The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

Eh, as with most marriages I suspect you can learn to live with such a minor quirk. Especially if you did end up with this rather dazzlingly beautiful spouse.

Was it DerekS or someone else who wrote a few pages back that it's basically like quibbling over Cindy Crawford's mole or something...

Last edited: May 4, 2013

2. ErikW

ErikW Senior member

Perhaps a dumb question (pardon my ignorance), but my first watch out of college was a Speedmaster reduced. Besides the obvious size difference, is there a big difference between the Speedmaster reduced and the Speedmaster? I found the reduced was okay, but the crystal got scratched easily and it lost it's appeal pretty quickly (for me).

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

dont know who said it, but i heartily agree. :)

4. 6up

6up Senior member

reduced = automatic movement
    Speedaster = manual, more authentic to the one that went up in space

5. apropos

apropos Senior member

Aside from the fact that one holds an arguably legendary movement and the other an arguably pedestrian one? ;)

I keed, I keed, they both fulfill what they were designed for. The Speedy needs no introduction, the reduced offers most of the Speedy looks in a smaller package that fits smaller wrists well and eliminates the need for manual winding, which I know some people find ++++ annoying.

Well, the bracelet is slightly different in its proportion of brushed/non-brushed parts. The reduced does not have a see through caseback, which many non-reduced Speedys have. The dials are different in their layout - partly because of the diameter change - with the most obvious difference being that the hour baton markers are not cut off on the non-reduced.

The crystal will get scratched just as easily on the non-reduced Speedy as the reduced, unless of course you are getting the sapphire glass version.

6. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I heard somewhere that the Speedmaster reduced is Omega's best-selling watch. Has anyone else heard this?

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Frills, I also noticed the borders around the stars and I think its a really cool effect. I like that its really dark around the stars! Its still a beautiful moon phase display. Its simply different from what Lange has done. Each brand has a lot to offer its customers and each follows a different path.

The textured moon is something I sometimes like and sometimes don't like. In addition, most times it doesn't have star (and I like the stars) because the process of super heating gold would make the stars textured too, and I don't know that it would be that attractive. Piaget did a textured moon in 2009 to celebrate man landing on the moon, and their's had an imprint of Buzz Aldrin's boot print on the moon.
    +1.

Save up and buy what you really want. Everyone is different, maybe the B&M will satisfy your desire to have a watch now. However, if your like me, it won't satisfy your desire to get the watch you truly want. I would rather save up for the watch I truly want. Just my 2 cents.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG] I think we had our fun with that topic previously, so I won't go there. [​IMG]
    Classic, wishing you luck with your decision Roger.
    Sorry, I don't care for it, and I am someone that really loves asymmetric dials and watch cases. This looks like a jumbled mess to me. There is simply too much happening, we have a mix of arrow heads & Arabic markers, 3 styles of guilloche, a big honking plaque for Elite Automatic (sorry doesn't need it, one for the brand is all I can stand), the hands look "Too heavy" for this dial or for something that is supposed to I guess be dressy. In addition, everything is so close to the center of the watch that it looks like it was probably a movement from a smaller watch that they dumped into a bigger case. I'd search for something else, as they do make some really nice watches.
    It wasn't me previously, but that mole always annoyed the hell of of me. She's hot and all, but as she gets older I can imagine some big black hairs popping out of it...yuck!

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I suspect this sums up everything about you here - how utterly impossible you are, and why we yet revere you for your excruciating attention to detail. [​IMG]

10. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

If it makes you feel any better Dino, I'm about to hop in to a marathon to pace my wife and may get tackled with the increased security haha.

11. HarveySpecter

HarveySpecter Member

[​IMG]
    My Rolex Oyster Perpetual Day-Date 18kt Yellow Gold Watch
    Model #118238

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Incidentally, Dino, to me it's always important that she looks just as good from the back. I'll take this one over Cindy...:)

[​IMG]

13. Flake

Flake Senior member

That's some killer work of art right there. Even better in person where you can get some sense of the three dimensional depth.

14. no frills

no frills Senior member

I do understand this sentiment. We've written before about not wanting to compromise for anything, given the stratospheric price points of some timepieces. I do think part of the nature of whether you think something represents a "compromise" or not is certainly personal and subjective (which you always allowed for).

For example, the 3970 has been criticized for not quite having an ideal "size to height" ratio. That it looks "too fat" because its case size is 36mm but it is relatively "tall" at 12.9mm (chronograph movements usually add a bit of thickness). It has even been called a "hamburger watch." Yuck, who would want to own something like that?

Here is a picture of the "hamburger watch" - at an angle to hopefully show its relative thickness versus its "small" case size.

[​IMG]

For me, however, I think it's absolutely perfect. It's one man's "fat" versus this man's "perfection." I will happily stay "married" to this piece until it's time to give it to my daughters.

To continue the supermodel analogy, this young lady was "roundly" (sorry for the pun) criticized when these pictures came out:

[​IMG]

"OMG - she's fat," others crowed. "No way she should be modeling on a catwalk!" - others said.

Sports Illustrated and thousands of other men - including myself - disagreed. Twice on the cover of SI Swimsuit Edition!

[​IMG]

Again, if her "look" ain't your cup of tea, that's all good. From my perspective, she looks mighty fine.

To use a watch analogy, I'm quite impressed by the lovely balance of the subdials and lugs, and the finishing looks first rate.

15. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Thank you Dino - at 38mm it is quite oversized for a vintage piece - and fairly unique. I will be meeting with the owner on Tuesday to look it over, and also a contemporary Omega piece that he is tempting me with as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.