• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need a NATO strap for a sport Omega, could someone point me in the right direction. There are a ton of cheap imitations lurking around, where do you go for the good stuff? Many thanks, R.

I am interested in this also. Does anyone have recommendations?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am interested in this also. Does anyone have recommendations?

Not sure what the OP was after - there are no "real" or "imitation" NATOs, just differing standards of quality, like any other strap.

I can tell you what you want to look for in a NATO:

- quality steel hardware
- low profile hardware - so they're not swinging in the breeze and catching on things
- thicker fabric - thicker is better this time
- well finished edges, well made/finished tang holes
- and don't confuse NATO with ZULU straps! (Google this)

...and other things to consider include:

- small/tight vs bigger/looser weaves - will affect appearance and to a degree softness + durability (looser weaves are nicer to look at and more comfortable IMO, but don't do so well around the tang holes if not finished properly - they fray)
- brushed vs polished hardware
- stitched vs heat/ultrasonic welded - never had issues with either, mostly a looks thing I suspect
- length of the strap, length of the "doubled up" bit that goes under your watch, position of the "doubled up" bit - will affect how/where the watch sits on your wrist, and where the buckle sits... if you have a smaller wrist a longer NATO will look ridiculous with the buckle halfway up the side of your wrist instead of being at the bottom

I've had good luck with Maratac and Timefactors straps. Member Singular is a NATO seller as well, and the straps I've purchased from him are serviceable. Time Traveller sells an unusual kangaroo tail NATO which has IMO the nicest texture for a leather NATO.

Once in a while unusual "woven"/"braided" NATOs come up on eBay or from other vendors, and I snap them up when I see them because IMO they are the most comfortable and best looking NATOs... they usually only come in black though.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think that PP is ugly as sin. the previous model sky moon tourbillon was lovely.

Last edited:

NonServiam

Reaction score
Situation report from last night: Sipping champagne, cooking birthday dinner for my better half, enjoying my nipple dialled Sub, taking cheesy pictures of it all.

1-DSC_6243_zps08575bfa.jpg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patek Philippe just unveiled the "most complicated wristwatch in the world" a few hours ago, the 6002:

Hodinkee blog post here:

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/introducing-the-patek-philippe-sky-moon-tourbillon-6002g

I think it's a work of art. Can I ever see myself wearing it on my wrist, even if I could afford it? No. Thoughts?
Sorry, but I'm just not very impressed with what to me appears to be modified Sky Moon Tourbillon. Also the engraving all over the watch looks very cheesy and over stylized. When something is so complicated I don't need the case to be over the top and tacky (actually I don't need anything that is tacky). I'm sure someone will buy it as their are enough crazy collectors out there that will want a 1 off or very limited production piece, but that watch wouldn't remotely interest me. I would rather have a few vintage Pateks that are probably less expensive but truly special and beautiful. Vintage Pateks were meant to be worn, now these modern very rare pieces are just intended for publicity and eventually end up in someones safe.
i think that PP is ugly as sin. the previous model sky moon tourbillon was lovely.

Spot on Stitchy!!!
fistbump.gif
IMHO, this was a far more elegant and wearable watch.
Situation report from last night: Sipping champagne, cooking birthday dinner for my better half, enjoying my nipple dialled Sub, taking cheesy pictures of it all.

1-DSC_6243_zps08575bfa.jpg
Looks like a great evening. Love the vintage gold Sub!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NS - great pic. happy bday to mrs NS!
Spot on Stitchy!!!
fistbump.gif
:) my man! -- has anyone else noticed the chopard watch ads on the side of SF? seems they are joining the ranks of those offering their watches for sale direct online. models up to 60k i think can be purchased from the website.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry, but I'm just not very impressed with what to me appears to be modified Sky Moon Tourbillon.  Also the engraving all over the watch looks very cheesy and over stylized.  When something is so complicated I don't need the case to be over the top and tacky (actually I don't need anything that is tacky).  I'm sure someone will buy it as their are enough crazy collectors out there that will want a 1 off or very limited production piece, but that watch wouldn't remotely interest me.  I would rather have a few vintage Pateks that are probably less expensive but truly special and beautiful.  Vintage Pateks were meant to be worn, now these modern very rare pieces are just intended for publicity and eventually end up in someones safe.  

