The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

All that matters is that you'll like it and wear it. For me personally, it has several short comings that would reduce it's actual wear time, but that's just for me and should not be read as a criticism for what you like. There have been PP's posted in this thread that I would never choose even if I had all the money in the world. Different things speak to different people. OuJ's are certainly neat, and speak to me in a way, but I'm not sure I could ever truly see them sitting on my wrist that often in practice.

At the end of the day, if you are happy with the purchase, then that's all that matters (and it certainly seems like you are). I was simply offering up my opinion of the watch (something I like but not something I'm sure I'd ever consider owning). I'm glad you found something you like and hope you wear it in good health.

2. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

It's all good, I didn't take your comments as criticism. All the different opinions in this thread helped me zero in on what was important to me.

3. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

4. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

I am interested in this also. Does anyone have recommendations?

5. no frills

no frills Senior member

6. apropos

apropos Senior member

That's pretty nuts.

File that under "straight to auction, then investor's safe thereafter" IMO.

7. apropos

apropos Senior member

Not sure what the OP was after - there are no "real" or "imitation" NATOs, just differing standards of quality, like any other strap.

I can tell you what you want to look for in a NATO:

- quality steel hardware
    - low profile hardware - so they're not swinging in the breeze and catching on things
    - thicker fabric - thicker is better this time
    - well finished edges, well made/finished tang holes
    - and don't confuse NATO with ZULU straps! (Google this)

...and other things to consider include:

- small/tight vs bigger/looser weaves - will affect appearance and to a degree softness + durability (looser weaves are nicer to look at and more comfortable IMO, but don't do so well around the tang holes if not finished properly - they fray)
    - brushed vs polished hardware
    - stitched vs heat/ultrasonic welded - never had issues with either, mostly a looks thing I suspect
    - length of the strap, length of the "doubled up" bit that goes under your watch, position of the "doubled up" bit - will affect how/where the watch sits on your wrist, and where the buckle sits... if you have a smaller wrist a longer NATO will look ridiculous with the buckle halfway up the side of your wrist instead of being at the bottom

I've had good luck with Maratac and Timefactors straps. Member Singular is a NATO seller as well, and the straps I've purchased from him are serviceable. Time Traveller sells an unusual kangaroo tail NATO which has IMO the nicest texture for a leather NATO.

Once in a while unusual "woven"/"braided" NATOs come up on eBay or from other vendors, and I snap them up when I see them because IMO they are the most comfortable and best looking NATOs... they usually only come in black though.

Last edited: May 29, 2013

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i think that PP is ugly as sin. the previous model sky moon tourbillon was lovely.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2013

9. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Archie Luxury Lives.

Blech.

10. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Situation report from last night: Sipping champagne, cooking birthday dinner for my better half, enjoying my nipple dialled Sub, taking cheesy pictures of it all.

[​IMG]

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Sorry, but I'm just not very impressed with what to me appears to be modified Sky Moon Tourbillon. Also the engraving all over the watch looks very cheesy and over stylized. When something is so complicated I don't need the case to be over the top and tacky (actually I don't need anything that is tacky). I'm sure someone will buy it as their are enough crazy collectors out there that will want a 1 off or very limited production piece, but that watch wouldn't remotely interest me. I would rather have a few vintage Pateks that are probably less expensive but truly special and beautiful. Vintage Pateks were meant to be worn, now these modern very rare pieces are just intended for publicity and eventually end up in someones safe.
    Spot on Stitchy!!! [​IMG] IMHO, this was a far more elegant and wearable watch.
    Looks like a great evening. Love the vintage gold Sub!

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

NS - great pic. happy bday to mrs NS!
    :) my man! -- has anyone else noticed the chopard watch ads on the side of SF? seems they are joining the ranks of those offering their watches for sale direct online. models up to 60k i think can be purchased from the website.

13. no frills

no frills Senior member

I agree with this, at least from the prism of evaluating this piece as a watch you'd wear. Patek introduced some intricately engraved cases this year that impress me with its detail - but do absolutely nothing for me when it comes to wearability. Dino944, we've spoken about the 5059 and 5159 before - but compare the wearability of those pieces with its newest sibling, the 5160. The case is, as you said, overstylized. The analogy isn't perfect, but I feel the same way about intricately engraved enamel plates. I can appreciate the workmanship and what I'm sure was a painstaking production process (the 6002's blue enamel dial can't have been easy to make), but would I ever enjoy a delicious pasta dish eaten off said plate? Hell, no.

For me the only way I can appreciate the 6002 is as an "abstract" work of art, tough to engineer and produce but divorced from its (supposed) function as a wristwatch. That don't look like no wristwatch I'd wear.

14. no frills

no frills Senior member

I agree with this, at least from the prism of evaluating this piece as a watch you'd wear. Patek introduced some intricately engraved cases this year that impress me with its detail - but do absolutely nothing for me when it comes to wearability. Dino944, we've spoken about the 5059 and 5159 before - but compare the wearability of those pieces with its newest sibling, the 5160. The case is, as you said, overstylized. The analogy isn't perfect, but I feel the same way about intricately engraved enamel plates. I can appreciate the workmanship and what I'm sure was a painstaking production process (the 6002's blue enamel dial can't have been easy to make), but would I ever enjoy a delicious pasta dish eaten off said plate? Hell, no.

For me the only way I can appreciate the 6002 is as an "abstract" work of art, tough to engineer and produce but divorced from its (supposed) function as a wristwatch. That don't look like no wristwatch I'd wear.

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

Dafaq triple post. Sorry about that. I blame it on my blackberry and a spotty connection here in Charleston!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.