Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

First time for me seeing this magnificent example of what we're discussing, mimo. So, I had to do a bit of research. Like, what the hell is that covering the crown and what does it actually do. Fun review here:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/21/review-graham-chronofighter-oversize-gmt-watch/

"The Chronofighter is a huge watch for folks who like huge watches and, for the money, I haven’t seen anything beat it in terms of visibility, utility, and sheer cheek."

Nice. I look forward to those wrist shots, my friend...

2. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Is that a bottle opener for beers and a button to keep count of how many you had? If so, bravo...that would have helped in college.

3. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Eye wash, please.

Somebody jump in here...

4. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Very nice.

5. no frills

no frills Senior member

Oh alright. Here you go, Charlize Theron wearing a Christian Dior, I think, with diamonds.

[​IMG]

If you can find a nice wrist shot featuring Kate Upton, I would be most appreciative.

6. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

No no no. To make it more beautiful, you have to go to a 50mm case. I mean, bigger is better, right?

[​IMG]

or maybe....

[​IMG]

Eyewash indeed, but back to the Patek G-Shock: if you're going to make insane one-offs, this is the way to do it. And to be blunt, this sort of thing does make a "carbon fibre effect embossed strap" look a bit...well....shit, doesn't it?

Last edited: May 18, 2013

7. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Vintage Heuer Autavia this evening. Rosé in the glass, warm breeze.

[​IMG]

A nice view of the automatic (spot the rotor?) movement, thanks to a custom display back.

[​IMG]

8. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

....aaaand we're back on track.

I knew I could count on you guys. A little Charlize never hurt anybody.

Nice one, NonServiam. Couple of dings on the bezel ===> character.

9. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Allow me to contribute to the eyewash. Here's what a center minute chronograph should look like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. gambit50

gambit50 Senior member

You show Charlize but desire Upton? This does not jibe with the ridicule and hate(justified) of all those monstrosity, tasteless, XXXL watches shown previously. It is the bizarro version of that preference, actually. How is taste lost across these different avenues? They are close enough that I would think one's applies the same all the way. Stick to the watches, you are aces there. More generally, I do question whether people take into account the wearer's own size(wrist, body) to determine where the line to grossly large watch for its own sake has been crossed. Akin to those in the styling of suits. Some people should not wear certain styles even if, ideally, that style looks best in a vacuum or on a model. And depending on your own proportions, etc. you just cannot(alright, should not) employ specific features for they accentuate your faults rather than dulling. blurring or distracting from them to create the best possible image one might attain from a more proper suit.

11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

NonServiam - love it.

:nodding: DO EEET!!

+1

correct. in the JLC catalogue i was looking at the other night they even point out that some of the titanium models cannot be restored to the original factory finish. to me, it only belongs on rugged watches where the scratches add character, not on any watch you would want to polish.

--
    dino - great looking green sub!

12. in stitches

le sigh. they took a perfectly wonderful watch, and destroyed it. i dont think that is like any other PP i have seen, and not in a good way. way too contemporary sporty. swap the strap with a nice black or brown croc, give it a classy dial and boom, you have a great watch. oh well. someone will like it, and since there is only one, thats all they need.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Don't even get me started on Carbon Fiber! Go onto a car configuration site and look at what the carbon fiber interior trim bits do to say the cost of a Porsche, BMW, etc. Really, people are paying how much for the privilege of putting plastic into the cars interior. What the hell is that about? The people at Porsche and BMW must be laughing all the way to the bank! People complain about cheap plastic interiors in Kias, Hyundais, Fords, etc...but high end car companies charge the hell out of customers and their customers are ponying up big money to buy fancy plastic.

Yes, quite sad that some ROOs are well, less than tasteful. Sadly GP has done similar things with their once sleek and sophisticated Laureato line of watches. They ballooned up in size and then added lots of high end complications. Sadly, ROOs and modern Laureatos remind me of caricatures of the original watches they were derived from.
    [​IMG] Spot on!
    Check some earlier posts from the last few months. The size of watches, relative to the wearer and fashion, has been talked about to death. It's a can of worms I don't want to revisit.

14. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Re: carbon fiber...I would quickly get lost in either the biking or automotive worlds. Belligero and Dino both make good sense though, as far as appropriate use of materials.

However, I do have one timepiece that I wear on a black carbon fiber strap.

I actually bought it for one of my Omegas, but then I put it on this 1969, and it's just kind of stuck...

[​IMG]

Opinions here?

Does this work?

It's a great watch, beautifully finished, really great colors on the dial, some might say "historical" movement (obviously)....it's a re-issue.

Zenith released it on a black croc (or maybe it was just croc-grain calf?) but for whatever reason, I didn't care much for it.

Perhaps it's because I've already got a couple of watches on black croc and/or lizard, and wanted something at least slightly different. (Granted, it's still black).

Any suggestions that might improve upon this combo?

I've got quite a few other straps in my possession (like most watch nerds) and nothing else has really "clicked" so far.

20mm--so it's a very common size.

15. in stitches

i like it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.