1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

Unfortunately they upsized the GO chrono to 44mm, which is out of my ball park.

Did try the Transocean (which demonstrates how you do that date window between 4 & 5 a bit better IMO) at 43mm and felt even that was pushing it. Great looks, but it's a chunker.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  2. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Of the two you originally posted, Omega Male, I would give a slight nod to the JLC, as I don't particularly mind that date window size or placement, and you get the full "in-house" treatment vs. modified from IWC in this case. They are both VERY nice, really great timepieces from well-respected brands......however IMO, could be improved with two inappreciable changes: add blued hour and minute hands on the Jaeger, and remove the chopped off 12 and 6 on the Port. But hey, as always, I was not consulted by the esteemed watch designers from either of these esteemed manufacturers. Neither of those small details may bother you personally. The Breitling is also nice but that panda look would make me wish I had a Daytona....and really both of those seem more like sports pieces anyway, compared to the JLC and IWC. ( Watches: where nit-picking becomes an art form. :) )

3. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

QFT.

[​IMG]

4. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I was going to suggest that Breitling, but it has the same date position as the JLC you mentioned.. Both handsome watches. Agree, wish JLC had more blue on the hands of that model.

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

I do use lenses hahaha!

My beater watch. :lol: It's not that I think a lot of this but around here having a nice watch could be worth loosing your wrist haha well not to that point but sometimes I have to move around some places that I don't know and are dangerous so I take my other watches to the meeting but whe I drive I put that one in my jacket and put this one on.

This one my dad gave it to me and he got it from Amazon so it is really cheap. Around here watches are very expensive, this one costs around $10,000 pesos so it justifiable for thieves to still take it from you. :(

On a side note. I know that you are not huge fans of Tag but the Carrera Calibre 16 is awesome! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. SF96136

SF96136 Member

Hello gents! Long time lurker and enjoyer of your discussions. Since I'm also hunting for chrono, what are your opinions of the new El Primero 410?

[​IMG]

It's been upsized from 38mm to 42mm (which I'm not sure would look right on my small wrist), but the extra room affords a better layout for non-overlapping subdials, uninterrupted chapter ring and hour indices, and triple date/moonphase.

7. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

This is what I would get for that price tag: [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ damn it ... I used to have one of those!

9. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Chono, white face, blue hands, leather stap - meet my latest acquisition: [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Looks really nice; on the market right now for that price tag. Lots of character; better investment than a timex.

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I'd have to see that one in person. Usually a movement when a chrono movement from a smaller case gets moved to larger case, everything shifts toward the middle. Some watches its more obvious than others. I find the dial a bit busy, especially with the tachymeter then another group of numbers inset from that, and then you finally get to minute markers and seconds. Clearly, its to take up space on the dial, since they bumped up the size. I also do not care for the outlines around the day, date, and month. Maybe it would look better in person, but they have other designs I'd rather have than this piece.

12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Congrats on a great find. These are very under appreciated but great watches!

13. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i quite like that zenith.

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:That's pretty sweet. 42mm is about the upper limit for an ElPrimero-powered watch - the subdials begin to look far too scrunched in toward the center beyond that size. You're not going to find a lot of contemporary men's chronograhs in the 38mm case size these days, though some no doubt exist. I like this one a bunch, but I would have no hope of making use of the triple date without the aid of reading glasses, so I would (and did) choose a model with just the chronogrpaph / single date only.

15. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Just catching up after a couple days...

Ahhhh...the MM300. One of my biggest watch regrets. I should have held on to mine.

16. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Do it! [​IMG]
    Love this.

2 people like this.
  17. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

please stop that TC, it hurts me so. ;)

18. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

+1

19. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Oh go on then +2

20. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

No more!!! If we do TC will stop posting his RO. It just hurts so good!!!

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.