I agree with this, at least from the prism of evaluating this piece as a watch you'd wear. Patek introduced some intricately engraved cases this year that impress me with its detail - but do absolutely nothing for me when it comes to wearability. Dino944, we've spoken about the 5059 and 5159 before - but compare the wearability of those pieces with its newest sibling, the 5160. The case is, as you said, overstylized. The analogy isn't perfect, but I feel the same way about intricately engraved enamel plates. I can appreciate the workmanship and what I'm sure was a painstaking production process (the 6002's blue enamel dial can't have been easy to make), but would I ever enjoy a delicious pasta dish eaten off said plate? Hell, no.

For me the only way I can appreciate the 6002 is as an "abstract" work of art, tough to engineer and produce but divorced from its (supposed) function as a wristwatch. That don't look like no wristwatch I'd wear.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry, but I'm just not very impressed with what to me appears to be modified Sky Moon Tourbillon.  Also the engraving all over the watch looks very cheesy and over stylized.  When something is so complicated I don't need the case to be over the top and tacky (actually I don't need anything that is tacky).  I'm sure someone will buy it as their are enough crazy collectors out there that will want a 1 off or very limited production piece, but that watch wouldn't remotely interest me.  I would rather have a few vintage Pateks that are probably less expensive but truly special and beautiful.  Vintage Pateks were meant to be worn, now these modern very rare pieces are just intended for publicity and eventually end up in someones safe.  

I agree with this, at least from the prism of evaluating this piece as a watch you'd wear. Patek introduced some intricately engraved cases this year that impress me with its detail - but do absolutely nothing for me when it comes to wearability. Dino944, we've spoken about the 5059 and 5159 before - but compare the wearability of those pieces with its newest sibling, the 5160. The case is, as you said, overstylized. The analogy isn't perfect, but I feel the same way about intricately engraved enamel plates. I can appreciate the workmanship and what I'm sure was a painstaking production process (the 6002's blue enamel dial can't have been easy to make), but would I ever enjoy a delicious pasta dish eaten off said plate? Hell, no.

For me the only way I can appreciate the 6002 is as an "abstract" work of art, tough to engineer and produce but divorced from its (supposed) function as a wristwatch. That don't look like no wristwatch I'd wear.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dafaq triple post. Sorry about that. I blame it on my blackberry and a spotty connection here in Charleston!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dafaq triple post. Sorry about that. I blame it on my blackberry and a spotty connection here in Charleston!
Thanks Frills, I was beginning to think I must have really gotten under your skin for you to repeated post a response to my rather basic post.

Frills, I think you have taken a bit of what I said too literally in terms of wearability. I might find some watches too bulky or too large, making them somewhat uncomfortable for me to wear and of limited use as they either won't fit under a dress shirt cuff, or they bulkiness might make them look less compatible with my wardrobe or sense of style. I appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into making any beautifully engraved item, be it a watch, a knife, a rifle, or whatever. I know that engraving or making things such as beautiful enamel cloisonnes (sp?) require incredible talent, patience, and skill.

IMHO, just because something requires a great deal of labor and skill to produce, doesn't mean the end result is a beautiful work of art. There are probably countless hours spent designing automobiles from beginning to end, and many of them are just plain ugly.

Sadly, I find the 6002 is just an ugly mess. Yes, lots of engraving, yes the dial probably took a great deal of work (although I don't like Smurf blue), but overall I can't help but think this looks like a watch designed for someone like Liberace, with ridiculously frilly and flamboyant clothing.

I can respect that you appreciate the work that went into making the 6002. I appreciate the work, just not the end result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads