The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Of the original suggestions, that was far and away my top pick. Nomos seems to make a lot of watch for the money IMHO, and if their top, in-house, unique complication is still $5k, it seems like a great deal to me.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

rolex DJ all steel 36mm MSRP: 6600 - 6700 (depending on bracelet). ADs are "officially" not allowed to discount all steel models even byby a penny. i think that will be a VERY hard find under 6k, let alone around 5k.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Frills, thanks for your kind words. The movement was a huge selling point for me on this version of the Tank XL.

You are correct, the photo was taken just after I purchased it. I have not had my sweat glands removed yet, but maybe I'll do it before my next watch purchase [​IMG]

Mimo, I don't think Newcomer is going to find a new Rolex Datejust for $5,000 and AD's in NYC will not discount a new Rolex. Otherwise I would have suggested that as a possibility. Remember, he said it has to be new.

As for the Tank XL being effeminate in any way, I respectfully disagree. I will give try to be understanding of the fact that you are only looking at pix, and most likely have not tried one on. The old sizes might have seemed too small for a modern man, but is also the general consensus that of lots of smaller watches such as 36mm ROs, 36mm Nautiluses, and 34mm IWC Ingeniuers of the 1980s are too small for most men today.

IMHO, the Tank is quite simply the most iconic rectangular watch and a timeless classic that men have worn since its inception nearly 100 years ago. Even its inspiration, tank treads of tanks used in WW1, is a pretty macho. Its beauty and versatility stem from the simplicity of its design. It contains nothing more and nothing less than is necessary. To me its a watch that is perfectly balanced so that it can easily be worn with a suit or sweater and jeans (which is something that many other dress watches just don't transition to quite so well). I personally like the use of the rose gold with blued hands on a silver dial. It adds some warmth without being as brassy as yellow gold, and seems a bit more understated than yellow gold.

In addition, I just don't think case metal makes a watch more or less masculine. I don't see a Calatrava or Patrimony as being more or less effeminate in YG or RG vs. WG or PT. Nor do I feel that way about any other watch cases. However, there are and have been Tanks in white metals if that is an issue for a buyer.

While I respect your opinion...with regard to the Tank XL...I say off with your head!!! [​IMG]

Newcomer, I suggest trying on a Tank and then making a decision. I don't think I've ever heard anyone beside Mimo accuse Tanks of being feminine. I have some collector friends that will only buy round watches. They find rectangular watches, just are not to their taste no matter what the style or maker, be it JLC, Lange, PP, AP, Piaget, VC etc. I think the Tank will give some added variety to a collection if all of your watches are currently round cases. Its really a watch you could own for decades that will look as good now as it will decades down the road.

As for a new Datejust...I don't think you can get a NEW one for $5,000. You could certainly throw some money in toward a DJ, and if you are willing to open your budget a bit, maybe you should let us know by how much as it may give you more options.

Although, on the other hand, maybe it doesn't send the right message to your parents if what they are willing to spend on your graduation gift is not enough. Just a thought.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013

4. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I'll get my coat.

[​IMG]

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1

In addition, even before Rolex got really strict on discounting, AD's in NYC were/are particularly famous for not giving any discount on steel Rolex watches. So if the purchase has to happen in NYC you won't be anywhere near the $5K mark on a new one.

6. in stitches

besides rolexes rules, they have no need to discount. int not fartsville montana. they have no problem moving product at full retail.

also, +1 to getting rid of wrist sweat glands. and +1 that tank is not femme. its all kinds of awesome and the movement is amazing.

7. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

certainly not an exact science, but the tank solo sat beautifully on my wrist when I went AD shopping last autumn

I do believe me and Newcomer have similar wrist size, and the side by side with the SMP should be useful

8. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

It's nice. In steel, on a strap. :)

9. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

Wempe will be the one place to stock it in NYC. If they have one in - they get one every few weeks or so, but they tend to fly out the door rather quickly. At 39.9mm, being used to 36mm watches, it was by and large too big for me, unfortunately.

10. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Cylon - that Reverso looks great on you.

Steel Rolexes sell like Google stock and I can't imagine any AD's in NY will discount. that doesn't mean you can't find ANY discounts though - just probably won't be in NY proper.

My wife loves her Datejust. It's a mens steel, that we picked up in Cayman years back. Classic indeed.

for $5k - hmmm, the things I could do. But I don't think my tastes would suit you at all.. Good luck with your decision.

Btw - for guys, I prefer the AT over the DJ by a vast margin.

R

11. in stitches

+1
    --

even in bmore, as a favor from AD connects i have, i pretty much cant get a penny off of steel rolexes.

12. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Hey now dont tempt me!

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1 on that Reverso

Yes, but even if he can find a small discount on a $6,600 Datejust, its still not going to bring it down to $5K, so he would have to be willing to add some $$.
    Sorry but I have to add to the temptation...that Reverso did look fantastic on you! Definitely one of my favorite Reverso models. Every time I see one like that I say to myself I have to add one to my collection some day.

14. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I had an excellent chat with one of the leading secondary market sellers yesterday. One thing he mentioned is that the dealer margin for many high end watch brands has withered away to a mere 30%. This has dovetailed with the move to branded boutiques. Combine this with increasing crackdowns on state and local sales tax evasion, it's going to be very difficult to get any deal from an AD, unless they are stuck with stock and need cash ASAP. And at that point they'd rather do a bulk sale. That benefits the secondary market.

15. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Why not Speedy? Great for under $5k.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.