• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What's wrong with a manual wind movement? Having only autos would be boring IMO.

this. played a strong factor in my panny choice. also, especially with an exhibition back, its nice to have both with and without rotor.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Whoa! I have become "adjectivified" (I think, if I remember my "grammer" correctly). What an honor. Wait. Imeldific is an "adjectivified" term too....
baldy%5B1%5D.gif

You are IM of PP perpetuals! The temptation to address you as "Imelda" from now on, is almost irresistible!

scott - great pic.

you guys are really making me desire an ultra thin dress watch.
+!

Long desired, recently acquired. I'm thinking of swapping the band for a brown one since it's too big anyway, and the brown may look nicer with the blue dial.

Funny, I was looking at Nomos after a mention on here a couple of weeks ago, and picked out that exact model and colour as my object of desire. Congratulations and enjoy - I'm quite envious! But I'd leave the black cordovan strap; it looks awesome.

Last edited:

suaviter

Reaction score
And the Tank Solo looks great on my wrist.

Unless something strikes you more when shopping ... I'd go with the Tank. I've always been smitten with them when I see them in the flesh. There's just something about classic about them.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately new is the only option available here. I know my parents want to buy something with me. And the Tank Solo looks great on my wrist.

And yeah, the Reverso thought has definitely crossed my mind. Maybe the new ultra thin... Mmmmmm. A lot to think about for sure.
Much like Cylon said, I really like the Reverso because of its history. Most models don't sit on my wrist as well as a Tank, but its just such a special watch that I have to have one someday.

The Tank Solo, is a great option. It will fit well within your parents' budget, its an iconic design, yet its very understated and can easily be worn for any occasion. I picked up a Tank in 2008 and its one of my favorite watches. It looks great with a suit, and it still works well with a sweater and jeans. In addition, if most of your watches are or have been round, its a nice change of pace to have something rectangular. I may be a bit biased
wink.gif

Not the exact model, but some Tank P0rn for you to ponder.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i really really like that cartier.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The nicest Carrier I have seen as well. You can post pictures of it whenever you want Dino.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The nicest Cartier I have seen as well. You can post pictures of it whenever you want Dino.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The nicest Cartier I have seen as well. You can post pictures of it whenever you want Dino.

;)

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i really really like that cartier.

Frankly its the nicest cartier ive seen.

The nicest Carrier I have seen as well. You can post pictures of it whenever you want Dino.

wink.gif
Thanks Gents. Glad you enjoyed the photos. It was part of their Privee Collection. They only made 200 in rose gold and 50 in platinum. Stitchy...I guess its twice as nice!

Now for some peer pressure...come on Newcomer...you know you want a Tank!!! Just kidding, wishing you luck on whatever you decide.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, it looks like another watch is in my near future. For my graduation present, the folks and I are going to go to New York, and pick out a watch (among other things of course). The budget is ~$5,000, although preferably lower. I might be willing to supplement, but not much. The hitch is of course having to buy in New York!

Things I have thought of: Cartier Tank Solo with an engraving maybe from JC Randall? IWC Ingenieur? Omega AT? Nomos Weltzeit? I am thinking more along the lines of a dressier day to day watch.

My favorite from your list. I almost bought one of these before discovering OuJ.

PartagasIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dino, is your privee model case equivalent to the 'current' large Tank solo? Extra large? It looks phenomenal, now I want a Tank.

From Cartier's site, the current large is 31 mm x 40.85 mm x 7.65 mm thick.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that omega is sweet. newcomer, you need to get all three. omega, IWC and cartier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads