1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Thanks Stitch! [​IMG]
    That's beautiful! I love that its not simply a round movement and that they actually made it to fit the case. Really impressive. I've never seen an RGM in person, but that is one model I'd love to see up close.
    Love the gold Sub. Its a really nice change from the often expected all steel or two tone models. Sorry, but I have to disagree with your being uncomfortable with wearing it with a dressy shirt or even a suit. Sure its not as dressy as wearing a pure dress watch, but not every dressy shirt, suit, or event requires a dress watch. As for wearing an all gold Sub, Daytona etc. with sweats,...I guess I think they are too nice looking to only enjoy at home while wearing sweats, but to each his own.

Last edited: May 21, 2013

2. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Distinguished Member

I'm totally picturing a low-level Italian or Russian mafia guy, like Pacino's character from Donnie Brasco or Roman and Maurice from Rounders in their fake Armani and Versace sweaters with a big old solid gold sub right now, in head to toe matching velour track suit. Gives me LULZ.

3. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior Member

Thanks! Hehe, I do bring it out of the house, don't worry. Although it seems to have become my choice for relaxed and casual evenings.

Not every dressy event requires a dress watch, I agree. I won't hestitate to pretend to be James Bond and wear a steel Sub on a Nato to any fancy party :eek: It's only the full gold bracelet look that I'm not comfortable with. (On me, that is. Others will surely pull it off.) I will however happily wear my gold GMT on a strap with anything :satisfied:

[​IMG]

:D

4. dcg

dcg Distinguished Member

Thanks! I've heard that it wears large - probably a combo of the white face/thin bezel, and a larger lug to lug measurement. Good to know it's doable on a 6.5" wrist.

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

Stowa should be fine with 6.5" wrists, the lugs are not too long. Of course, no two wrists are the same!

As for that RGM--very cool! When I was in Philadelphia, I was seriously thinking stopping by their factory. Never got the time unfortunately. Maybe it is me, but I love the architecture of Roland's in house movements. The sweeping, seductively curved bridges are very attractive to my eye. Very pocket watch inspired. I wish that he streamlined some of his designs, but there are several models I would like. The pilot is especially cool. I get bored with normal fliegers, so I need something a bit different.

6. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

Some amazing gold watches in here! Never fancied a Daytona but that gold one is lust worthy.

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

NonServiam - both lovely rolexes. great pics too. and the gold and gray is great together.

8. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Distinguished Member

I know it is unlikely to get a lot of TWAT love but I have a secret obsession with the AP ROO Diver. I find the layout harmonious and really like the squares on the face (not sure what they are called). Im not sure I would shell out $20K for a diver but I do love looking at it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

If you're at the Phils game on the 1st, I may be able to show it to you in the metal so you have a better idea of the watch if you have concerns. Just send a PM my way.

10. rnguy001

rnguy001 Distinguished Member

I'm going to join you in this very small boat - I too like the AP ROs (divers and offshores) a lot. And like you would have a hard time justifying their price (- to myself. Though I admit in person their quality and craftsmanship really do stand up to their reputation), but I really like looking at them..

11. in stitches

i love that model.

i always wondered if the squares were considered a form of guilloche or if there is a different name for that entirely.

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I think it's called a "waffle" dial, although that may be unofficial!

When I was bashing the giant ROOs, it wasn't really this I had in mind. After all, the RO it's a sports watch in nature and origin, so making a chunky version with a rubber strap and other dive-y accoutrements is no more ridiculous than Patek making the Aquanaut. Sure, it's true that $20k is a lot for a diving accessory, and you'd probably be upset were you ever to scratch that lovely brushed case. But then it's all a matter of degrees. It's a bit much next to a Sub or a Seamaster, but a lot less silly than a gold one.

And that's really what I (and if I might take His Royal Highness's name in vain, Dino) was railing against: making a watch like this out of rose gold with a tourbillon in it, still in diver proportions with diver functionality on a diver's rubber strap, for $200k, is what's silly. Making endless Skittles-coloured limited editions with fake carbon flanges and luminous extraneous twattery, for $50k. That's what is silly.

At the end of the day, this is a dive watch, so it's big, on a rubber strap, and heavy-looking. And it's an AP so it costs quite a lot. I can't say I have anything really to criticise about either of those things. This is the one that makes sense. It's the brothers and sisters I can't quite rationalise, but then since when was any of this rational? :)

13. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Distinguished Member

Well said, I agree on all fronts. I like the Aquanut as well but prefer the ROO Diver. I think the signature octagonal bezel really lends itself to a diver type application like this one.

14. in stitches

big plus one.

mimo - yes, its called a waffle dial, but i was wondering if its stamped or guilloche, i would guess stamp, as i think guilloche requires turning, and i dont see how that box pattend could be accomplished with turning, as opposed to wave or circular patterns, but i dont really know for sure.

15. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Distinguished Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.