The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

And yet they did he "novelty" movement with SO MUCH more wearability than an Urwerk, IMO. I am as fascinated by the Urwerk movements as I am with disgusted by how ugly they are.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i have found the SA as Wempe to be very solid.

defo gonna need pics. look forward to seeing it.

lolthis

according to their site there are no boutiques in NY. :(

3. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

Axel,

Check out this cool map by Hodinkee with notes of watch stores in nyc: http://goo.gl/maps/pQwPy

Hopefully it's useful.

4. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

If I had to choose I much more prefer to have the Jaeger-LeCoultre Gyrotourbillon Three.
    HD vid at factory:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  5. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Wish I had 1000,00 to throw away! Unique, probably not much sense in wearing it though, more for a museum[​IMG]

6. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I'd much rather own a Patek repeater personally.

The Urwerks and such might be interesting to look at, but once I've seen them I have no desire to actually own one.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I can appreciate that ingenuity that went into designing such a watch. As DDDrees said its more of a novelty than anything else. There are lots of other watches that cost far less than that, which I would prefer to own.
    A friend of mine with a pretty good size watch collection 25-30 watches, has an Urwerk as he is big into Jumping Hour watches and watches that have a novel way of telling time. So I can understand why its in his collection, but I find them lumpy and weird looking.
    From a distance the tourbillon in it looks like a cat coughed up a hairball, a very expensive hairball, but still that's one JLC that doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather have a different JLC, or something from a different brand.

8. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Nice

I need to get a Radiomir one of these days

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Thanks - great posts! :)

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

http://panerai.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-717/pi-5889558/ti-865153/s-0/

Just saw this on TPP. That is some serious watch damage! The owner was quoted a repair bill of $8,700! It really is kind of sad the type of end user service we are provided with these luxury gifts. Maybe I live in fantasy land, but service related woes seem all too common for what people spend on this hobby! This comment is of course not related to this incident entirely, but the industry as a whole.

11. in stitches

The Gyrotourbillon II is my fave of the series. It is one of my many JLC grail watches. [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Awesome. Never mind grumpy old Dino's "hairball". I think it looks like the teleport machine Jodie Foster went in in "Contact". I like Jodie Foster, I like teleporting machines, and I like this. I could stare at that little thing for hours, whichever watch it happened to be in. I dig this one a lot though. ^^^

13. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

14. in stitches

@ mimo

:nodding:

i looked at that pic for about 5 minutes before and after posting it.

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

That's why my $1.2 million bid in absentia was ignored! Kidding.

Rereading this book by Stacy Perman about the creation of the Graves Supercomplication:

[​IMG]

Also provides a decent history behind watchmaking, the impact of the Great Depression and the rise of quartz and its effect on the mechanical watchmaking industry, etc. One claim is that by running a business based largely on individually commissioned super pieces (like the Patek pocket watch ChicagoRon photographed and shared with us), Patek was basically left vulnerable to the downturn from the Great Depression as they just weren't profitable enough through volume. That's when the Stern family snapped them up. By inference - at least the way the book is written - the era of "mass manufacture" (and today's stratospheric pricing decisions undertaken by PP and most other Swiss watchmakers) sustains profitability for companies like PP, allowing the Sterns to keep the company "in the family." For good or for ill for the end user.

Review from the NY Times for the book:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/05/books/review/a-grand-complication-by-stacy-perman.html

Personally I think the author uses a bit too many superlatives to describe how "awesome" specific pieces are, but it's a quick and fun read nonetheless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.