1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Distinguished Member

yikes let's do anything EXCEPT talk about Nazis ok?

so question... I'm looking for a new dress watch that will usually be worn with natural/neutral tones and leathers... about a $2K budget and I'm wide open to suggestions. Round face, 40mm max, auto preferred, simple and classic aesthetics, Roman numerals a possibility, no yellow gold...

Last edited: May 4, 2013

2. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

Are you open to vintage? Do you care about the movement outside of it being an auto?

3. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Sounds like a watch I am presently contemplating - except it's manual wind, not automatic:

[​IMG]

4. Kid Nickels

Not super vintage... I'd prefer something "newer"... like mid-90's and up and obviously clean. My first idea was a 2nd hand Zenith of some type. Movements will vary I suppose with the quality of the watch. It will be a "good" dress watch for the next couple years before I'm ready to upgrade.

I know I'm not being terribly specific but part of that was to yield suggestions from the wisdom of the forum at large I wouldn't have otherwise thought of. Thanks!

that's a great start Roger!... what model Omega is that? ( auto preference but not mandatory )

5. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

You can find a second hand Zenith within your budget.

6. TheTukker

TheTukker Distinguished Member

Just came across the Zenith Class Elite Moonphase - any thoughts on this watch (not my pic)?

[​IMG]

7. TheTukker

TheTukker Distinguished Member

:inlove:

8. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

If you plan on upgrading so soon I'd actually recommend saving some money and just getting the auto version of the Stowa MO, and putting the savings towards the upgrade.

9. Kid Nickels

Thanks DL... It's funny you say that b/c my other two ideas that came admittedly without much consideration were exactly the Stowa MO or possibly a Nomos Orion. Stowa bang-for-buck is great and I think I would enjoy that. I'm not very knowledgeable about Nomos.

The Tukker... I REALLY like that Zenith you posted, but those are pretty pricey new... did you find one 2nd hand somewhere you'd be willing to share? ... that's a beauty!

10. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

You can't go wrong with Nomos either. Honestly the short term upgrade would make me lean to the less expensive watch, and then keep it as more of a "beater" for travel or what have you. But only you can really make that decision.

11. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior Member

I don´t have any good watch. Bought some swatch watch with a dial I like, but it´s super cheap and the case is plastic. Basically bought it just to have something to wear. Now, I´ve come to like wearing watches, and would like something I can wear with confidence. I am also a huge fan of white dials with leather straps. The A. Lange & Söhne one posted here was just amazing, unfortunately far off my price range.

Thanks for the good advice. I´ll decide upon getting the condition confirmed.

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

in general i am not much of nit picker when it comes to watches, but i really wish these both had a dot between the 31 and the 1. sorry to be a debbie downer. i love both the watches, that just struck me in the close ups.
    i have this in the blue faced non chrono version and i love it. if you like the chrono above, i highly recommend it. and the price seems very fair.
    i would marry this watch.

13. no frills

no frills Distinguished Member

WHAT? Are you sure about that, stitchy? You wouldn't go CRAZY like the guy in this picture once you realize that THERE IS NO DOT BETWEEN THE 31 AND THE 1???????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

lol, indeed that is an issue, maybe because it is in a different color font, it did not jump out at me. also, like i said, its a nit pick that i would likely never had thought of had i not been looking at a macro pic.

15. Hayward

Hayward Distinguished Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.