The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Also, piggybacking on Dino's point, I feel like you have to distinguish watches from other consumer goods.

Let me make a quick example. Lets say you commission a suit from Rubinacci. Or a pair of shoes from Delos. There is a finite life to that product, whether it be 10 years, 20 years, or maybe a bit more. The suit may need alterations, or the shoes may need to be resoled. Yes, you could ship them back to the manufacturer. But a good cobbler should have no issue taking care of you. Or a good tailor should have no problem making the appropriate alterations. The risk that is accompanied by the "romanticism" of purchasing from a small operation is not very large in these circumstances.

Now, lets switch over to watches. A watch will tick for a while, but it requires maintenance. It requires maintenance every 5 years or so, at the most (well, that can be a debate for another day). It will need spare parts as well. A watch will also last for I don't even know how long if it is well-cared for. With the current materials that are being used, I really do not know how long watches made now will last, but I am sure they will hold up better than what was produced in the 20s and 30s. A watch is something you will likely pass onto your children one day. With all that in mind, part of what you are paying for when you buy from a larger brand is the assurance that all of these parts will be available down the road. Namely with Patek, they effectively warrant that they will be able to fix your watch, for the right price. The Habrings that you are looking at WILL need parts. And although most of them are not finished by hand, they do make modifications on the movements. Modifications that likely will not be available if Habring ever goes defunct.

This is more of a buyer beware type of thing. I want to venture into Indy land one day. But it will be at that point in time when I have already accumulated what I want from less risky sources.

I understand the desire to buy from a small outfitter, I am just trying to illustrate that watches are a different type of product that guitars, shoes, suits, et alii.

And personally, I like Habrings, and I think that the doppelchrono especially is an incredibly cool piece.

Last edited: May 8, 2013

2. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

i have an explorer...absolutely love it. I wear mine with a suit, with a t shirt and jeans, and with nothing at all :uhoh:

Personally, id get one of those over a small independent company...but i also REALLY consider resell value into my purchase.

3. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

it is. They go for REALLY reasonable too...which is why i wanted to kop one awhile back. but it was just too small for my liking.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

dropping knowledge per usual. agree with all that. not much more to say.

that being said, imo, dont let anyone tell you what to buy. ask questions about things you are unsure of, gather data, and then decide based on what appeals most to you. do that, and you have the highest chance of being confident and happy with your purchase, whatever it may be.

BFAM!

5. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Exactly what I am hoping for from the generous knowledge of others.

I will say that my hesitancy with vintage is not knowing reputable dealers and not knowing anything about what to look for with respect to movements, authenticity, etc. Buying new from an AD eliminates those concerns.

6. in stitches

very good. :)

that is a fair point, but you can always ask questions to the dealer, ask people here, and get references when buying vintage. i understand you are uncomfortable with that, i was very hesitant about going outside an AD as well, but if you poke around a bit, it will open up your options significantly. just make sure you are comfortable with the transaction. i had a lot of hand holding when i bought non AD, both from the seller, and people here, and i am glad i went for it.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Its not necessarily the movement that will be an issue with respect to parts, its small proprietary parts that get worn out or damaged. My friend's watch that he could not get repaired was powered by an ETA movement, the problem was a broken bezel that could not be replaced or repaired. It still told time, but it looked like crap.

8. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

Took the stickers off and sized it today.
    [​IMG]

Regards.

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

10. in stitches

+1. look beautiful.

11. no frills

no frills Senior member

Sometimes you bump into timepieces that take your breath away, even when you're wearing your grail.

[​IMG]

Which one do you prefer? Left: perpetual calendar chronograph in platinum (Patek ref 3970P) or perpetual calendar minute repeater (Patek ref 3974J)?

12. in stitches

i do love, and i mean LOVE, a repeater, but i think the day date on the perp cal chrono evens out the dial nicer. will take both to go please!

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I agree with Stitchy. Minute repeater aside, I like yours better.

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Aside from the entertaining chiming, there is a rarity factor that makes the minute repeater an incredibly special. Lots of people have chronographs, even from top brands. There are also probably a good number of perpetual calendar watch owners out there. The number of people with perpetual calendar chronographs is probably small. But if you want to go somewhere and probably be the only guy at an event with an unusual and complicated watch go for a minute repeater.

That ,being said I'd opt for the 3970. It's sibling the 3974 is an interesting watch, but to me it seems like something more suitable for my father or grandfather. The 3970 is a slightly more sporty option and something that IMHO could be worn by some of any age group. I'd go with a 3970, but really either would be fine with me.

Last edited: May 9, 2013

15. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

If I was to have the... blessing to purchase a minute repeater, I think I would have to pick this bad boy. [​IMG] [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: May 8, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.