The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I'd much rather own a Patek repeater personally.

The Urwerks and such might be interesting to look at, but once I've seen them I have no desire to actually own one.

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I can appreciate that ingenuity that went into designing such a watch. As DDDrees said its more of a novelty than anything else. There are lots of other watches that cost far less than that, which I would prefer to own.
    A friend of mine with a pretty good size watch collection 25-30 watches, has an Urwerk as he is big into Jumping Hour watches and watches that have a novel way of telling time. So I can understand why its in his collection, but I find them lumpy and weird looking.
    From a distance the tourbillon in it looks like a cat coughed up a hairball, a very expensive hairball, but still that's one JLC that doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather have a different JLC, or something from a different brand.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

3. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Nice

I need to get a Radiomir one of these days

4. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Thanks - great posts! :)

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

http://panerai.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-717/pi-5889558/ti-865153/s-0/

Just saw this on TPP. That is some serious watch damage! The owner was quoted a repair bill of $8,700! It really is kind of sad the type of end user service we are provided with these luxury gifts. Maybe I live in fantasy land, but service related woes seem all too common for what people spend on this hobby! This comment is of course not related to this incident entirely, but the industry as a whole.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

The Gyrotourbillon II is my fave of the series. It is one of my many JLC grail watches. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Awesome. Never mind grumpy old Dino's "hairball". I think it looks like the teleport machine Jodie Foster went in in "Contact". I like Jodie Foster, I like teleporting machines, and I like this. I could stare at that little thing for hours, whichever watch it happened to be in. I dig this one a lot though. ^^^

8. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

9. in stitches

@ mimo

:nodding:

i looked at that pic for about 5 minutes before and after posting it.

10. no frills

no frills Senior member

That's why my $1.2 million bid in absentia was ignored! Kidding.

Rereading this book by Stacy Perman about the creation of the Graves Supercomplication:

[​IMG]

Also provides a decent history behind watchmaking, the impact of the Great Depression and the rise of quartz and its effect on the mechanical watchmaking industry, etc. One claim is that by running a business based largely on individually commissioned super pieces (like the Patek pocket watch ChicagoRon photographed and shared with us), Patek was basically left vulnerable to the downturn from the Great Depression as they just weren't profitable enough through volume. That's when the Stern family snapped them up. By inference - at least the way the book is written - the era of "mass manufacture" (and today's stratospheric pricing decisions undertaken by PP and most other Swiss watchmakers) sustains profitability for companies like PP, allowing the Sterns to keep the company "in the family." For good or for ill for the end user.

Review from the NY Times for the book:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/05/books/review/a-grand-complication-by-stacy-perman.html

Personally I think the author uses a bit too many superlatives to describe how "awesome" specific pieces are, but it's a quick and fun read nonetheless.

11. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Perhaps they deserve it for buying a wristwatch made from such a fragile material. I don't get the who ceramic thing at all. It's not a precious metal or gemstone, and it's not a material that add technically to the watch design, so it's basically pointless. Somebody said to somebody else that ceramic would be cool to use, and damn the consequences.

I've held my peace up until now on Panerai. But the fact is they are overpriced for what they are, they started the whole idiotic giant watch trend, they look silly when being worn by anyone under 200 pounds. Nor am I particularly enamored by their history. Don't get me wrong, some of my best friends either own or covet Panerais. But every time I see one it impresses me as a product of sheer idiocy.

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Yeah, but what do you really think, [​IMG]

13. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

I've always loved the look of my panerai but it's too big for me and to be honest the watch (lack of better words) is being over played like a rolex sub-m. It seems like you'll never be a GQ man without wearing one.

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I actually would like a Panerai. Just a base PAM. And I understand your rationale in re the "if you buy ceramic, you know the consequences" spiel. My problem is that they are charging close to $9,000, the price of a new watch, for what is probably a piece of Ceramic that just came out of a CNC machine. I feel like luxury goods should have luxury end user service. And I have received such service for a lot of my luxury products. It just amazes me that as consumers, we put up with the god awful service that these watch companies offer us. Of course, a lot of this *is* anecdotal. I have not really had much experience yet.

I have heard horror stories about Omega, Rolex, etc., customer service, where the person has the watch returned to him or her months later in worse condition than it was sent. I just think it is kind of silly. But what can you do really, other than stop purchasing the goods?

In a similar vein, check this out:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I mean this is a $10,000 watch. And it is literally coming apart. How is that really acceptable ethically from the perspective of the watch company?

So I guess I do not really 'get' the "deserving it" argument.

15. in stitches

Panerai watches are awesome. Sure, they make duds like every brand, but on the whole they are fantastic. Haters gone hate, but lets not go overboard with dick comments.

I dont think they are any more over priced than any other luxury watch. Thats is the industry now. Entry level watches that used to be 3k are now 6-8k and up. Its just the reality.

I tjink there are some excellent uses of ceramic, but in some applicatins its just dumb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.