The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

People saying Panerai are overpriced baffle me. Expensive? Sure. Hard to call something overpriced when they continue to sell extremely well even at those "higher" prices. In fact they still continue to be one of the few watch brands that hold their value extremely well in the secondary market.

They would be overpriced if people weren't buying them. But since they sell well I would say they're priced exactly where OP intended.

2. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Lots of people can afford foolishness. Nothing necessarily wrong or unethical about foolishness, up to the point where it claims to be something else.

It makes absolutely no sense to make a watch case from ceramics. Bezels and crystals are likely to encounter abrasion before impact, so that's where you use the harder, more potentially brittle materials. The complete opposite is true of a watch case, particularly one meant for extraordinary environments. You would think that a company that specializes in making such watches would know this.

Of course that may all go out the window if we're talking some sort of ceramic composite, like in the Zenith EP Flyback Stratos or JLC Deep Sea Chron. Then it becomes understandable because it represents an effort to get the best of both worlds, even if it's an unproven one. But all the same they don't appeal to me, and it takes away from the luxury angle as well.

So are Paneristi grateful that the company finally deigned to make a base model that actually includes a sweep hand?

They just look silly. Perhaps not as silly as the Bell & Ross instrument watches, but silly nonetheless.

3. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Call me boring, but this impresses me. It's the sort of watch I'd take over others if forced to own only one. I'd prefer a Thunderbird but this is close enough. An understated purposeful look that fits with any occasion and highly useful. A countdown bezel would be even more useful.

4. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

If its the sort of thing that they've done customarily due to regular requests from customers, I can see it. To extend the analogy, take for instance the Aston Cygnet:

[​IMG]

As a separate product it's ridiculous. But since its only sold to those who've already purchased an Aston GT car it kind of makes sense. Take the DBS back to the manor on the weekends, putt around the city from your pied a terre in the Cygnet. And since Newport Pagnell is already focused on GT car production badge engineering with Aston interior features continues to make sense.

But otherwise, not really.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

if you mean panerai in general, then they may look silly to you, but a great many think they look fantastic.

6. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

I think I digressed in my earlier post so how about some watch appreciation?

This is a watch that I wished I didn't let pass through my hands. It's not fancy, it's not new, it's not expensive but I really like it and hard to find. I think a nice Horween leather or a Hodinkee strap would look good with it.
    [​IMG]

Hodinkee strap:
    [​IMG]

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Devoti, you got some real cool watches in your collection.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

8. ant702

ant702 Senior member

I have thought this, but couldn't put it as nice, thank you!

9. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

10. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

Thanks, sadly I don't own the watch but came across one in a shop in my travels about two years ago. I grew up sailing and always loved this type of watch, it's the only kind of chronograph that I like aside from old mil. Lemania's.
    I had the watch in my hands for a long time at the shop and it was mine to buy, it wasn't expensive but for some reason I passed on it which I now really regret, I called the shop later on but it soon sold after I had the chance. I think it needed servicing or something which scared me away but in hind site that's not a big deal.

Here's a thread/pics of similar regatta watches (google translated), now this is a very impressive private collection if your into these type of vintage watches:
    http://translate.google.com/transla...it-s-yachting-time-again&client=safari&rls=en

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

The previous page of posts is excellent in its entirety. I love this thread, I really do. It's almost embarrassing.

12. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

Lemania's are some of my favorite chronographs; the mother of wristwatch chronograph movements;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013

13. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

Then you have the IWC Portuguese
    [​IMG]

&

Patek Philippe
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Those Lemania chronographs are just great. That really gives me the vintage itch. I honestly just have no clue how to even go about acquiring something like that.

15. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

+1 They look brilliant but I worry about being out of my depth and taking stuff on trust. I'd hate to be told I've bought a Mickey Mouse piece of shit when I proudly post a picture n TWAT, and have to delete my account in shame. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.