• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

... I'm not against simplicity: happy day today as my small and simple old Omega is finally back from the hospital. :)

That is classic.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Roger! It's scruffy and simple but has a lot of sentimental history. After three months and more of being dicked around by the new mega-large AD, during which time it was sent to Dubai, then Switzerland and back again with nothing done, I went to the old AD who fixed it within 24 hours. For under $40. I'm delighted and disgusted at the same time!

Good stuff, man!

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, thanks for the link ChicagoRon. Sorry for the late reply - I almost missed your post.

That is one lovely piece, and given the amount of complications it houses - and its truly unique stature of being "a limited edition of one" - I'd be surprised if it just goes for $1 to $1.5 million given the interest in timepieces nowadays.

And it's not just the fact that it houses some pretty bad a** complications: it's also the fact that this bad girl was made 115 years ago, and can still hold its own against some of the more complicated pieces currently being produced.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Thank you Scott, Frilly.

Frills; if you'd like someone to proxy for you I'd be happy to go to the auction...expenses plus 1.5% is all. :)

Back to big watches for a moment: a Panerai boutique has just opened where I live. Although I've always liked the way they look, I've had doubts about their wearability. I've never seen them in the flesh before (that's how backward my life is, eh?), until today. I was surprisingly taken with this:

A lot more comfortable and lighter to wear than I expected, even at 44mm and with that monster crown guard. And it's certainly got personality. Any thoughts on this Calibre 9001 movement? Having to look at the back (and move the rotor out of the way) strikes me as both silly and cool somehow. But one way or another, I liked it.

Last edited:

suaviter

Reaction score
Obviously, not Frills, but what kind of food/price point. I've been to Craftsteak at the MGM a few times and always had a great meal. Pricey but worth it. A bit loud, but if you are going with a bunch of guys its a good place to go to fuel up for the night. Also went to IL Mulino at Caesars and I was really impressed. Usually, I don't like spending a lot on Italian food since pasta is pretty inexpensive, but everything there was fantastic. But it may be too quite of a place if you are going with a bunch of guys. I don't care for buffets and places that require sneeze guards over the food. However, if you go to one, Caesars just spent 20 million revamping there's, and the dessert/crepe station was excellent.

For watch shopping , there is Roman Times in Caesars forum, along with a Breitling Boutique & Chopard Boutique. There is Vicci (they carry AP). There is a Rolex Boutique in the Wynn, along with Boutiques for Omega, Cartier, and Breguet. They also have a high end jewelry store with Patek, and there is a Tourneau somewhere that also has Patek. Then at the Venetian/ Palazzo there are boutiques for Piaget, VC, IWC, and a few others.

Have fun.

Sorry I have been at the beach for Mem Day ..... Hope you all had a nice one.

I would ask for more along the 'reasonable' price line -- found out we have a rez at Wolfgang Puck's 'Cut' so that will likely be our biggest meal splurge.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mimo The 320 is a great watch. Of course as you know most purists prefer Panerai's hand wound versions and the cleaner dials. I've always been attracted to OP's automatic models (but I've a preference for autos with dates) I have the 312 and it fills in all the gaps for me. If you've never flirted with the idea of a large watch before, then the 320 is certainly a jump into the deep end. Unabashedly it is a LARGE watch, and wears every bit of the 44 mm. Extremely thick too. Will most likely not fit under cuffs (but most SF'ers would likely go with another watch for more formal occasions anyways) It's not a true 1950's case, rather a hybrid if you will. Has a semi-domed crystal which I personally like. Although built like a tank, the p9000 movement (i can't comment on the p9001), is not terribly accurate for me to be honest. I think the 320 makes a great watch for various casual occasions, and the ability to swap straps on it is a big plus. Still, definitely not for the faint of heart. Plus its price has done nothing but go up (like most other swiss watches), and discounts on new PAMs remain frustratingly rare, making it a rather poor VALUE IMO. But if you are someone who truly has your heart set on it, you wouldn't be disappointed. Just expect to pay more than other comparable brands/models.
Thank you Scott, Frilly. Frills; if you'd like someone to proxy for you I'd be happy to go to the auction...expenses plus 1.5% is all. :) Back to big watches for a moment: a Panerai boutique has just opened where I live. Although I've always liked the way they look, I've had doubts about their wearability. I've never seen them in the flesh before (that's how backward my life is, eh?), until today. I was surprisingly taken with this: A lot more comfortable and lighter to wear than I expected, even at 44mm and with that monster crown guard. And it's certainly got personality. Any thoughts on this Calibre 9001 movement? Having to look at the back (and move the rotor out of the way) strikes me as both silly and cool somehow. But one way or another, I liked it.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
A more sensible casual watch? ^^ Thanks for the Panerai 1.1 - most enlightening! Certainly it won't fit under my cuff (and not the double I was wearing in the pic, anyway), but you're right...this is a linen trousers and polo shirt, weekend laziness thing I suppose. As for pricing, you're right: RRP is $10k, discounts in ten second internet search found to $8k. But for that I'm thinking: wouldn't a Rolex GMT or Sub be more versatile, just as casual, and a couple of grand cheaper too?

I guess you love Panerais or you don't. I'm not sure how useful they are if, like me, you only have a couple of watches and aren't about to go on a Frilly-esque spree. But after today I can say one thing: I get it. If I had a handful of nice dressier watches and maybe something more conventionally sporty (like your Speedy!), I could see space for something this fun. They're very charismatic, if not exactly classy. Like a purple Fiat 500 Abarth.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mimo - thats nice. buy it.

rn - speedy looking good.

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A more sensible casual watch? ^^  Thanks for the Panerai 1.1 - most enlightening!  Certainly it won't fit under my cuff (and not the double I was wearing in the pic, anyway), but you're right...this is a linen trousers and polo shirt, weekend laziness thing I suppose.  As for pricing, you're right: RRP is $10k, discounts in ten second internet search found to $8k.  But for that I'm thinking: wouldn't a Rolex GMT or Sub be more versatile, just as casual, and a couple of grand cheaper too?

I guess you love Panerais or you don't.  I'm not sure how useful they are if, like me, you only have a couple of watches and aren't about to go on a Frilly-esque spree.  But after today I can say one thing:  I get it.  If I had a handful of nice dressier watches and maybe something more conventionally sporty  (like your Speedy!), I could see space for something this fun.  They're very charismatic, if not exactly classy.  Like a purple Fiat 500 Abarth. 

They are also rather addictive.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is en route from Lucerne to me as of this morning...

Last edited:

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love their design. Really fantastic, IMO.
Does that keep track of which months have 30 and which have 31 days And Feb) or does it always cycle through 31? Also, is the above the colors you got?

It is an annual calendar, so it only has to be reset on March 1. I got the colors in the picture with a brown strap and a dark gray strap. The dial in the pictures looks tan, but it is really Pantone Warm Gray 3C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads