1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Mezentius, why not the Nomos Orion?

1 person likes this.
  2. mimo

mimo Senior member

I like the Orion - the standard one but in the 38mm size would be my personal choice. Reasonable price too, I think (about $2200 for that one if I recall correctly). Very much a dress watch, perhaps a bit plain for our man if he didn't like the standard Max Bill? But the blued hands and small seconds go a long way for me. Yummy.

3. mezentius

mezentius Senior member

Right now, it's because if I were to get a Nomos it would be for practicality (safety, discretion, cost-efficiency) rather than because I am in love with it, like the JLC/Chronoswiss/Max Bill. Mimo has it right at the moment, but I suspect it's one of those watches you have to see in person to appreciate, so it's still on my list. Well, that or the Zurich. Still not quite sure why the Zurich is 2k more, though, of it it's worth it. In any case, heading out to have a peek at the watches around town tomorrow, got a list of IWC/JLC and Nomos ADs here in Sydney. Plenty of time to think about this, though - going to wait until the next time I go overseas before I buy so I can get the sales tax refund, unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse...

P.S. HHHHRRRNNNGGG @ the JLC pictures.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  4. mimo

mimo Senior member

I would say the Orion is simpler and more understated than the Zurich if that's your purpose. And you've plenty of change left from your budget. One thing I forgot to suggest before: if something's not available in your market, look up some wrist shots too - it's very different from seeing the catalogue pictures, and you can get a much better idea of finish, colours and scale from seeing a few on other people, even in photographs.

Happy shopping. :)

5. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Today I spent my lunchtime in the street outside my office, in a parked 911 4S looking at two Patek 5980s, an Explorer II 1655 and a Daytona 6239. I love that my local second hand dealer has a take-away service :nodding: (Actually, he is not the only one I know who does it, I sometimes sit in a japanese SUV doing the same thing ... ) I wore my Nautilus 5712 to compare to the 5980s. Sorry, no pictures were taken.

I have to say, the white 5980 is hot! I have tried it on at ADs before, but never had the chance to try it alongside the blue 5980.

I had a few scenarios in mind, one of which involved trading in my 5712 (and another watch) for one of them. Now, that is not happening. The thinness of the 5712 (and the 5711, of course) is really what the Nautilus is supposed to be all about. So descreet under the cuff and still cool with short sleeves.

But the 5980 is still very, very cool! Just in a different way than the 5712. I happen to love the Nautilus bracelet the way most watch nuts speak of the RO bracelet (which I don't care much for in the 15300 or 15300, but the 15202 is nice!). It's just so slinky and smooth around my wrist. The 5980 has a slightly beefier bracelet, just enough to accomodate the chunkier case of the chrono. The whole package just looks cool, and is way more comfortable on me than any Royal Oak chrono.

The other scenario, seeing as I'm not getting rid of the 5712, involves getting rid of a whole bunch of nice watches to pay for the 5980. That I don't know if it's worth.

What do you think of the 5980 in white? Sacrilege? What if you already have a blue Nautilus? :embar:

The white dial lacks a lot of the depth of the blue (and grey), but instead you get a non-contrasting subdial, which I think is perhaps just as cool as the contrasting one of the blue. Makes the dial bigger. Also, the black hands and indeces are quite different, and very legible. I love the black on white hands of the polar Explorer II, and this has something similar going on.

I have no idea what the apparant discontinuation of the 5980 is going to mean to the market for these watches. The white 5980 can't have been sold in great numbers. Not that it is what matters, but it is a point to perhaps counter the fact that the blue dial is so, so classic.

Anyway, these are my confused thoughts of the day, while I wait for my code to compile. (To non-techies: An excuse not to do actual work.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An oh, what about the Rolexes? The 1655 is super cool, but unsure about this particular one. The case was too perfect. Originated in Hong Kong, and I'm a sceptic. I'm sure it's authentic, but they get awfully good a laserwelding over there ... Still, I would love to own one. The Daytona is of course amazing, but on the hand the old case is rather diminutive for a sports chrono. I think I prefer my vintage Rolexes to be 40mm or thereabout.

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Farhad - love the vintage Omega!
    Quote:I've seen one in person, though it was some time ago. I remember thinking it was a well-finished piece in terms of case and dial. Surprisingly easy to tell the time with the single hand once you get used to it - which for me was a matter of minutes. I felt then, and still feel now, that the single hand was a difference for the sake of difference alone, with no real benefit. It's the kind of piece you might want to add to an established rotation just for the sake of variety - but consider whether the aesthetics and technical merits of the piece will endure once the one-hand novelty has worn off.

1 person likes this.
  7. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

those are lovely, NS. for the nautilus i am partial to the blue dial.

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Interesting question NS! I quite enjoyed your thoughts on the 5980.

