1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

We paid MSRP then shipped it to my in-laws to avoid the sales tax [​IMG]. Then again we bought the first one the AD received.

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

Glad you're liking that chameleon-like dial. It is something that I suspect needs to be seen to be fully appreciated. All the hype about Patek's Nautilus 5711 and its chameleon-like blue/green/grey dial sounds like the same thing you're describing. Enjoy!

Philip II from John Lobb - had to be in a suit yesterday. But was stomping up and down the streets to make sure I didn't slip! Counted six people landing smack on the pavement yesterday.

3. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I think I've shipped all of my watches from out of state ADs to avoid sales tax. For me, that's just being a smart consumer :D

I too, was told of an impending Rolex price hike. My guy at Govberg said Rolex often times doesn't give them any heads-up or warning, and the price increase is immediate! Yowza...

Better grab those BLNRs while you can. For those of you that already have, congrats since it's looking like you're already getting a return on your 'investment'

4. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I have lived in Louisiana for around four years now. This morning is the first that I have woken up with ice on my windshield! No longer equipped with an ice scraper, I had to make due with some room temperature water, a credit card, and this icy blue beauty:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  5. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Every element of this is just amazing.

6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

every time i see a JLC MUT or MUT moon i cry with desire.

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I have to second that. Those Lobbs look very tasty, and I am not even that much of a Lobb fanboy (save the Chapel and Vale, DROOL).

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Also, discuss (modern Aquatimers):

Old Aquatimer:

[​IMG]

Mid-Aquatimer:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New, 2014 Aquatimer:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What is IWC doing :violin:

1 person likes this.
  9. TC (Houston)

Happy Friday gents! :)

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The old one based on the GST, is my favorite of the 3. However, a guy I knew that was a professional diver who did underwater work on bridges said even though it had a deeper depth rating than a Sub or Sea-Dweller, he considered it an inferior design as an actual useful diver for professionals. He said he would never buy a diving watch that did not have "Shoulders" to protect the crown. He said in his line of work, his Sub took a beating and one of the the weakest part of the watch is the winding crown. He said strike the side of the crown against part of a bridge structure and bend the tube, shift the crown a bit etc, and you've just compromised the integrity of the watch's water resistance...and possibly opened the flood gates (literally).

The intermediate series of Aquatimers always looked a bit plasticky and not as high quality as the GTS version.

The 2014 version seems busy and goofy looking to me. Definitely, not a piece that will make it on to my "Short list."

1 person likes this.
  11. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Not to mention the internal timing bezel is especially useless if diving in cold water with gloves. Although mostly a moot point as dive watches have been replaced by dive computers for the most part.

12. TC (Houston)

So true about computers. I can't imagine why anyone would wear a nice watch diving these days.

13. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I like the old model AT, but have never held one nor seen one in the metal so it's hard to know for sure. The design seems very classic IWC and seems to be one of the more desired models from previous IWC fans. I had the Galapagos which I loved, but ultimately traded up. Albeit I don't dive much, but for recreational water sports,snorkeling etc (which accounts for the activities of probably 99% of most 'dive' watch owners..), it was great. The new AT's: I thought I would like at first, but am put off a little by the hands looking a little short (I know, it's because of the rotating internal bezel..), and the size of some of the models seems a bit much. And that's coming from me.. Still want to try them on before I make a final judgement though. I do miss my old Galapagos though. The rubber held up without any problems and I put it through a hell of a lot too. [​IMG]

14. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

This is the only recent IWC dive watch offering that I kind of liked....the 2008 LE "vintage" version. Never did see one IRL.

[​IMG]

Of course you could get a very similar compressor-styled Longines for far less.

Edit: pic stolen from aBlogtoWatch

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  15. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I much prefer the old design and think it deserved a longer production run. Just like the Inge 3227, Pilot Mk XV, BP 5002, Pilot chrono & double chrono 3706 & 3713, to me, the Aquatimer 3536 looked much better than what has come after. Same for the Portuguese line after they replaced the cursive script on the dial.

If nothing else, their philanthropic strategy of putting out easily resistable products is greatly successful.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  16. Maturestyle

Maturestyle Member

[​IMG]

I own several vintage watches. This is one of my favorites. 1972 Rolex Datejust.

1 person likes this.
  17. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I would wear my Rolex Sub-C diving as a backup. I didn't baby that thing at all.

18. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Coincidentally, I'm "desk diving" with this one today...Seamaster 2531.80 .... my first automatic.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  19. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Nice Keith, handsome watch!

20. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Looks great. Would love to see more of your collection.
    QFT. The 3227 has remained on my short list, if ever one comes up at the right time / right price. Gerald Genta for teh win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.