The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Are you implying that any technical development should be rejected if it was made under the Nazi regime? Based on this logic the Speedmaster is a Nazi watch. After all we would've never made it to the moon without the help of Persons who had the bad luck of having to work under the Nazis.

In any case, back on track:

[​IMG]

2. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

3. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Sorry to bring it up yet AGAIN but I re-stumbled upon this while web surfing and I can't help myself.. Since we've been talking about Moons and Germans and what not I figure it's still topical..

I would be so happy with this newer PML.

[​IMG]

4. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

Dino doesn't like that I love that watch haha. I actually brought it up again in my rationale to Newcomer for not loving the Lange 1 Moonphase.

5. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

yikes let's do anything EXCEPT talk about Nazis ok?

so question... I'm looking for a new dress watch that will usually be worn with natural/neutral tones and leathers... about a $2K budget and I'm wide open to suggestions. Round face, 40mm max, auto preferred, simple and classic aesthetics, Roman numerals a possibility, no yellow gold...

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  6. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

Are you open to vintage? Do you care about the movement outside of it being an auto?

7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Sounds like a watch I am presently contemplating - except it's manual wind, not automatic:

[​IMG]

8. Kid Nickels

Not super vintage... I'd prefer something "newer"... like mid-90's and up and obviously clean. My first idea was a 2nd hand Zenith of some type. Movements will vary I suppose with the quality of the watch. It will be a "good" dress watch for the next couple years before I'm ready to upgrade.

I know I'm not being terribly specific but part of that was to yield suggestions from the wisdom of the forum at large I wouldn't have otherwise thought of. Thanks!

that's a great start Roger!... what model Omega is that? ( auto preference but not mandatory )

9. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

You can find a second hand Zenith within your budget.

10. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Just came across the Zenith Class Elite Moonphase - any thoughts on this watch (not my pic)?

[​IMG]

11. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

:inlove:

12. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

If you plan on upgrading so soon I'd actually recommend saving some money and just getting the auto version of the Stowa MO, and putting the savings towards the upgrade.

13. Kid Nickels

Thanks DL... It's funny you say that b/c my other two ideas that came admittedly without much consideration were exactly the Stowa MO or possibly a Nomos Orion. Stowa bang-for-buck is great and I think I would enjoy that. I'm not very knowledgeable about Nomos.

The Tukker... I REALLY like that Zenith you posted, but those are pretty pricey new... did you find one 2nd hand somewhere you'd be willing to share? ... that's a beauty!

14. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

You can't go wrong with Nomos either. Honestly the short term upgrade would make me lean to the less expensive watch, and then keep it as more of a "beater" for travel or what have you. But only you can really make that decision.

15. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

I don´t have any good watch. Bought some swatch watch with a dial I like, but it´s super cheap and the case is plastic. Basically bought it just to have something to wear. Now, I´ve come to like wearing watches, and would like something I can wear with confidence. I am also a huge fan of white dials with leather straps. The A. Lange & Söhne one posted here was just amazing, unfortunately far off my price range.

Thanks for the good advice. I´ll decide upon getting the condition confirmed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.