The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

So I've been away for awhile (business travel) and apparently I've missed all the fun.

Don't you guys ever take another Kate Upton tangent without me.

2. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Jeezus, I mean stitchy even got a new fancy avatar.

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:bounce2:
    --
    also, i promise all kate upton discussions and pics will make there way to your attention.
    ---

glad ur back tho!

Last edited: May 13, 2013

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

This will be one of my moral obligations.

Check out the winning bids from the Christie's auction yesterday, preview article here from Hodinkee:

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/that-time-a-rolex-explorer-sold-for-182000

There are some very high bids here. Case in point, a Patek 5970 in platinum - perpetual calendar chronograph - cleared for $220,060:

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...4779&sid=20cbb0fb-a8fe-4403-8a13-75e55df382fa

There's a bunch of 5970P's being offered for anywhere from $40,000 to $50,000 less right now. I mean - I understand if you have cash to burn on watches. You might even burn a ton of cash on super duper one-of-a-kind rare pieces (3448 that's possibly one of a kind? Patek 3700 Nautilus in platinum?).

But do you really want to burn an extra $40,000 to $60,000 if you can get exactly the same piece? I mean, seriously. A dealer offered me a Patek sealed BNIB 5970P just yesterday for significantly less than $220,060.

Crazy stuff.

5. dlm4114

dlm4114 Senior member

Man I just love that blue, and I've only ever seen Rolex do the blue sub with WG. What you said makes sense though, I can see trying to recoup retail on that watch requiring an awful lot of patience. The stealthiness is cool too, ha.

6. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I guess it depends who's in the room more than anything.

A few months ago, I wandered into the John Lobb shop in Dubai Mall (as one does). I was surprised at how high the prices were, and said so. I asked the salesman - a central Asian-looking fellow - how they managed to sell any shoes. After all, the rent will be a killer, and I could find any of their shoes online for half the price once I'd tried them on. He replied that sometimes a few weeks would pass without a single pair being sold. "Then one Russian man will come...and buy everything."

I think we might overestimate how much the world compares prices online. Russians in particular don't use the net much for commerce; they somehow don't trust it. The cost and irregularity of delivery can also be an issue, I'm told. But also, ask yourself how many leading watch sites are available in Mandarin, Russian, Arabic? Some people just don't do what we would do, and certainly dont do it in English. And some people like auctions, and can just bid until they win!

7. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Interesting perspective, and probably right.

Funny - reminds me of my reaction when I went into the Lattanzi boutique on Madison. You can't buy much Lattanzi on line, it just blew me away that there's a viable market for shoes that cost more than cars... and I buy some luxury stuff.... I guess it's all relative. First clue should have been that you have to ring a doorbell to enter a shoe store.

8. richardatkinson

richardatkinson New Member

The Panerai PAM210 is incredible. I'm glad I stumbled upon this forum, nothing adds that finishing touch than a classic watch

9. no frills

no frills Senior member

^ Yes, it probably does depend on who's in the room. Of course, already conspiracy theories are flying around about how "certain watchmakers might have been there" to "bid up prices." Who knows, really.

Well, in any case, the tail wags the dog so now the marginal pricing for vintage white dial Rolex Explorer pieces may or may not be influenced by the fact that one of them cleared for $182,000 at the Christie's auction. OK then! mimo, imma gonna give you a deal. Since we're SF friends - nay, TWAT buddies - imma gonna let my Explorer I 114270 go for $50,000. Oh wait, it has a black dial and is a 2004 manufacture. OK, I'll give you another discount: $25,000, man! What a steal!

10. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Wait, I'm part Russian, I love auctions, and I'm not aware that I can find used watches on that thing you guys call the interwebz - I bid 100,000 on the black dial 2004 explorer!

11. no frills

no frills Senior member

Ha - fair enough! Impressive bid... let's wait to see if mimo will top it! [​IMG]

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I have a better idea. Buy me a now-ever-so-slightly-superseded Daytona just like yours. Then I will advertise yours for $80,000 for the next year on at least three websites, inflating the brand perceptions and desirability of what is on your wrist. You can easily get me a nice clean one with papers for about $10k (and with your connections, less), while making seven times that in residual value on yours, thanks to my manipulation of the used market.

Or you could cut out the middle man and just advertise yours for a silly price. But then how do people like me make a living?

Last edited: May 14, 2013

13. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Volume!

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Here is a better look at the 38mm vintage Omega, now that I have a new strap on it and have pointed my camera in its general direction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Flake

Flake Senior member

Wow! That's a classic beauty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.