The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

noap! sorry.

2. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Glad it is back safely and running well Mimo - looking good, too.

3. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Thanks Roger! It's scruffy and simple but has a lot of sentimental history. After three months and more of being dicked around by the new mega-large AD, during which time it was sent to Dubai, then Switzerland and back again with nothing done, I went to the old AD who fixed it within 24 hours. For under $40. I'm delighted and disgusted at the same time!

Last edited: May 27, 2013

4. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

That is classic.

5. no frills

no frills Senior member

Good stuff, man!

6. no frills

no frills Senior member

Wow, thanks for the link ChicagoRon. Sorry for the late reply - I almost missed your post.

That is one lovely piece, and given the amount of complications it houses - and its truly unique stature of being "a limited edition of one" - I'd be surprised if it just goes for $1 to $1.5 million given the interest in timepieces nowadays.

And it's not just the fact that it houses some pretty bad a** complications: it's also the fact that this bad girl was made 115 years ago, and can still hold its own against some of the more complicated pieces currently being produced.

Last edited: May 27, 2013

7. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Thank you Scott, Frilly.

Frills; if you'd like someone to proxy for you I'd be happy to go to the auction...expenses plus 1.5% is all. :)

Back to big watches for a moment: a Panerai boutique has just opened where I live. Although I've always liked the way they look, I've had doubts about their wearability. I've never seen them in the flesh before (that's how backward my life is, eh?), until today. I was surprisingly taken with this:

[​IMG]

A lot more comfortable and lighter to wear than I expected, even at 44mm and with that monster crown guard. And it's certainly got personality. Any thoughts on this Calibre 9001 movement? Having to look at the back (and move the rotor out of the way) strikes me as both silly and cool somehow. But one way or another, I liked it.

Last edited: May 28, 2013

8. suaviter

suaviter Senior member

Sorry I have been at the beach for Mem Day ..... Hope you all had a nice one.

I would ask for more along the 'reasonable' price line -- found out we have a rez at Wolfgang Puck's 'Cut' so that will likely be our biggest meal splurge.

9. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Mimo The 320 is a great watch. Of course as you know most purists prefer Panerai's hand wound versions and the cleaner dials. I've always been attracted to OP's automatic models (but I've a preference for autos with dates) I have the 312 and it fills in all the gaps for me. If you've never flirted with the idea of a large watch before, then the 320 is certainly a jump into the deep end. Unabashedly it is a LARGE watch, and wears every bit of the 44 mm. Extremely thick too. Will most likely not fit under cuffs (but most SF'ers would likely go with another watch for more formal occasions anyways) It's not a true 1950's case, rather a hybrid if you will. Has a semi-domed crystal which I personally like. Although built like a tank, the p9000 movement (i can't comment on the p9001), is not terribly accurate for me to be honest. I think the 320 makes a great watch for various casual occasions, and the ability to swap straps on it is a big plus. Still, definitely not for the faint of heart. Plus its price has done nothing but go up (like most other swiss watches), and discounts on new PAMs remain frustratingly rare, making it a rather poor VALUE IMO. But if you are someone who truly has your heart set on it, you wouldn't be disappointed. Just expect to pay more than other comparable brands/models.

10. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

A more sensible casual watch? ^^ Thanks for the Panerai 1.1 - most enlightening! Certainly it won't fit under my cuff (and not the double I was wearing in the pic, anyway), but you're right...this is a linen trousers and polo shirt, weekend laziness thing I suppose. As for pricing, you're right: RRP is $10k, discounts in ten second internet search found to $8k. But for that I'm thinking: wouldn't a Rolex GMT or Sub be more versatile, just as casual, and a couple of grand cheaper too?

I guess you love Panerais or you don't. I'm not sure how useful they are if, like me, you only have a couple of watches and aren't about to go on a Frilly-esque spree. But after today I can say one thing: I get it. If I had a handful of nice dressier watches and maybe something more conventionally sporty (like your Speedy!), I could see space for something this fun. They're very charismatic, if not exactly classy. Like a purple Fiat 500 Abarth.

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

mimo - thats nice. buy it.

rn - speedy looking good.

13. Flake

Flake Senior member

They are also rather addictive.

14. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

This is en route from Lucerne to me as of this morning...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2013

15. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I love their design. Really fantastic, IMO.
    Does that keep track of which months have 30 and which have 31 days And Feb) or does it always cycle through 31? Also, is the above the colors you got?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.