The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kai

Kai Senior member

Bei Hai and black tie:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

While I agree there are many cool functions on watches that no one uses, someone with a rattrapante chrono could activate that function if they chose to. What is someone with a Milguass going to do ...ask his health insurance company to let him get a bunch of MRIs he doesn't need so he can test out how highly anti magnetic his watch is? [​IMG]

No, functionality doesn't have to close the deal, however at this point, IMHO, unless you work in a hospital near an MRI department, its mostly a styling exercise. Nothing wrong with that, hell there are several versions of GMTs, Daytonas, and Subs, and I suppose 1 version of each would be sufficient. However, I just see GMTs, Subs, and Daytonas as being able to do something useful in addition to telling time...the Milguass not so much.

In the end whatever watch puts the biggest smile on the OPs face is the one to go with.

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i think at this moment, the 2 rolexes i covet are the black/blue GMT and the green crystal milgauss. for purely aesthetic reasons.

4. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Partly because you're weird. But I get you, because so am I (and I really like that GMT too).

Dino, you do make sense. But given there isn't much difference in price between, say, a Datejust and a Milgauss, getting the latter just because you like the look of it doesn't seem at all silly to me. And after all, the function of a watch at all is questionable these days, when my thirty dollar quartz Sekonda keeps better time than a Patek Philippe, and my ubiquitous Blackberry sets itself to the right time repeatedly and regardless of time zone, without my intervention making even that relatively redundant. Yet for some reason I am spending money and headaches on repairing a scruffy old mechanical Omega, and even got my Saddam Hussain Rodania cleaned up recently. Maybe saying "if I were to leave my watch by some magnetic device by accident, it would be protected from harm" is just as relevant as saying "my Submariner is water resistance to 300 metres", and probably more so! I'm all for brilliantly-engineered theoretical uselessness in the name of art.

It's all about the love, isn't it?

Last edited: May 12, 2013

5. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

6. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I am ever so slightyly nauseated, and thinking of all the other ways $500k could be spent. ;)

7. in stitches

mimo - personally, i also dont really get terribly concerned with the practicality of a complication or function on a watch. more the complexity of the watch as an art or achievement, and how the watch appeals to me aesthetically. the rest is gravy.

also, i would never buy a rolex for a complication. what rolex i would buy would be purely for that rugged rolexness (NEW WORD!!!) and what model i like the looks of best. i would turn to other makers for any kind of complication.

also, weird is as weird does.

8. theantiquematinee

theantiquematinee Senior member

My submission to the discussion. Having had a sub ceramic on my wrist for several months I missed the simplicity, and size of the Explorer. Thanks to DerekS who took good care of her. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2013

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

[​IMG]

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

11. Zeppelin

Zeppelin Senior member

+1 for the awesomeness of the GV. I think the regular models are just so-so, but there is something about the combination of the orange and green that makes the GV simply stunning. I like it because it's hard to recognize as a Rolex. A really ideosyncratic model. Definitely not as iconic as the Submariner or GMT, but again - that's making it even more interesting.

Speaking of the GMT, I'd fancy the Pepsi model, but that would be a weekend wearer for me. Definitely not business-worthy (unless you're a pilot).

12. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

You should try that BR1 Airborne with black diamonds. HRM likes it, I think.

13. in stitches

theantiquematinee - nice looking explorer.

14. theantiquematinee

theantiquematinee Senior member

Thanks stich!

15. dlm4114

dlm4114 Senior member

Is that the white gold sub?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.