I do not know how I feel about the 5980 and 5712 combination, especially when it means selling off other watches. I feel like the two might be a tad duplicative. But it is interesting to hear your opinion regarding the different "feel" of two very similar watches. I agree with your general sentiment that the essence of the Nautilus (and the Royal Oak) is the thinness of the watch. I think that the relative thinness is what sets them apart from other sports watches. So I could definitely see how the 5980 would give a completely different feel than the 5712.

But I wanted to touch on the white-dialed Nautilus. I recently had the chance to examine the 5711 in both blue and white, and I have to say, I was relatively smitten by the white-dialed version. It just looked so darn clean. And I will admit, I am very, very attracted to white-dialed watches. The polar explorer is arguably one of my favorite watches from the Rolex stable (I just wish it was a bit smaller). In a vacuum, I think that I would probably pick the white dialed version over the blue dialed version. But when you consider the larger picture, the white dialed Nautilus is much less attractive than the original. I think it is hard to separate the watch from its history. In the same vein, I don't think I would ever consider a white dialed Speedmaster. It is just one of those watches that you purchase for both its history as well as its aesthetics.

I am torn, to say the least.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi NS,

The 1655 is a very cool Rolex...but if the case is too perfect, then sometimes as you suspect there could be some laser welding etc. I'd rather get something in superb condition, that may show a few signs of wear, but which I would not be concerned that it had been altered.

As for the 5980...the simply advice and best for your wallet, don't buy it. Overall, I really like the Nautilus line up, but the 5980 is my least favorite of that collection. I find the thickness, and the chrono pushers on the side give it a bloated look that I find unflattering. I also do not care for the subdial within a subdial design of the dial, particularly on the blue. I find it very disruptive to the overall look of the watch, and IMHO this is a model that strays too far from the elegance that is part of Nautilus DNA. Maybe, it will work as an investment as so many PPs go up in value when production ends ...but sadly its a design that just doesn't interest me in the least. I greatly prefer the 5711, 5712, and original 3700 over the 5980.

That being said, if you were going to purchase one, oddly I find the white dial more attractive (even though I generally favor dark dials). Wishing you lots of luck and fun with whatever you decide!

1 person likes this.
  10. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

The difference in Nomos pricing is largely due to the difference in the movements. All their movements are built inhouse. The alpha, which is in the Orion, is their base manual movement and the epsilon, in the base Zurich, was their first developed automatic movement. I still highly recommend taking a peek at the Zurich Weltzeit.

If movements aren't your thing, or you don't see the value in them, you should skip Nomos because that's the bulk of their value IMO.

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

OMG WE'RE TWINSIES!!!

[​IMG]

12. mimo

mimo Senior member

There's a whole pod full around here.

13. ridethecliche

Thanks for taking away my dreams of mimo-twinhood. Now I'll have to relegate myself by wearing denim to work.

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

[​IMG]

Triplets.

1 person likes this.
  15. mimo

mimo Senior member

Hush that crazy talk, RTC. We all brothers here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. ridethecliche

Haha, thanks @mimo !

@Newcomer , I love the metal band, but I bought mine with a rubber strap at first. I like the nato strap I put on there now though. So far it has seen the original rubber strap, a leather strap with a bit of orange in it, and this black and orange nato strap. The leather strap really irritated my wrist so I had to get rid of it.

Also, my other timepiece, a hamilton Khaki automatic. This was a graduation gift from my folks four years ago. I bought the Orange monster for a 'fun' watch since I didn't want to get beer all over this one. My only annoyance with the OM is that the face scratches very easily.

For budget timepieces, I'm happy with both of them. I bought the OM for about 300 and the Hamilton was about 500 used. I'm looking forward to adding a simple watch without a chronograph to my budding collection.

[​IMG]

17. mimo

mimo Senior member

Yes, you definitely need a dress watch. Sounds like perhaps a Nomos Orion could be on your wish list too. Though as used watches don't seem to be an issue for you, you could get something really interesting for less dough with a bit of hunting. My Omega has family history, but on eBay would probably go for about $300. Go up to $1k and thereabouts and all manner of wonders are there.

18. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Im a blue too.

Nice decision to have to make :D

Dino, as ever, offers an interesting insight...

1 person likes this.
  19. mimo

mimo Senior member

On NS's question, I think if it were the only Nauti then blue. But as he's got the blue 5711, then white. Give it its own personality. And I think it looks cool anyway.

However, for once, I'm going to anti-enable: NS, I don't think you love it enough. If you did, you'd know which one it had to be. And it's going to cost you a lot of other lovely pieces. And the only justification you can talk yourself into is investment value. Now, call me old fashioned, but I think you should only spend big on something that really sets your heart alight. And this doesn't seem to, not quite.

20. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

^^ Sound advice, there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.