1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Yeah, I'm hoping His Royal Highness might deign to comment on RD as a maker. I can't say I fell in love with anything in the dealer, although I did like the second one once I was wearing it.

That silky titanium and near-edible blueness on the PO..yes indeed.

Yeah, looking again at the pics, the RD Excalibur's lugs are pretty prominent, whereas the larger PO seems to have shorter lugs in a softer shape. Definitely defines the feel a lot.

Hehe...Crockett & Jones Grasmere..nothing extraordinary but I like the scotchgrain texture, and they feel bullet proof and comfortable for travelling. Weird I was wearing those in the airport PO pic; I was just talking about them yesterday in another thread.

I definitely agree about having something "fun" or unusual, or just very casual. But I have to say for the money ($15k rrp, $11k easily enough), I'm not sure it delivers for me. Then again, some nerdy knowledge from Dino on how fabulous the movement is could change how I look at it - it certainly looks special with the micro rotor and whatnot. But right now I'm thinking that would buy a selection of recreational watches that I would enjoy - that phat PO for boats and beaches, and a basic Panerai for bikes and football, for example? Then again, it's not exactly a sports watch anyway; more a statement dress watch. Hard to place it, but then I guess that's what makes it individual.

Quote: Thanks a lot; green is on the conservative side, but one of my favourites - Mazarin from "meschaussettesrouges.com"

2. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Interesting you bring this up. I have been thinking about getting a watch that is "fun", this day of the week watch from Ochs and Junior. Note how the day dot lines up with the numbers 1-7. Designed for children, but I love the whimsy.

[​IMG]

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

just got these ready, amongst others. :)

vintage submariner no date 5513

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

iwc mark xvi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Scott, I get you but that's too "toy-like" for me I think. Have to see it in the flesh for sure.

Stitch, save me that Sub...and will you throw in the pair of Tricker's too?

5. in stitches

done deal !

6. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Yeah, I thought the same thing. But the more I look at it, the more I see it as an anti-status symbol/branding watch.

7. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Never placed a Roger Dubuis on the wrist, but that silver dial looks pretty sharp to me.

Stitchy: is the 5513 all original? Dial/hands show a little bit of that nice creamy fade.

8. apropos

apropos Senior member

For me, the biggest component of the appeal of the O&J watches is their design. I've thought a bit about why their designs appeal to me, and my initial impulse was to chalk it up to them having some sort of je ne sais quoi with a "contemporary" or "modern" flavour. That they fit into "modern life" well, or something like that.

When I thought about it a little bit more, I realised this could not be true. We've seen examples of this sort of (industrial) design before, in the past most prominently from Dieter Rams, and nowadays from Jasper Morrison, Jonathan Ives, and Naoto Fusikawa. The common thread with their designs is simplicity, intuitiveness, usefulness - and as little design as possible.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

FWIW, from a design philosophy POV, similar watches to the O&J lineup include the Ressence watch, and the MIH watch.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Compare this to many modern watches, which either 1. take cues from historical models from a different era where a more baroque aesthetic movement was en vogue and design elements were more designed (the vast majority of watches discussed on this thread), or 2. invent their own cues and look somewhat futuristic (some MB&F, de Bethune, etc).

It is interesting to see that some folk here have interpreted the simplicity and apparent lack of design to be "childish" - I would say that given the motivation of their design philosophy that this is evidence it has fulfilled its function perfectly. Perhaps what people are picking up on is the lack of overdesign. After all, if something with a functional purpose is intuitive enough to be used by a child, it has to be well designed, no?

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  9. in stitches

i once tried on a RB toub. it was amazing.

i believe so. we bought it from the original owner. it has been sold. sorry, mimo.

10. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Great. Now I wanna buy another Sinn U1. If I do likely the SDR.

[​IMG]

So if we're looking at modern design what do people think of the Tallon designed Lip watches?

[​IMG]

11. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Great point about the "childish" appearance. I think that could only apply to the Settimana and then only because of the orange crayon appearance of the numerals. Personally, I like it.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  12. no frills

no frills Senior member

Dang, that wuz fazt.

13. in stitches

it was. tho my record was a recent mint condition sub, sold in under 3 minutes i think.

14. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I guess I'm just an old fart when it comes to watch design aesthetics. No bright orange for me, but I'm not against simplicity: happy day today as my small and simple old Omega is finally back from the hospital. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  15. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

[​IMG]

Here is my only watch currently. A daily wearer that sees its share of abuse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.