The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i am not a huge nomons fan. :(

that looks to me like a less awesome stowa.

also, flat date windows, meaning, no stepping/layering on the dial cut out, with no border make me so mad.

i think this patek, while not great, is not turrible, for example. but the date window really ruins it for me. its a really flat dead looking watch, and i think a little border on the date window would make a huge difference.

[​IMG]

as opposed to these, that at least have a little border that makes all the difference for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also noteworthy, the lack of depth to the calendar dials on the first patek. basically, i really dont like that first patek because its dead looking. give some depth to the dials add a date border and bam, a whole different watch.

edit - clicked nomos for large size. date window is slightly stepped, and there is some nice guilloche on the sub dial. not a terrible watch. still would go stowa over that though. would like a wider strap too.

i feel so nit-picky :(

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  2. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I like that is has small seconds and a date in that layout. But for that suggested MRSP, I think I'd get a Seamaster for the diving, a Stowa for that look, and a steak for dinner with the change! Or maybe just a used Sub and skip dinner.

I mean, it's...OK...but I don't love the mix of numbers and batons: Lange do that on the Datography because the dial is crowded, and for me it works; here it seems unnecessary and derivative. The little coloured second hand to make it more "sporty" seems contrived to me, and overall it seems a little confused about its own identity. And for $4500, it needs to be more than OK for me.

3. dcg

dcg Senior member

Appreciate the offer! As of right now, I'm not planning to attend, but if anything changes I'll shoot you a PM.

4. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Something like this RGM?

[​IMG]

5. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Good points and I am a Stowa fan as well. Not as clean looking as a tangente but an interesting option if you are not a typical diver fan.

6. forex

forex Senior member

This GMT looks awesome, what color is the bezel? Can't quite tell, it has a reddish hue to it but it could be the angle of the pic.

7. Flake

Flake Senior member

I have seen several of Roland Murphy's watches in person. Pictures do not do them justice. They are works of art. His guilloche dials are made on a hand- turned antique rose engine. I have a friend who has a few, including a one of a kind that was featured a few years back in WatchTime.

8. in stitches

i should really go to his place and see them one day, its not too far away from me.

9. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

The bezel started out as the regular brown bezel for the gold GMT . Now it's a spectacular purplish-red-brown fade. I wish I could say that the patina is the product of many years of baking under the mediterranean sun, but I know for a fact that the baking was done in the former owner's oven :embar:
    My (not so original) assumption is that a lot of patinaed tritium and bezels are made the same way ...

With a black bezel and a green Nato, you have a different look altogether :satisfied:

[​IMG]

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I love that combo NS. Where did you happen to come across that NATO by the way? I have been looking for NATOs with gold hardware for quite some time.

Also, on a different note, does anyone ever ride their bike with a mechanical? Today I was biking with my Speedy Pro, and I decided to bike with one hand :embar:. Then again, the New Orleans streets can be fairly bumpy.

11. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Thanks! Our very own Singular has some: http://www.singularstraps.se/shop/category/nato-guld/

Also got some here: http://www.strapcode.com/store/nato-gold-edition-c-229.html?infoBox=0

here : http://www.ebay.com/itm/NATO-Watch-...sories_SpareParts_SM&var=&hash=item45fcfb4455

and here: http://www.lapassioneperiltempo.com/kshop/store/kommerce_ShowDettaglioArticolo.asp?IDART=2603&TIPO=A

My guess is all of the major sellers of Natos have them now.

A couple of years ago, they were nowhere to be found. So I had one leather Nato custom made with gold plated hardware just for me. That was expensive, and totally unnecessary. Shortly after, gold Natos were everywhere. A pic of my watch and strap did the rounds on Tumblr after getting posted here, it still shows up on my dashboard every now and then :)

[​IMG]

(Edit: Hm, sounds as if I take the credit for the rise of the gold Nato, which is totally unbecoming, and untrue. An italian collector in VRF had one made with solid 18k hardware, which I suppose is the source of the interest. At least it was to me.)

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

^^ Bling-tastic!

13. sammy

sammy Senior member

Vintage Omega Dynamic. I had the strap custom made out of shell cordovan. Its cut from one single piece of leather with no stitching aside from where the buckle attaches.
    [​IMG]

Original buckle
    [​IMG]

14. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Found the pic (not mine) that made me want a gold Rolex in the first place :slayer:

[​IMG]

15. in stitches

please tell me this story has a happy ending for your watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.