of gold cufflinks from Cartier, Chopard, Piaget and a few other well known companies, they really in the same ball park. Places like Cellini have trays of some private label cufflinks, but with the price of gold being what it is, some of theirs are not that much less than cufflinks from better known companies.

I have seen the watch movement cufflinks in person. You can even find them with real vintage movements from Hamilton and Gruen. However, there is a big difference in the construction (not just matterial, say gold versus non-gold). Go in an look at a set of Patek Calatrava gold links, and look at its post and the flexible swiveling section. The ones pictured above are very flimsy. I picked up a set of sterling silver ones in college with the same back and posts, the the swivel mechanism wears out quickly and just spins. Also, on ones from say Cartier or Chopard, they have much more finished backs, sometimes even a smaller but matching back to the cufflinks. They cost more, but are built to last. I can understand if its not your thing, and sure 4-5K is nothing to sneeze at but if you really compared a bunch of cufflinks from Cartier, Chopard, Patek, etc... with novelty cufflinks you will notice some big differences in construction.

Below are a few pix of some Cartier links I have. These are quite useful as they are white, yellow and rose gold and I can change the colors of the bars (which are semi precious stones).

Interchangeable bars for these links.

Another set with matching backs

That sort of cross branding is a sure sign of loss of focus.
Sorry, but I have to disagree. Many watch companies make cufflinks to go with their watches. Not sure I see it as any different than Patek, VC, etc making deployant buckles with their insignias, rather than plain tang buckles to enhance the appearance of the watch or to give a more complete look. Matching cufflinks is hardly any more of a diversion of effort or focus.
i quite like the PP, AP and breguet cufflinks, i have seen.

id have to be balling pretty hard to get them, but if i was, i would.
+1

fistbump.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads