The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Definitely

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

stitchy - agreed.

Which kind of begs the question: can Patek Philippe actually come out with a sporty, rugged, modern watch that befits their company's traditions, history, and market perception? I mean, even their "sportier" lines like the Aquanaut or Nautilus tend to be described more in terms of "classical" lines. In terms of annual calendars, the 5205 is probably the most "modern" piece I've seen them produce - but it ain't really "sporty" or "rugged" (as some users in other forums have tried to describe it).

It is arguable that Patek should just stick to its knitting and not even try to be what they are not.

3. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Frills this is the first time I've ever seen you pissed off. Gotta say I kinda like it!

Personally I think your choice in women is exceptional. My favorite though is Charlize with her Rolex at the ball game

4. apropos

apropos Senior member

Yowza, no frills! :)

A palate cleanser perhaps to get that bad taste out of your mouth?

Look at Elle Macpherson's...

[​IMG]

...watch!! Solid yellow gold Daytona = WIN.

EDIT: And another one, because I couldn't resist... Both these photos were apparently taken when Elle was 45. Yes boys, FORTY FIVE.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  5. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Been enjoying the banter lately guys! Just started studying for the bar, so I will be here primarily in spirit. I hope my potential future wifey looks like that at 45. Jeezum.

6. no frills

no frills Senior member

Why, thank you, rnguy001. I have not yet seen that picture of Charlize with her Rolex at the ball game. You just gave me another reason to peruse the world wide web for research purposes.

Wow, apropos - thanks for posting this. That Daytona sure is looking golden at 45 years of age. [​IMG]

But, on topic too: I'm generally not a fan of all-gold pieces. My wife and I even tried owning one for a while, and we just couldn't wear it as comfortably or confidently as we would have liked. And yet, as with other subjective matters based on personal taste, it's really how you pull it off, isn't it? I mean, that all-gold Daytona sure looks good on Elle Macpherson. And though I might not like the new all-platinum Daytona (at least from pictures - I admit I haven't seen one up close or worn one personally), I also thought it looked good on Roger Federer. Haha.

7. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

??? No idea. That's bizarre.

8. apropos

apropos Senior member

It's congruous on her.

She's going on 50 now and still surfs. She looks more at home somewhere sunny, rather than say, the boulevards of old Paris. Her "look" (or at least her best look IMO) has always been something along the lines of sun kissed Amazonian goddess - and a solid YG Daytona is congruous with that.

Contrast Elle with Diane Kruger. Diane is more... delicate, more Continental, and perhaps more "refined", yes?

She fits a JLC Reverso well, no?

[​IMG]

Yes yes, I know DK is a JLC "celebrity" now, but both celebrities wore their watches before the respective companies approached them - no cart before horse here. I think I recall reading somewhere that DK got her first Reverso as a 18th or 21st birthday gift from her mother.

9. no frills

no frills Senior member

Absolutely agree about the congruity - DK <-> Reverso and EM <-> solid gold Daytona.

10. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Okay guys, here's some strap options for consideration on the El Primero.

I tried to take these pics as consistently as my awesome camera setup cell phone would allow.

I will also upload these as
    SPOILERS
    so as not to completely hijack the thread. And leave more room for supermodel photos :embar:

Brown croc:
    [​IMG]

Black NATO:
    [​IMG]

Stainless Mesh:
    [​IMG]

Honey tan w/contrast stitching:
    [​IMG]

I was personally surprised at the mesh, which I really would not have considered in all likelihood.

Additional thoughts appreciated, but certainly not required. Thanks for looking.

11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

keith - i still like the carbon.

frills - good post back there.

errone - kruger is hawt.

i will endeavour to accomplish that.

i was wondering exactly that. i think its good for any brand to try and branch out, and it might be neat for PP to come out with a true rugged sports line, but it needs to be something entirely new imo, not taking a very classy already existing watch model that people have associations with, and trying to sportify it with different band, case and dial materials. just my opinion.

12. apropos

apropos Senior member

Not too shabby, right? The mesh you chose has a less "fine" weave, which IMO matches the watch perfectly - a sporty, vintage looking, chrono with era-appropriate fittings. :slayer:

IMO mesh bracelets are making a small comeback now as the various brands rummage through their archives - I think Zenith and Breitling have some new releases on mesh bracelets now.

In other news, my ABP strap in peccary(!) arrived today. Despite warnings of failed expectations from the foo, construction wise it looks as nice as the Camille Fournet JLC OEM it will replace. So yay - nice new shoes for Red! Photos by the end of the week.

She is, isn't she? Ballerina (she was accepted into the Royal Ballet School), equestrian, speaks 3 languages fluently, model, actress, grew up wearing a Reverso... now if she worked in Christie's in the Antiquities department too she would be my perfect imaginary trophy wife. :embar:

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

By the end of the week??? Shucks, that is a long time...

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

keith, i forgot, i agree with apropos, that of the options in that last post, i like the mesh the best.

15. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

My vote is mesh or black NATO. Six of one...

And now for something I don't think I have seen in this thread, a watch with one hand, the Pita Barcelona Minimal.

[​IMG]

I love the idea of a single hand that takes 12 hrs to complete one revolution. This one is WAY out of my budget at $11K, but I have found a similar model by Schauer for under $4K.

I also like this regulateur.

[​IMG]

What do y'all think of these unusual designs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.